Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Octopus (regional price differences)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am on Flexible Octopus November 2022 v1 and from 1st October my electricity will cost me – 60.177p (Standing Daily Charge) and 628.259p (per Kwh)
My son who lives in Oxfordshire is also on Flexible Octopus November 2022 v1 and from 1st October his electricity will cost him – 47.954p (Standing Daily Charge) and 27.511p (per Kwh).
Why am I paying more than he is paying?
(I have emailed Octopus asking this question and am waiting a reply)

I am on Flexible Octopus November 2022 v1 and from 1st October my electricity will cost me – 60.177p (Standing Daily Charge) and 628.259p (per Kwh)
My son who lives in Oxfordshire is also on Flexible Octopus November 2022 v1 and from 1st October his electricity will cost him – 47.954p (Standing Daily Charge) and 27.511p (per Kwh).
Why am I paying more than he is paying?
(I have emailed Octopus asking this question and am waiting a reply)
If you are paying £6.28 per kWh I would change supplier immediately!

Regional variations have always existed due to regional infrastructure costs.

I'm guessing over £6 per kWh was a typo.

There have always been regional differences which from what I remember was due to sourcing of power from different providers in different parts of country (I could be wrong though).

Also curious I am guessing your an EV owner and I'm surprised your not on one of the smart tariffs.

Apologies for the dumb question if you fall into the 'can't get a smart meter' and/or 'can't charge at home' camps

Reactions: UkNorthampton
628.259p (per Kwh) seems extremely high? are you sure?!

It is difference in standing charge and electricity price because (at least in the past) of TNUOS. based on where you are grid access fees for generators are different. TLDR; - more to the north, more expensive it becomes to get on grid. London on the other hand have it almost 0 and a lot is charged back via on-demand side response activities.

All the flexible regional rates from 1st Oct are quoted here.

Direct debit rates from that link;

Looks like you @Forty_Two are on the N Wales and Mersey rate, so the kWh rate is 28.26p

Screenshot_2023-09-18_at_17.13.45.width-800.png

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: thax1
I'd definitely look at a different tariff at those prices. Currently paying 15.81p on (forget the tariff name, one of their variable ones). Octopus have a lot of tariffs and as an EV owner you likely want to be paying a little as possible... luckily octopus let you switch between them with no penalty.