Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NSW EV charging master plan

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If things require revocation, Governments might forget to do it 😂

The Minister could issue a new order to extend the end date, but I don’t expect that will happen.
It probably should've been in effect for 3 or 5 years minimum. I feel like the past nine months flew by, before you know it the exemption is almost gone. Not gonna do much to encourage EV sales at this rate.

"The NSW Government is offering funding for councils to set up electric vehicle (EV) charging.
The state has extended the deadline to access funding for the purchase and installation of an electric vehicle (EV) charger. Submissions for EV destination charging grants can now be made up until Friday 11 November 2022"

"The NSW Government is offering funding for councils to set up electric vehicle (EV) charging. The state has extended the deadline to access funding for the purchase and installation of an electric vehicle (EV) charger. Submissions for EV destination charging grants can now be made up until Friday 11 November 2022"

The Inner West Council in Sydney has just opened its consultation on its EV strategy. I will be making a submission.

One of the things they want to encourage is EV charging at local service stations 🤮. Most local servos are the size of postage stamps with zero amenity. The last place you’d want to put an EV charger in my view. They haven’t quite got their head around the fact that the objective of EV charging is NOT to replicate the fossil fuel refuelling experience. It’s a very different problem with different solutions.

We need level 2 chargers at local shops and other destinations, the idea is to charge while you're doing something else. In the city I'd rather have a lot of level 2 than a few DC rapid chargers. Level 2 chargers are mostly FREE - 0.40 c/kWh. DC rapid chargers are 0.60 - 0.70 c/kWh (unless you have a discount).

Reactions: Borgy
We need level 2 chargers at local shops and other destinations, the idea is to charge while you're doing something else. In the city I'd rather have a lot of level 2 than a few DC rapid chargers. Level 2 chargers are mostly FREE - 0.40 c/kWh. DC rapid chargers are 0.60 - 0.70 c/kWh (unless you have a discount).

Exactly. The IWC strategy is mostly good and well-intentioned, but they do miss the mark in a number of places. They are overly fixated with DCFCs (they want to make them mandatory in new commercial buildings!) and seem oblivious to the advantages of wide-scale, low-cost AC charging in comparison.

Essentially, this looks a lot like a document that an ICE driver would write, thinking this is what EV drivers need.

Also Level 1/2/3 is US nomenclature that had its origins in making a distinction between 1-phase and 3-phase AC charging since 3-phase power to households is so rare in the USA. It’s not applicable here. Here we should just refer to AC and DC charging, with a power level.

Also Level 1/2/3 is US nomenclature that had its origins in making a distinction between 1-phase and 3-phase AC charging since 3-phase power to households is so rare in the USA. It’s not applicable here. Here we should just refer to AC and DC charging, with a power level.
Not entirely true. In North America (also Japan and a few other places) they have 2-pin and 3-pin sockets. Their bog-standard 2-pin socket is Active and Neutral. They have a bunch of 3-pin standards, but it's typically 2 Active phases and neutral. Different to here where our 3-pin standard is Active, Neutral and Earth.

* Level 1 uses one active pin (120V)
* Level 2 uses two active pins (240V)

If you look at a J1772 plug or your J1772 adapter, the pins are often labelled. You've got the 2 small control pins (CP - Control Pilot, and PP - Proximity Pilot), and the 3 main pins: L1, L2/N & PE. They're Line 1, Line 2/Neutral (so Line 2 on Level 2 charging, or Neutral on level 1 charging), and Protective Earth. It becomes self-explanatory around then.

If you look at a CCS Type 1 plug, you've got the exact same CP, PP and PE pins up top, and the big DC+ and DC- pins underneath.

This video does a good job explaining how the US 120 V system is wired to the transformer. Our transformers are wired differently so we don't have level 1 (120 V) charging, we only have level 2 (240 V).

TLDR;
US neutral is wired to a centre tap on the transformer, resulting in two 120 V to neutral phases 180 degrees out of phase, and 240 V phase to phase. This is still considered single phase as it's only connected to 1 of the grids 3 phases (confusingly 3 phase in the US is 208 V which is also level 2 charging).
AU neutral is wired to one end on the transformer

You will never guess which one is less expensive

This video does a good job explaining how the US 120 V system is wired to the transformer. Our transformers are wired differently so we don't have level 1 (120 V) charging, we only have level 2 (240 V).

Good explanation. The IWC still needs its terminology corrected - it’s not helpful to confuse it with the US situation. They even invented a “Level 4” for a 350 kW DCFC 🙄.

I was told the NSW Government will announce the results of the first round of fast-charging grants “soon”.

But that was quite a few weeks ago. So maybe it is “soon” in Elon-time? 🤔

Based on the draft timeline in the first prospectus, the first round results should have be been announced around August timeframe.

Perhaps finding good locations that met the government’s criteria (such as minimum 4 stalls per site with 8 stalls in high demand locations) and that also have good amenity and the electricty supply to support them, has proved to be a lot more difficult than they thought.

I was told the NSW Government will announce the results of the first round of fast-charging grants “soon”.

But that was quite a few weeks ago. So maybe it is “soon” in Elon-time? 🤔

Based on the draft timeline in the first prospectus, the first round results should have be been announced around August timeframe.

Perhaps finding good locations that met the government’s criteria (such as minimum 4 stalls per site with 8 stalls in high demand locations) and that also have good amenity and the electricty supply to support them, has proved to be a lot more difficult than they thought.
Election is 25 March- all announcements will be tightly controlled

Looks like the results are out, assume it must have been under embargo.
Can't find anything on Govt websites though

- 500 electric vehicle chargers will be rolled out across NSW over the next two years
- working with Ampol, BP, Evie Networks, Tesla, the NRMA and Zeus Renewables to install the chargers.
- each of the 86 charging sites will contain between four and 15 charging bays

So it's the first funding win for Tesla, and I can only assume a 15 bay charger is Tesla

Zeus Renewables is presumably providing green power

Last edited:
Map grabbed from that article for posterity.
52b2dd44c3627f3696af3fe0bbf7b9afb70306fd.jpeg

Along the Hume looks like
Albury, Holbrook, Gundagai, Yass x2, Goulburn, Marulan
And further East, duplication at Bega, Cooma and Jindabyne

New towns (assumedly NRMA) look like Narrabri, Coolabah, Robinvale, Griffith, Molong, Forbes, Musswellbrook

Last edited:
Map grabbed from that article for posterity.
View attachment 866562

Along the Hume looks like
Albury, Holbrook, Gundagai, Yass x2, Goulburn, Marulan
And further East, duplication at Bega, Cooma and Jindabyne

New towns (assumedly NRMA) look like Narrabri, Coolabah, Robinvale, Griffith, Molong, Forbes, Musswellbrook
Robinvale is Victoria, I think you mean Euston. Twin towns.

I wouldn't assume NRMA here, another option is Tesla. They look to be doing the Sydney/Canberra to Adelaide route with Wagga Wagga and Hay Superchargers already in the planning stages. Add in Euston and then possibly
Renmark/Berri in SA. (OTR Renmark Supercharger maybe?) Then assuming they find an alternate to Gawler council in SA that is then a fairly complete Syd-Adl corridor for Tesla.

There was mention of government funding in one of the council papers with reference to Tesla Superchargers, it might have even been Griffith, so Griffith is also another potential Tesla site and one we know is also in the planning stages and a good supplement in the Syd-Adl route.