Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NVX sub vs Orella

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey all, trying to focus a thread on a comparison between the NVX sub / amp kit vs Orella system.

I have a 21 Y looking to install myself. Never done a DIY but willling to be patient and try.

What’s better outcome soundwise?
Easier install?
Overall bang for buck?

Thx!

I like that Orella has some nice installation videos... I bought a Light Harmonic G2 "Ultimate" it back in Nov, still haven't installed it. Mainly because I've been lazy, but also because at the time I found zero instructions from Light Harmonic to install anything, lol.

(Edit: To be clear I've installed probably a couple hundred speaker systems on cars, as I use to work at a shop early in life, but I figure there would be some gotchas and like I said, I've been lazy lately...)

Last edited:
Thanks. Just trying to get a sense of what I get with Orella when adding to the Premium audio now. Will the sound improve only in the bass for ex?
I just installed the Orella sub upgrade on a Model 3 with premium audio this weekend.

The kit is comprehensive, it includes all required wiring & pigtail connectors, an upgraded 8" subwoofer which installs into the factory enclosure via adapter ring and a dedicated amplifier to drive the new sub.

Installation is straightforward, I'd call it light-medium difficulty for the average person. It's easy for anyone familiar with taking apart car interiors as this is the most significant hurdle.

Results are what you would expect re-using the factory enclosure with a better 8" speaker simply driven with more wattage (the specs of the amplifier are not provided by Orella): significantly better base performance with added punch in the low range but not anything which dramatically outperforms the rest of the factory premium audio system.

It's not cheap @ $750 but the ability to upgrade my audio system without having to splice into any wiring, lose trunk real estate or risk dealing with fault codes made it worthwhile to me. The new sub easily outperforms the factory setup without getting boomy or feeling mismatched to the rest. The system can also be uninstalled to return to factory if desired.

• Informative
Reactions: BitJam
As a former club DJ I have always liked a lot of good hard bass. That said, my Y premium sound has never disappointed me in this area. Should I spring for the Orella anyway? I currently keep my bass and sun levels around 3/4 and it feels good. Am I in need of “more”?

I just installed the Orella sub upgrade on a Model 3 with premium audio this weekend.

The kit is comprehensive, it includes all required wiring & pigtail connectors, an upgraded 8" subwoofer which installs into the factory enclosure via adapter ring and a dedicated amplifier to drive the new sub.

Installation is straightforward, I'd call it light-medium difficulty for the average person. It's easy for anyone familiar with taking apart car interiors as this is the most significant hurdle.

Results are what you would expect re-using the factory enclosure with a better 8" speaker simply driven with more wattage (the specs of the amplifier are not provided by Orella): significantly better base performance with added punch in the low range but not anything which dramatically outperforms the rest of the factory premium audio system.

It's not cheap @ $750 but the ability to upgrade my audio system without having to splice into any wiring, lose trunk real estate or risk dealing with fault codes made it worthwhile to me. The new sub easily outperforms the factory setup without getting boomy or feeling mismatched to the rest. The system can also be uninstalled to return to factory if desired.
Where did you get it for $750?

Just to reiterate some of what was said here. I just got the Orella sub kit. The longest part of the job was taking all the panels out, but their video is very clear. The wiring harness is super easy to hook up. the speaker and anp seem to be good quality. As far as sound, it is a very dramatic difference, I think the stock stereo sounds great, but it was missing 20 to 50 Hz. I only listen to classic rock and country music and such, but I am a musician and know the physics of sound. I left the EQ flat all the way across still, and all music sounds better… There is thump and lower bass guitar, which dramatically improves the overall sound quality. I highly recommend this kit.