Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NVX Boost Subwoofer upgrade - installed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Some songs are low on bass while others are bass heavy. You can dial in the bass song by song if you want. I use mine all of the time.
I know y’all don’t want to hear it but honestly running the two knobs makes a difference. I adjust mine dependent on knobs and adjust the bass on my EQ for it

Tesla EQ = family driving mode
Tesla EQ + bass knob = wife only driving mode
Tesla EQ + bass knob and LOC = 😈

The “wife mode” I can hear the enhance bass from the subs but without the volume intensity of the LOC. I would sorta explain it like “surround bass sound” while driving. You can totally set the LOC to 0 and bass knob to max and hear the difference. Only hooking up with the LOC you don’t have that option.

Just my two cents on my setup

Reactions: Kwame
That is slick, is this the wireless phone charging spot? Would love to hear more about your setup.
Yeah it is but I don’t even use it so now it’s my cockpit control area 😏. DM me if you want more details

One option I was debating was doing this within arms reach and for those who don’t need to lose that wireless area.

Basically it’s a storage spot under the screen and there you can have the knobs drilled / routed to the area for a horizontal flat surface. They make many different types of this storage but that was my other option for an oem plus install solution for the LOC and bass knob.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kwame and C-Bus Y
Here’s a couple of songs I find different in terms of bass wise that I found adjusting bass and loc is necessary. My setup I don’t touch the tesla EQ anymore.

Don’t judge bc I actually listen to all types of songs.

FYM by meek milli (rap)
Ratatata by skrillex (EDM / drum bass)
Money by Lisa (pop / hip hop)
Don’t know why by Nora jones (vocals / acoustics)

Reactions: Kwame and C-Bus Y
I know y’all don’t want to hear it but honestly running the two knobs makes a difference. I adjust mine dependent on knobs and adjust the bass on my EQ for it

The “wife mode” I can hear the enhance bass from the subs but without the volume intensity of the LOC. I would sorta explain it like “surround bass sound” while driving. You can totally set the LOC to 0 and bass knob to max and hear the difference. Only hooking up with the LOC you don’t have that option.

Just curious, but if you turn the LOC volume knob to 0 and just use the amp volume knob, OR turn the amp volume knob to 0 and just use the LOC volume knob, is there a difference? In theory, this should be doing the same thing unless your LOC is applying some sort of variable bass enhancement as the volume knob increases.

With the NVX LOC, the bass enhancement should be variable based on incoming signal, not the LOC knob volume which simply controls the output signal strength.

I also rarely adjust the Tesla EQ. Set it and forget it.

Just curious, but if you turn the LOC volume knob to 0 and just use the amp volume knob, OR turn the amp volume knob to 0 and just use the LOC volume knob, is there a difference? In theory, this should be doing the same thing unless your LOC is applying some sort of variable bass enhancement as the volume knob increases.

With the NVX LOC, the bass enhancement should be variable based on incoming signal, not the LOC knob volume which simply controls the output signal strength.

I also rarely adjust the Tesla EQ. Set it and forget it.
Yes there is believe it or not. I would consider it as like a pair of 6.5 woofers added for the first option. Yes the main tesla volume increases the signal to the LOC but that signal still goes to the NVX amp technically?

0 LOC & 10 bass = low bass output but not loud
10 LOC & 0 bass = hardly noticeable

Try it out and see if I’m dreaming 🤷‍♂️. Shouldn’t be hard to do a quick test rewiring from the LOC to the NVX amp and add the bass knob going over the rear seats to the front to verify.

Reactions: C-Bus Y and Kwame
Yes there is believe it or not. I would consider it as like a pair of 6.5 woofers added for the first option. Yes the main tesla volume increases the signal to the LOC but that signal still goes to the NVX amp technically?

Try it out and see if I’m dreaming 🤷‍♂️. Shouldn’t be hard to do a quick test rewiring from the LOC to the NVX amp and add the bass knob going over the rear seats to the front to verify.
I know you're running dual subs. Are you running a VADM1 or VAD10001 amplifier?

Edit: I also want to post this for reference for anyone else this might help in the future. The largest size wire the NVX Boost Box Terminal will accept is a 10 gauge.

Last edited:
After playing with the remote knob for the LOC I don’t really see the necessity. It’s seems to be just another “volume” control and not really changing anything musically. That’s just what I’ve seen over the last few hours. I’ll keep for now since it’s already wired up.

For sure I hear the difference of using the remote knob for the amp. I’m referring to also utilizing a remote knob for the LOC. I’m currently running both and I was just stating that the latter seems to just be redundant IMO.

I recant my earlier statement. After further tuning the LOC and the amp today I can tell a distinct difference when utilizing either bass knobs.

I’d also like to add that 1000W RMS and two of these subs is WAY TOO MUCH bass for my 40-year-old-self! Wow!

I’m still working on the mounting of the knobs and I think I’m either going to mount them pointed downward on the back of the center monitor with only the adjustment knobs visible or I’ll use the Amazon tray posted earlier. I just need an RJ11 or RJ45 (I’m not sure which one the LOC remote wire is) extension.

I mounted my toggle switch here.

IMG_3953.jpeg

I contacted NVX regarding XLCA2 never shutting off. They responded and said to use DC Offset instead of signal sensing. However, the XLCA2 doesn’t have that option. So I ordered the XLCA2X and tried DC offset, but that didn’t work . Really lame. I know I can tap into something like the driver seat but was hoping to avoid that. I’m curious how Orella is handling this with their amp on these 15v systems.

I recant my earlier statement. After further tuning the LOC and the amp today I can tell a distinct difference when utilizing either bass knobs.

I’d also like to add that 1000W RMS and two of these subs is WAY TOO MUCH bass for my 40-year-old-self! Wow!

I’m still working on the mounting of the knobs and I think I’m either going to mount them pointed downward on the back of the center monitor with only the adjustment knobs visible or I’ll use the Amazon tray posted earlier. I just need an RJ11 or RJ45 (I’m not sure which one the LOC remote wire is) extension.

View attachment 957873
Too much Bass??? 46 here, you can always have more. Still waiting for someone to try the DB speakers to see if they fit in the NVX box. I would then get two of them and increase the amp to nearly 2,000 watts 😈

I have my crossover set around 60 hz to use these to hit the deeper notes and it allows the factory sub to play the rest. Enjoy and don’t forget to turn off the toggle switch when not using.

Reactions: Kwame and St3phen
I contacted NVX regarding XLCA2 never shutting off. They responded and said to use DC Offset instead of signal sensing. However, the XLCA2 doesn’t have that option. So I ordered the XLCA2X and tried DC offset, but that didn’t work . Really lame. I know I can tap into something like the driver seat but was hoping to avoid that. I’m curious how Orella is handling this with their amp on these 15v systems.
I was wondering if the XLCA2X would solve this issue.

The LOC turns off when the vehicle goes to sleep. It also draws very little power. The problem happens when the LOC turns ‘on’ the amplifier, which does draw a decent amount of power. The toggle switch solves it, just not an elegant solution.

Reactions: St3phen

The LOC turns off when the vehicle goes to sleep. It also draws very little power. The problem happens when the LOC turns ‘on’ the amplifier, which does draw a decent amount of power. The toggle switch solves it, just not an elegant solution.
Yeah - I’m teetering between doing a toggle but be a little ratchet (which is what I normally do) or be fancy and all. If Orella has solved this, I may jump ship - if not, then it’ll have to be a toggle lol

View attachment 957873
Well I’m glad I’m not crazy hearing added bass with LOC off and Bass knob to max.

Of course I tuned the tesla EQ to both off but the added bass knob gives that extra oomph without having the back of your head being pelted by bass.

Important Update: I tested again and it using DC offset and it does work. I forgot I had to let the car sit for a few minutes when I tested last time. 🙈 I put a camera in the back and checked after 30 min. Sure enough, the power LEDs were off for the LOC and NVX amp. Also noticed the Tesla amp turned off too. Went into the Tesla app to force the car to wake up and the components turned on as expected. Will let it sit again for 30 and check but this is very promising

Reactions: TwoK4drSi and Kwame
Are you saying it turns off right away, or when the vehicle goes to sleep and turns off the factory amp?

Mine is would also turn off when going to sleep but that draw on the larger 1,000 watt amp for ~10 minutes was enough to drain the 12V battery after a few weeks.

Keep us posted, thanks!