Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

UK Home Charging - Best Tariff's

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
me? Yes. Nearly 8kW solar, 24 panels!!! 11.6kWh storage Alpha ESS 3kw with 3x 2.9kWh module upgrades).
nice.. my roof is east/west facing, not ideal I suppose. but at the good angles.

I was quotes

20xJA Solar panels (Black) - 365 w (7.3 kw)
solax boost inverter
full fitting and supply
system generation over 12 months 4986 kwh
total £ 9,195 inc VAT
+
Solax 5.8KW battery with battery management system and charge controller - £4,995

but this was almost half a year ago.. and wonder if this is OK-ish or meh.

nice.. my roof is east/west facing, not ideal I suppose. but at the good angles.

I was quotes

20xJA Solar panels (Black) - 365 w (7.3 kw)
solax boost inverter
full fitting and supply
system generation over 12 months 4986 kwh
total £ 9,195 inc VAT
+
Solax 5.8KW battery with battery management system and charge controller - £4,995

but this was almost half a year ago.. and wonder if this is OK-ish or meh.
Does that have individual panel monitoring? Micro-inverters? If it's not stated it's probably not included. So yours might just be a "dumb" system with only the inverter to tell you how much you're generating - often an app too. But not individual panel data.
The individual panel monitoring will cost about £1000 more and individual panel inverters another £2000 about on that many panels.
It's a good load of panels that's for sure!
Not sure where your are in the country. I used Going Green Renewables. But he's based around Sandhurst, Berks. His is the best price i've ever seen. £3500 for a 4kw install. About £150 per extra panel.
I would have thought your install would be about £7-8000 for the solar - but demand is ridiculously high.
My installer was getting panels at about £97 (385w JA solar) last year - but now says the equivalent are about £110 each and he can't get hold of JA solar.
I've got a Alpha ESS battery, Give Energy do a good system too.

Does that have individual panel monitoring? Micro-inverters? If it's not stated it's probably not included. So yours might just be a "dumb" system with only the inverter to tell you how much you're generating - often an app too. But not individual panel data.
The individual panel monitoring will cost about £1000 more and individual panel inverters another £2000 about on that many panels.
It's a good load of panels that's for sure!
Not sure where your are in the country. I used Going Green Renewables. But he's based around Sandhurst, Berks. His is the best price i've ever seen. £3500 for a 4kw install. About £150 per extra panel.
I would have thought your install would be about £7-8000 for the solar - but demand is ridiculously high.
My installer was getting panels at about £97 (385w JA solar) last year - but now says the equivalent are about £110 each and he can't get hold of JA solar.
I've got a Alpha ESS battery, Give Energy do a good system too.
I am in Midlands, NW Leics.

well, that inverter is "with cloud monitoring" which is probably not what are you talking about, so I would need more or less more...

and then I start to do the maths, as this is quite a serious investment - all in all we talk 15k here with the battery. which looks like to have at least 10 years pay off. and I know this is probably wrong thing to look this way, but I start to think if it's really going to make sense.

my roof is east/west facing, not ideal I suppose

I think that's "more ideal" :)

If you have North / South roof you won't be putting anything on the North side. Half the roof is unusable

If you have East / West you can put PV on both sides ... 2x the area PV generation (and somewhat less than 2x the cost)

South gives you one generation peak (mid day Natch!) ... although a bit more output than 50% of the twice-the-area East/West array.

... East start generating earlier - so more likely to have some useable PV when you are getting ready for work etc.
... West generates later, and peaks later, so fits in better with when you get back from work

The two peaks evens things out a bit ... as the East goes-off the West comes-on

all in all we talk 15k here with the battery. which looks like to have at least 10 years pay off

Assuming 20 year life then 10 year payoff sounds fine to me ...

You are also locking-in inflation-linked electricity cost. You are going to generate X% of your electricity, each year, regardless of what the price-per-unit is / becomes.

Reactions: yessuz and PITA
I think that's "more ideal" :)

If you have North / South roof you won't be putting anything on the North side. Half the roof is unusable

If you have East / West you can put PV on both sides ... 2x the area PV generation (and somewhat less than 2x the cost)

South gives you one generation peak (mid day Natch!) ... although a bit more output than 50% of the twice-the-area East/West array.

... East start generating earlier - so more likely to have some useable PV when you are getting ready for work etc.
... West generates later, and peaks later, so fits in better with when you get back from work

The two peaks evens things out a bit ... as the East goes-off the West comes-on

Assuming 20 year life then 10 year payoff sounds fine to me ...

You are also locking-in inflation-linked electricity cost. You are going to generate X% of your electricity, each year, regardless of what the price-per-unit is / becomes.

I agree with this.

Our array is East / West and although we don't get the high peak production a South facing roof gets... we also don't export massive chunks of unused power back to the Grid.

We get a more useable spread of power throughout the day. Which is fine by us, as we're at home all day.

The other benefit is sometimes grabbing early dawn Sunshine before the clouds come over for the day. Get an early (or late) boost.

Last edited: