Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

obstacle avoidance when EAP not enabled?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

crackers8199

May 31, 2015
SoCal
random question: is this a thing? I just had a near miss with a deer that was standing in the middle of the road but in twilight conditions I didn't see him til we were almost on top of him. I was able to successfully brake and steer the car to the shoulder, and very nearly miss hitting him (the dash cam confirmed just how near a miss it was)...but I'm wondering if the car was helping me around it.

I don't recall the collision avoidance beeping going off, but I was so concerned with missing the deer that I don't know if I just missed it...I will say that having had the same near miss experience with other cars before, I was extremely impressed with how well the car basically stuck to the ground and allowed me to steer around it but at the same time not so far that I would have ended up in a ditch.

I have had my car drive away from the center divider on Highway 17 when I was in manual control but a bit sleepy.

It will happen, but who knows what circumstances.
That’s lane keep assist
random question: is this a thing? I just had a near miss with a deer that was standing in the middle of the road but in twilight conditions I didn't see him til we were almost on top of him. I was able to successfully brake and steer the car to the shoulder, and very nearly miss hitting him (the dash cam confirmed just how near a miss it was)...but I'm wondering if the car was helping me around it.

I don't recall the collision avoidance beeping going off, but I was so concerned with missing the deer that I don't know if I just missed it...I will say that having had the same near miss experience with other cars before, I was extremely impressed with how well the car basically stuck to the ground and allowed me to steer around it but at the same time not so far that I would have ended up in a ditch.
It probably wasn’t the car steering. The car will only brake and sometimes do slight steering when on autopilot to avoid something at the edge of the lane but that’s about it. It’s a very good handling car which allowed the driver to maneuver like this and stay in control.

That’s lane keep assist

It probably wasn’t the car steering. The car will only brake and sometimes do slight steering when on autopilot to avoid something at the edge of the lane but that’s about it. It’s a very good handling car which allowed the driver to maneuver like this and stay in control.

I keep lane keep assist to warning only generally, as otherwise it freaks out and scares lane splitting motorcycles when I put a tire over the paint to give them room.

Reactions: crackers8199
Traction and stability control helped you maintain control.

Good to know, thanks for the responses.

I already had a pretty good idea, but this has definitely made a believer out of me on how safe the car really is. When I hit the brakes and swerved to miss the deer, I remember thinking to myself that I was going to end up losing control and potentially rolling over (because of how quickly and hard I had to swerve) or end up off the road and into the ditch along the side of the road (there was a pretty steep drop just a few feet off the road, only a few feet but steep enough that it probably would have rolled the car at any real speed, depending what angle I would have hit it at)...but the car literally felt like it stayed glued to the ground and never felt like it was even remotely close to leaving the road. Trying to think back and slow down time as it happened, In my mind, that split second of knowing we didn't have to fear a potential rollover probably gave me enough confidence to then correct back towards the road and keep the car on the shoulder and out of the ditch.

I hope I never have to experience that again, but I am impressed...not something you can ever practice, obviously, so I'm glad that the car is so well engineered to help me pull it off successfully and keep myself, my wife and our two dogs safe.

Also, glad the deer decided to run the other way into the woods instead of into the car after we swerved.