Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Observations from an OC->SF roadtrip (using 101 outbound and 5 inbound)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In my month-old 75D Model X, I finally took the family on a roadtrip, using many of California's superchargers in the process, playing with the current features of Autopilot and Autosteer in the process. Here is a summary of my observations:

1. Supercharger anxiety. This is different from range anxiety. I never thought I would not make it to a supercharger, but I continued to worry throughout the trip about the rate at which charging would take place. It's a lot different when the volts are 330 and the amps are 280 than if the amps start to tail off. Beyond the slowdown at 80%, I found slower charging at a couple of superchargers. In fact, I would have kept going to the next one in one case had I known that it was charging more slowly. Navigation was pointing me at Burbank for the next supercharger, so I stopped at an unscheduled one, Tejon Ranch, and then passed through LA to Santa Ana.

2. Destination charging. I stayed at a hotel with an L2 charger, but after 3 hours they wanted $5 for an estimated 13 miles of range per hour, so I unplugged before then and ended up visiting a supercharger so I wouldn't have to worry about it for the rest of the weekend.

3. TACC. This was great. It relieves the stress of driving signficantly. I would use the trick of raising and lowering the speed by 5mph with the stick rather than accelerating or touching the brakes. I had no phantom issues as have been reported, although if the road was curvy and the cameras saw a car in the next lane, it would slow down, but not like emergency braking.

4. Autosteer. It's 45mph version is better at all speeds than it was with the 35mph version. It still makes a lot more micro-corrections than I would want for a smooth driving experience. It never did anything dangerous, but I'm still pretty nervous surrendering to its judgment, so I have my hands ready to control the steering wheel at all times.

5. Navigation. When I hit 880, there was a huge backup around Hayward, so it was telling me to get off. But, just like Waze, you can get in a lot of trouble and I would have been a lot better off just staying in the left lane. We ended up with an extra hourlong delay by finally trying to get off and finding out that all routes were clogged with cars getting off 880.

Driving. I enjoyed the driving experience immensely. I've had a Mercedes before and it was beautiful to drive, but the combination of TACC, the support that the front seat provided, and the stability of the car in high winds was a great combination. I have my various complaints about delivery and service, but I don't regret getting the car, even though I wish the 100D option had been available.

I am also sensitive to going to a SuperCharger and expecting a 30 minute stop, but having to stay for 45 minutes. I know California has more charger congestion than here in Texas, and I can't help but think that Tesla should post a 'asterisk' next to problem sites, or at least indicate a 'peak time' that congestion (and reduced charging rates) can be expected.

When planning a trip, the Nav will tell me a duration it expects I will need to charge (in the largely deserted) Texas SuperChargers. Does the Nav end up giving you overly optimistic charge-and-go times on your California trip?

• Informative
Reactions: Cowby
@aesculus had a great recommendation here:
Tesla could fix this easily. They could create a feature on the car that shows your position in a supercharger queue based on Time of Arrival and GPS coordinates. If you were not planning on charging, you could opt out and release your position.

When your position came up based on a free charger, the CID could tell you what stall to go to.

As others have pointed out before, they could also prohibit charging by other cars, in order to keep queue busters from pushing in front.

They certainly have the tech. But hopefully we can all be civil and not need this form of technology to force us to behave acceptably.

Add to it that the incar trip planner could make a reservation for you based on you ETA at the SpC.

If more people write to Tesla, it will happen one day. Like in 2015, I pointed out to them that valet mode still shows last four places visited which for me were home and work and thus defeating the privacy in valet mode. In the redesigned UI they took care of that.

• Helpful
Reactions: Cowby and aesculus
Thanks for the trip report - the two issues I have is

A) getting to the SC and seeing a bunch of other cars in line or
B) getting to a charger and having a really slow charge rate so that 30 minutes stop becomes a 60+ minute stop.

Hopefully it won't be long before the NAV (or the APP) can give you a the SC status, ie: 3/8 stalls available.

A co-worker said he was driving cross country and said that the nav automatically mapped him past a SC that was out of order, so there is some feedback into the system.

I am also sensitive to going to a SuperCharger and expecting a 30 minute stop, but having to stay for 45 minutes. I know California has more charger congestion than here in Texas, and I can't help but think that Tesla should post a 'asterisk' next to problem sites, or at least indicate a 'peak time' that congestion (and reduced charging rates) can be expected.

When planning a trip, the Nav will tell me a duration it expects I will need to charge (in the largely deserted) Texas SuperChargers. Does the Nav end up giving you overly optimistic charge-and-go times on your California trip?
Yes, but half of it is because I charge for longer than they say, just in case. I'd say they were only off by about 5 minutes typically, but I had a different itinerary in mind in order to avoid Burbank, so then I had to charge up to 80-90%.

In my month-old 75D Model X, I finally took the family on a roadtrip, using many of California's superchargers in the process, playing with the current features of Autopilot and Autosteer in the process. Here is a summary of my observations:

1. Supercharger anxiety. This is different from range anxiety. I never thought I would not make it to a supercharger, but I continued to worry throughout the trip about the rate at which charging would take place. It's a lot different when the volts are 330 and the amps are 280 than if the amps start to tail off. Beyond the slowdown at 80%, I found slower charging at a couple of superchargers. In fact, I would have kept going to the next one in one case had I known that it was charging more slowly. Navigation was pointing me at Burbank for the next supercharger, so I stopped at an unscheduled one, Tejon Ranch, and then passed through LA to Santa Ana.

2. Destination charging. I stayed at a hotel with an L2 charger, but after 3 hours they wanted $5 for an estimated 13 miles of range per hour, so I unplugged before then and ended up visiting a supercharger so I wouldn't have to worry about it for the rest of the weekend.

3. TACC. This was great. It relieves the stress of driving signficantly. I would use the trick of raising and lowering the speed by 5mph with the stick rather than accelerating or touching the brakes. I had no phantom issues as have been reported, although if the road was curvy and the cameras saw a car in the next lane, it would slow down, but not like emergency braking.

4. Autosteer. It's 45mph version is better at all speeds than it was with the 35mph version. It still makes a lot more micro-corrections than I would want for a smooth driving experience. It never did anything dangerous, but I'm still pretty nervous surrendering to its judgment, so I have my hands ready to control the steering wheel at all times.

5. Navigation. When I hit 880, there was a huge backup around Hayward, so it was telling me to get off. But, just like Waze, you can get in a lot of trouble and I would have been a lot better off just staying in the left lane. We ended up with an extra hourlong delay by finally trying to get off and finding out that all routes were clogged with cars getting off 880.

Driving. I enjoyed the driving experience immensely. I've had a Mercedes before and it was beautiful to drive, but the combination of TACC, the support that the front seat provided, and the stability of the car in high winds was a great combination. I have my various complaints about delivery and service, but I don't regret getting the car, even though I wish the 100D option had been available.

Thank you for the detailed report. I, too, have a 75D, and I took delivery of my Model X at the end of December.

I decided to purchase a Tesla for the same reason of being able to take a car on road trips without having to fork out money to pay for gas. My family and I plan on taking a trip to the Bay Area possibly during spring break, so your info. is helpful.

BTW, does Auto Steer work for you in Irvine? It hasn't worked on any of the surface streets, and the only time the Auto Steer icon shows up on the dashboard is if I'm stuck in traffic on the carpool lane of the Orange Crush. Please let me know when you get a chance. Thanks.

Thank you for the detailed report. I, too, have a 75D, and I took delivery of my Model X at the end of December.

I decided to purchase a Tesla for the same reason of being able to take a car on road trips without having to fork out money to pay for gas. My family and I plan on taking a trip to the Bay Area possibly during spring break, so your info. is helpful.

BTW, does Auto Steer work for you in Irvine? It hasn't worked on any of the surface streets, and the only time the Auto Steer icon shows up on the dashboard is if I'm stuck in traffic on the carpool lane of the Orange Crush. Please let me know when you get a chance. Thanks.
No, I'm waiting for 17.5.36 to allow this, at least at 35mph. I know, really slow for Irvine's 50mph streets.