Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NVX subwoofer box

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm getting the nvx subwoofer soon (just the box with the 10" sub preinstalled) and was wondering if I can take that 10" out and mount a 12" in its place. I have a JL 12" from my last car I want to put it and just sell the nvx sub. Does it require any mods or will it damage the box if I replaced it with a bigger sub ?

I'm getting the nvx subwoofer soon (just the box with the 10" sub preinstalled) and was wondering if I can take that 10" out and mount a 12" in its place. I have a JL 12" from my last car I want to put it and just sell the nvx sub. Does it require any mods or will it damage the box if I replaced it with a bigger sub ?
Well the cutout is... you know... 10"... so... not 12"? If my math is correct (please excuse me if it isn't) you'd have to make the hole 2" bigger...

I have the 10" its pretty damn amazing. rattles the car if set too high. I have to turn it way down. I'm a serious audiophile and trust me its a lot of bass.

bint2k, does your car have the UHFS/Premium Sound system? If so, did you just replace the factory sub enclosure? Curious, as I'm interested in upgrading my UHFS.

Thanks,
- Zishan

I have the 10" its pretty damn amazing. rattles the car if set too high. I have to turn it way down. I'm a serious audiophile and trust me its a lot of bass.

10" is fine with me, but i have a spare JL w6 12" subwoofer and i like the sound of JL. Was thinking of selling the 10" nvx subwoofer that comes with the box and replace it with my 12" JL. I'm curious if the 12" sub would fit in the nvx 10" box without sacrificing the sound quality, and is it worth it to modify the box to fit the 12", risking damaging the box permanently and such.

bint2k, does your car have the UHFS/Premium Sound system? If so, did you just replace the factory sub enclosure? Curious, as I'm interested in upgrading my UHFS.

Thanks,
- Zishan
MY car has the UHF system and I installed the NVX subwoofer. The answer to your question is no. The factory sub enclosure (which of course is greatly lacking in bass) is still there. The NVX system mounts on the driver's side in the hatchback, while the factory subwoofer mounts on the passenger side. You can remove the factory one if you like (it doesn't do much) or you can leave it as I did. The NVX can shake the whole car if you like, I don't like, so I have it turned down so that I can actually hear the bass, even at a low volume. I don't want to turn my car into a boom box with nothing but bass that you can hear coming from two blocks away like the kids that I hear driving by all the time.

MY car has the UHF system and I installed the NVX subwoofer. The answer to your question is no. The factory sub enclosure (which of course is greatly lacking in bass) is still there. The NVX system mounts on the driver's side in the hatchback, while the factory subwoofer mounts on the passenger side. You can remove the factory one if you like (it doesn't do much) or you can leave it as I did. The NVX can shake the whole car if you like, I don't like, so I have it turned down so that I can actually hear the bass, even at a low volume. I don't want to turn my car into a boom box with nothing but bass that you can hear coming from two blocks away like the kids that I hear driving by all the time.

Bill, thanks for your reply. I thought that was the case, the NVX mounts to the side, whereas the UHFS has the factory enclosure hidden. I think I'm going to start looking into the NVX.

Thanks again,

If you previously came from the performance of a JL Audio w6 12" (assuming powered at the rated max 600w), the NVX product will probably not produce as much bass. The NVX is more than enough if you want complementary bass levels for your music, and can easily overwhelm the rest of the standard system, but you won't hear it from "two blocks away." The subwoofer in the UHFS is generally sufficient for complementary purposes...possibly a bit on the mild side.

If you previously came from the performance of a JL Audio w6 12" (assuming powered at the rated max 600w), the NVX product will probably not produce as much bass. The NVX is more than enough if you want complementary bass levels for your music, and can easily overwhelm the rest of the standard system, but you won't hear it from "two blocks away." The subwoofer in the UHFS is generally sufficient for complementary purposes...possibly a bit on the mild side.

Yeah I don't like too loud either. I like JL cause it's very deep bass and not loud like Kicker subwoofers. People says this NVX Model is comparable to the JL w6 10", can anyone confirm ?

===
When you installed your NVX subwoofer and amp did you run a new wire to the amp from the factory amp for the subwoofer audio?

I have a brand new 2019 Model S (1 week old) and it has the factory sub - I’m trying to see if there’s any way to just use the factory wiring for the subwoofer signal so that all I need to do is run 12V from the battery for the amp and use wiring already in the back for the audio.

I have a custom built 12” sealed subwoofer enclosure for sale. Let me know if anyone is interested. It’s for the Model S and fits flush in the left cubby in the trunk. It’s made out of fiberglass and mdf base. The subwoofer is not included.

Attachments

• 18B17EAB-7AFE-4AD4-BF62-8ED39248A43A.jpeg
    18B17EAB-7AFE-4AD4-BF62-8ED39248A43A.jpeg
    335.1 KB · Views: 111
  • 1F823DE3-BA55-40CF-9895-C6FE52F9575B.jpeg
    1F823DE3-BA55-40CF-9895-C6FE52F9575B.jpeg
    402.6 KB · Views: 67