Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Obvious features/functions that weren't obvious to you

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For the first month, I thought the car was really hard to get in and out of. Then I figured out how to set up an Easy Entry profile.
My car is not easy to get into, and sometimes when I am in, it won't work until I unpack my backpack, find my wallet, take out the black card, and hold it over the center console. Our Model S is much easier to enter. Do you have a fix to make the 3 as easy as the S?
Thanks -- Vern

I just learned how to turn on the wiper manually by pressing the button on the end of the turn signal. And if you press it all the way in it sprays fluid. ...I didn't even realize that button was there until I started playing around with the sticks to see what they did.
Thanks-- Do you know how to turn the wipers OFF? Yesterday I sat with the sun in my eyes and the wipers going crazy swiping dirt back and forth for several minutes on a dry windshield, while I brought up the owner's manual and found the section on Wipers. Is there an OFF setting, or just Auto to make them stop?

My car is not easy to get into, and sometimes when I am in, it won't work until I unpack my backpack, find my wallet, take out the black card, and hold it over the center console. Our Model S is much easier to enter. Do you have a fix to make the 3 as easy as the S?
Thanks -- Vern
Do you have your phone set up as a key? I've never used the key card since I first got my Model 3 over a year ago. If you're having problems with the phone key you might want to look into the new key fob, which has passive entry just like the S.

Thanks-- Do you know how to turn the wipers OFF? Yesterday I sat with the sun in my eyes and the wipers going crazy swiping dirt back and forth for several minutes on a dry windshield, while I brought up the owner's manual and found the section on Wipers. Is there an OFF setting, or just Auto to make them stop?
The big button above the speed slider (outlined in blue) will toggle between on and off.

• Informative
Reactions: Vern Padgett
Do you have your phone set up as a key? I've never used the key card since I first got my Model 3 over a year ago. If you're having problems with the phone key you might want to look into the new key fob, which has passive entry just like the S.

The big button above the speed slider (outlined in blue) will toggle between on and off.
Every now and then it will request key card to open, even with your phone in your hand, of course I think you can open using the Tesla app

For the first month, I thought the car was really hard to get in and out of. Then I figured out how to set up an Easy Entry profile.
Thanks -- Vern
Have you set up easy entry based on the manual?
NsoWmRC.jpg

Last edited:
Your comment is confusing because you indicated you looked at the manual and when I just looked the 1st entry indicates how to turn it ON or OFF? Blue highlighting generally means ON and grey means off for many controls in Teslas.
u4iBEgm.jpg

• Helpful
Reactions: jkirkwood001
Every now and then it will request key card to open, even with your phone in your hand, of course I think you can open using the Tesla app
I've never seen this (2018 P3D-). What I have seen is the phone put the app to sleep (essentially) and the car won't recognize me until I tap the app notification (or open the app completely). That wakes it up and then the car lets me in.

I finally found out that the Set Speed DOES NOT respond to speed limit changes. I REALLY thought it did for the longest time.

Turns out that the confusion comes from the difference between freeways and restricted highways (ones that go thru towns). If I set my speed for a restricted highway and enter a town, I would initially see that the Set Speed would be only 5 MPH over the limit instead of my preference setting of 8 MPH. As I entered a town the SS would drop as the speed limit dropped for that town to 5 MPH over the new limits. As I left the town and the limits went back up so would the SS.

So I assumed that when ANY speed limit changed it would cause my Tesla to track it. This came to a head with the new Speed Limit Sign recognition. Now I saw the speed limit in the car change in relation to the environment on freeways and open highways and the SS stayed the same (as posted in the named thread). This is when it was pointed out to me that the car doesn't track this and I am responsible to update the speed when the limit changes.

This seems like lots of work to me, including all those times that I miss signs the car sees.

Perhaps once they fix the SL sign recognition so it doesn't also respond to Truck and Trailer and School limits they'll allow the car to change the SS to match the SL, they'll have to do that for FSD, so why not get that easy one to us now?

Reactions: Falkirk