Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

OBD2 reader or App?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all. I’ve been watching a few YouTube videos where the presenter has used an OBD2 reader called ‘Carly’ and they’ve been able to change coded functions on the car (for example turning off the seatbelt warning light etc etc). I’ve been in touch with Carly who tell me that they only have basic OBD2 functionality for a Tesla which means that it can’t amend functionality of the car, just clear fault codes etc.

I was wondering if anyone has used another make and has been able to code in/out options? Or even is there an app which can do things like this? I know I used Teslafi for a while but I don’t recall this kind of thing within their website.

Thanks all for any advice.

Some cars have the capability to change coded settings through the OBD2 connection. I've done that in the past in VW/Audi cars with a special cable and software. You won't be able to do it that way on a Tesla as far as I know. You'll need the Tesla Toolbox software, which requires a registration/membership on the tesla service site, plus maybe a special cable. Even then, I believe there are things you might not be able to do.
Some of us do have an OBD2 port added as a piggyback on a CAN bus but we can't change coding that way. We can mostly read values (ScanMyTesla and others) or send some commands (S3XY buttons for example).

Note: there are no "fault codes" to clear as in the general OBD2 sense on a Tesla.

2024 Carly now sells OBD2 connectivity for Tesla X, I am trying to find out about any adapters that may be needed. The Carly software on you mobile tells you specifics about you batteries it's called Vampire Drain, to se what is draining you batteries when parked etc. I believe the S / X have 3 or 4 sockets to plug into behind the bottom of the PC Screen.