Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

OBD-II adapter for the Roadster?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My insurance provider uses an OBD-II dongle that isn't compatible with the Roadster's diagnostic port.

I was wondering if anybody knows where I can purchase an adapter to go from the Roadster's diagnostic port to the more standard OBD-II?

My apologies is this has already been covered. I figure it has, but haven't been able to find a thread covering the topic.

My insurance provider uses an OBD-II dongle that isn't compatible with the Roadster's diagnostic port.

I was wondering if anybody knows where I can purchase an adapter to go from the Roadster's diagnostic port to the more standard OBD-II?

My apologies is this has already been covered. I figure it has, but haven't been able to find a thread covering the topic.
Hi Matt,

See my post on the Diagnostic Port thread: Diagnostic port

In summary, technically it can be done, but I'm not sure the insurance folks would (should) go for it.

• Helpful
Reactions: matt_in_ca
I found what I'm looking for, but have only found this one, and it sold 5 years ago.

Tesla Model S and Roadster OBD2/CAN adapter cable (Pre-Sept 2015)

I'm hoping somebody knows where else I can buy one of these.
Hi Matt,

That cable only provides a means to access the CAN signals of the Diagnostic connector on an OBDII-format connector. But it's just a cable; there doesn't appear to be any translation of the messages present on the Diag connector. As an analogy, one can plug a set of 1/4" headphones through a series of adapters into your iPhone, but if the podcast playing is in Navajo, you're still not going to be able to understand what they are saying. OBDII describes both the connector and the format of the messages available thereon. You need both in order for a generic dongle to be able to work.