Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NSW EV charging master plan

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looks like the results are out, assume it must have been under embargo.

You beat me to it, @moa999

Clearly my post yesterday was the trigger 😂 oh what influence I have 😂

This is a great start! But more is needed in regional - nothing (yet) in the far west or northwest, nothing new in the Cowra/Young/Grenfell area. Although I have been told that the Grenfell main street, which is currently a bit of a gravelly mess and has been that way for the past 18 months, will get DC fast chargers as part of that upgrade.

Duplication or quadruplication of all existing regional NRMA DCFCs should be high on the list as well!

Reactions: Braz
Along the Hume looks like
Albury, Holbrook, Gundagai, Yass x2, Goulburn, Marulan
Very interesting. I'm trying to figure where the 15 stall site (presumed Tesla supercharger) will be.

Between Sydney and Goulburn is the first place to look, since Goulburn supercharger is regularly full on busy weekends, and such a location services both Sydney-Canberra and Sydney-Melbourne.

Marulan? Likely to be the BP site mentioned elsewhere.

It could be a new site in Goulburn?

But a dark horse is Yass. There are two locations shown, could be a Tesla and another network. Yass is in a "sweet spot" distance from Sydney, in that it's far enough from Sydney that many Tesla owners will not need to stop until then (but without it, they would need to stop at Goulburn because they wouldn't reach Gundagai). This reduces load on Gundagai so the Canberra-Sydney travellers still benefit.

it's also a good distance from Wagga, which is also planned and on the route to Adelaide. (Note due to not being familiar with the area, and floods on certain roads, Google Maps isn't being helpful as to showing me the "usual" direct route - )

Plus we know that Tesla have a site at Yass approved, but haven't seen any activity, so perhaps they're going back to the drawing board for a larger site.

All just a guess! It could be Holbrook, which is more obvious since it has been on Tesla's coming soon map for a while, and the recent address leaks point to an RSL with lots of solar on the roof and an un-developed car park.

And if you want to get technical, nothing in the article said there was only one 15-stall site. But I think geographically, Yass is the more strategic location for a bigger one.

Reactions: Vostok and moa999
No one has mentioned the pin yet for Girilambone. Population 86 at the last Census. I am all for regional charging infrastructure but this site might be a bit premature. Would assume Nyngan would be a more strategic location servicing both the Barrier and Mitchell highways.

And if you want to get technical, nothing in the article said there was only one 15-stall site.

500 / 86 sites is an average of 5.8.
If you assume most other than Tesla do the minimum of 4.

72 sites @ 4 = 288 plus
14 sites @ 15 = 210
Totals 498 over 86 sites.

Suspect it will be somewhere in between, but certainly shows there needs to be a decent number of bigger sites

• Informative
Reactions: Chuq and Vostok
No one has mentioned the pin yet for Girilambone. Population 86 at the last Census. I am all for regional charging infrastructure but this site might be a bit premature. Would assume Nyngan would be a more strategic location servicing both the Barrier and Mitchell highways.
If you look historically at LNP grants that shouldn't be a shock. It's not just criteria that makes the decision

So they can have "on-site" spares ?

Ha ha, although the site at Wilcannia is effectively that. 2 stalls, with only one operational at any time, and which one can be remotely switched in case there is a hardware failure.

As we know, single-stall sites have a very high risk of contention. When I drove through Cowra only a week ago, another Model 3 had turned up at the single-stall NRMA charger only a few minutes before I did. Same thing happened once at Coolangatta a few months back (Chargefox). I never even try Nabiac (NRMA) any more, that site gets hammered.

Reactions: Sir Surfalot
Ha ha, although the site at Wilcannia is effectively that. 2 stalls, with only one operational at any time, and which one can be remotely switched in case there is a hardware failure.

As we know, single-stall sites have a very high risk of contention. When I drove through Cowra only a week ago, another Model 3 had turned up at the single-stall NRMA charger only a few minutes before I did. Same thing happened once at Coolangatta a few months back (Chargefox). I never even try Nabiac (NRMA) any more, that site gets hammered.
Thats the biggest problem with most EV charger investment it's not future proofed. They should be building now for 2030 demands not to meet 2025 demand.

TheDriven article features another map - close up of the Sydney area and surrounds:

vHDkQ2t.png

Going through the Sydney North and inner East sites.

- Balgowlah - probably Woolworths
- Chatswood - possibly Chatswood Chase
- Lane Cove - maybe Woolworths given Canopy already has Evie
- Longueville River Rd - ? Tennis club or small petrol station
- Bondi Junction - unknown. Maybe Tesla at Eastgate works with funding
- Randwick - Ampol
- Maroubra - Maroubra Junction
- Redfern/ Strawberry Hills - ? Nothing obvious to me
- Alexandria - possibly Tesla site or Homemaker Centre on O'Riordanl