TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Obsidian Black versus Jet Black? Metallic vs. Premium?

Discussion in 'Roadster' started by Roger Brent, Nov 4, 2008.

1. Roger Brent

Roger Brent New Member

Dear Fellow forum members,

Hoping for an opinion about body color. There are two kinds of black.
    To my eye, the "Obsidian Black", which is metallic, looks better, but
    there is a "Jet Black" that is said to be "premium". Turns out that
    metallic paints require two coats, premiums, three. Question for
    forum members. Is there any disadvantage to metallic colors over
    premium colors in terms of longevity/ durability?

With thanks for any help or opinions.

2. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

Personally I think the metallic looks better too.
    In many vehicles, the metallic paints are the ones that cost more.
    Sorry, not sure about durability issues.

More coats tend to result in a glossier look. Also seams and creases have a less defined edge which makes the vehicle look more like plastic and less like metal. (Or more like candy). 3 coats isn't a huge amount. Show cars (concours, etc.) tend to have a lot more coats. Among other things it hides any little imperfections.

3. JoelG

JoelG Member

I was advised that the obsidian black car hides dirt/imperfections better than the jet black, and will therefore look better when not in a showroom. I asked a lot of people their opinions on color. Of course this is all about personal preference. Assuming I am able to soon purchase a Roadster, I am really leaning towards obsidian black with black interior. I also like the Radiant Red.... hmmmm.

4. mpt

mpt Electrics are back

I like the premium finishes the best. They give the surface a glass like feel with a lot of depth. I have the silver finish and it has a real depth to it, especially after being waxed. I don't know the engineering behind these finishes but I wonder if there is a fine metallic flake in the clear coat? It seems like there is reflectivity of light before it hits the silver metallic layer.

5. benji4

benji4 Roadster 2.5 #0476

I have an obsidian black car with black interior and black wheels, it's pretty stunning (gradually adding CF parts to it from CarbonOne to enhance it further). I thought about jet black as well, but even a display car at the showroom that was jet black showed lots of tiny scratches and looked hard to take care of. The dealer actually took it out of the showroom and put it back in storage because it was so hard to keep looking new they said. Also, despite the fact that jet black has no sparkle in it like the metallic looking obsidian black, it's a more expensive color. Not sure why that is.

6. zack

zack Member

I have a jet black Roadster and it always looks dirty and scratched. And it's only 3 weeks old!

7. erichmond

erichmond Member

I've never been fond of black cars, but when it comes to resale of sports cars "triple black" (black interior, exterior and top) is the best. Any thoughts?

8. zack

zack Member

That's what I got. Black paint and top, black wheels and interior black with grey.

9. doug

doug Administrator / Head Moderator

Knight Rider?

10. jcstp

jcstp Active Member

#10 jcstp, Mar 28, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2016
    You could carwrap it!
    Cheaper then repaint!
    You can choose any color you want, and remove it when you are tired of it, or want an other color!

11. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

Nothing is more beautiful than a clean black car.
    Nothing gets dirty faster than a clean black car.

12. mpt

mpt Electrics are back

That applies to the wheels too; I just sprung for the black sport forged alloy wheels.

100_3868.JPG 100_3856.JPG 100_3862.JPG 100_3863.JPG 100_3859.JPG

{this reply has nothing to do with me wanting to show off my new wheels}

13. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

You'd be surprised just how little a white car shows the dirt. Way better than black.

14. erichmond

erichmond Member

Wow! Pretty Amazing.

15. NEWDL

NEWDL R#350 R#1323 Sig23 8136

I have seen all of the paint colors on the cars and in person. I would suggest metallic black if you are considering black at all. The metallic will hide swirls and light scratches as they will inevitably develop.

Jet Black in a premium color because it shows everything! It is hard to make perfect and takes more time to get to showroom condition than the other colors. This means that you as an owner will be spending more time with it on a regular basis making it "perfect".

I would go with Thunder Gray or Metallic Black if you are interested in the dark colors...