TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Now this is luxury!

Discussion in 'Electric Vehicles' started by mspohr, Apr 24, 2018.

1. mspohr

mspohr Well-Known Member

Mercedes' Electric Maybach SUV Comes With a Built-In Tea Kettle, Because Fancy

It is often debated whether Tesla is a true "luxury" car and Tesla has been criticized for not having enough bells and whistles to be a real "luxury" car.
    As THE standard of luxury, I offer this Mercedes Maybach concept vehicle unveiled at the Beijing auto show.
    "The car starts with an overly long hood (despite the absence of an engine to put in it), and the rear two thirds look as if they have been contracted and converted into some extra height. More pleasing exterior details include turbine-style, 24-inch wheels, and door handles that lie flush against the body, and pop out when in use, like the ones on a Tesla."

It has an outrageously oversized grill (all the better to cool that electric motor). Also... glass in the roof!

If you look at the pictures of the interior, you'll see that it comes with a tea set and flowers and lots of fancy stitching on the upholstery. The dashboard is a riot of grills, pockets and CHROME!!! The inside is ALL WHITE!

I think Tesla can only aspire to such heights of luxury and will have a hard time keeping up ;)

• Funny x 2
  2. R.S

R.S Active Member

I think they have mostly been criticized for build quality and materials used. And while I like my S, there is a lot to improve for a future generation S (and X). I've even heard the Model 3 has better build quality, than the Model S...

3. BlueRocket

BlueRocket S90D HW3.0 upgrade MCU1 "FSD" 2020.24.6.11

Lordy, Lordy... This car makes me mildly nauseous :eek:

• Like x 2
    • Funny x 2
  4. bak_phy

bak_phy Member

Not to mention burned as the tea kettle lands in your lap.

• Funny x 2
  5. AustinPowers

AustinPowers Total Smeghead

The Chinese will love it. Tea ceremony to go :p

• Funny x 1
  6. Johann Koeber

Johann Koeber Active Member

According to the pictures in the article it looks a bit 'awkward' (lacking a better word). I much prefer the design of any of the tesla cars.

But it is not for the european market anyway.

7. mspohr

mspohr Well-Known Member

I do think this is purpose built for the Chinese market. They will love it.

8. voyager

voyager Member

The auto industry has come full circle. After branching out to SUVs, Maybach has now decided that it is an old-fashioned, jacked up saloon car that people want.

• Funny x 1
  9. AustinPowers

AustinPowers Total Smeghead

Of course it is. Who else - other than the Chinese (and maybe members of the British aristocracy) - would buy a totally overpriced, overstyled ultra-luxury car with a tea set in the center console? Ok, come to think of it, the Middle Eastern markets might also be interested. The more you think about it, this exercise in research for potential markets might turn into a list like this one:

:p

• Funny x 1