Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Obvious features/functions that weren't obvious to you

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The one I found out about, which was only a couple of days ago in a thread where I talked about my (now convoluted) process to stop charging at a J1772 station, is that you can simply push the latch on the charging handle for 1 or 2 seconds and everything disconnects and unlocks naturally. I used to manually stop the charging session by the ChargePoint or Tesla app.

I recently learned this from another thread and had the opportunity to try it today. It works! I just lightly pressed the latch (without disconnecting from the adapter) and in about a second, it unlocked and you can pull everything out. Up to today I kept using stop charge and then unlock from the app, was a pain in the butt - this is so much easier.

I recently learned that the back seat passenger needs to hold the latch button down to open the door. It seems to work different than front where one press/release and you can open the door. Thought there was an issue with rear latch, but Service center said that the rear door latch button needs to be pressed while opening the door. Strange that one press worked a few times on passenger side rear door, but then failed to open without continued press and push. Drivers side passenger door needs continued press and push or door won't open. The manual says just to press the button and not press while pushing door open.

My drivers rear door catch was misaligned and the only way to open was to hold the release button down. I realigned the catch and now it works with one press just like the front door. I think you may have same problem on your rear doors.

I recently learned that the back seat passenger needs to hold the latch button down to open the door. It seems to work different than front where one press/release and you can open the door. Thought there was an issue with rear latch, but Service center said that the rear door latch button needs to be pressed while opening the door. Strange that one press worked a few times on passenger side rear door, but then failed to open without continued press and push. Drivers side passenger door needs continued press and push or door won't open. The manual says just to press the button and not press while pushing door open.

• Helpful
Reactions: is2scooby
My drivers rear door catch was misaligned and the only way to open was to hold the release button down. I realigned the catch and now it works with one press just like the front door. I think you may have same problem on your rear doors.

The Service Center realigned the door and said allot of model 3 had misaligned door. I am not sure if they realigned the catch when I brought it in. They said I had to hold the button. How do you realign the catch?

You can also use this to overtake vehicles. However note that if you accidentally accelerate past 90mph while on autorsteer then you are punished and cannot use auto steer for the remainder of your drive.

Not sure if this one’s been posted. When in Autosteer if it’s not going fast enough because of a map speed limit error, you can step on the excelerator to help it along. You will need to keep your foot on it to maintain your desired speed.

• Informative
Reactions: halfricanguy
Finally figured out how to see the battery remaining after a round trip. I will sometimes see it when I put in a destination into the map, but when I go later to check it again I cannot find it.

1) Show the entire trip if it's not already up by clicking on the first direction.
2) Scroll to the bottom of the list of directions to reveal the battery remaining after traveling A to B
3) Scroll that battery remaining up to reveal the round trip figure after traveling A to B and back to A

That was not obvious in any way, it doesn't show part of the further information or a scroll indication at all.

-Randy

Not true, you can just hold down the turn signal in the half way position and it will auto lane change too. Just don't let go too soon or it will move back into the original lane.
That happened to me first time I used AP to change lanes.
It was on I-40 in Oklahoma in July 2016.
Car came back into right lane as we passed the trooper.
He pulled us over miles later and gave us a $240 ticket.
That was after he had us wait 30 minutes in the car, he in his car, probably trying to figure out what our car was. Expensive car, California plates, Oklahoma Highway Patrol f*** over your visitors.
I will never drive in Oklahoma again.

I was very upset when I got that ticket. I have been driving for 40 years, what makes him think I don't know what I'm doing. He claimed that the law to move over to give room to cops and accidents was even a law in California for more than a decade. How have I never seen ANYONE do this? So the entire trip back from (Wyoming in my case) I watched for people getting over, and sure enough, everyone does. Once I was back in CA I realized there isn't the possibility to get over if you are driving a Semi in CA, freeways are too crowded. So I just paid it. Those people with their crazy empty highways, I actually feel sorry for them.

-Randy

I recently learned this from another thread and had the opportunity to try it today. It works! I just lightly pressed the latch (without disconnecting from the adapter) and in about a second, it unlocked and you can pull everything out. Up to today I kept using stop charge and then unlock from the app, was a pain in the butt - this is so much easier.

@RayK or @TT97 can you clarify what you mean by "the latch"? Thank you!

I was very upset when I got that ticket. I have been driving for 40 years, what makes him think I don't know what I'm doing. He claimed that the law to move over to give room to cops and accidents was even a law in California for more than a decade. How have I never seen ANYONE do this? So the entire trip back from (Wyoming in my case) I watched for people getting over, and sure enough, everyone does. Once I was back in CA I realized there isn't the possibility to get over if you are driving a Semi in CA, freeways are too crowded. So I just paid it. Those people with their crazy empty highways, I actually feel sorry for them.

-Randy
Randy you are completely right!
While we were sitting 30 minute waiting for the Oklahoma Trooper to get out of his car, I watched the cars go by, expecting to see them in the right lane.
NO! -- Not even one. They all moved over. Never possible here in California.

Last edited:
He claimed that the law to move over to give room to cops and accidents was even a law in California for more than a decade. How have I never seen ANYONE do this? So the entire trip back from (Wyoming in my case) I watched for people getting over, and sure enough, everyone does. Once I was back in CA I realized there isn't the possibility to get over if you are driving a Semi in CA, freeways are too crowded.
-Randy
My wife was dumbfounded by the whole episode.
I knew I had broken the law, but she did not.
She had never heard of that law!
She is a California girl completely.