Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Now this is something actually media and regulatory worthy

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
and this is why the western world is increasingly unable to afford to make anything any more.

Cost to our Health service of claims last year $1.5B! and forecast to increase by 20% yoy!
Think how that investment could improve the care offered for everyone else and how many lives could be saved.

If we keep self-righteously suing the ar$e off our companies and other public bodies ad infinitum we will simply destroy them.

... then end up buying stuff from China who couldn't give a sh*t.

I, nor any rational person, would condone corporate malfeasance, but we have to get a better perspective on limited liability.

If Tesla were to successfully be sued for eg $100m because an owner apparently died whilst not following clear guidance as to the used of the vehicle and its systems and whilst driving at 90mph illegally in excess of the speed limit, one person's estate gets $100m everyone else get $100m less investment in product development and safety which would be quite simply increase the risk for all other owners.

I am no particular fan or otherwise of GM but do you guys really want to see it trashed so that the Chinese with naff all regulation can fill the space left behind?

You're not factoring in corporate greed which compromises quality for short term profit. GM implemented cheap and flawed ignition switches due to cost cutting and plain incompetence. Many people died as a result of their carelessness. Should they get away with it simply because they went bankrupt?

@thegruf , I'm not sure I follow your logic. Sure lawsuits are bad in general. They increase cost, and give foreign companies who aren't being sued an edge. But that does not apply to this situation. GM knew they had a defective product and hid it. They argue that because they went bankrupt and "reorganized" into a new company, they are no longer responsible for their previous mistakes. That's like saying if I sell you an iPad which I made and I know is broken,and that iPad then malfunctions and burns your family member, I'm no longer liable because I just happened to go bankrupt and change my name in the meantime.