Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Odometer accuracy issue

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone. I have my M3LR since June 2023 and my odometer just hit 7000 km. To me this seems a little high and I started to pay more attention to it. So yesterday, i started at 6620 km and drove for 197 km
according to google maps. Now the odometer shows 6924 km. So Tesla says i made 304 km and google maps plan says in made 197.
Anyone had similar experiences?

I’ve had a similar issue and I’m concerned that I have no idea how long it’s been inaccurate.

To define terms, I think of two types of miles - range miles and odometer miles. We all know that range miles vary according to temperature, speed, number of features turned on, age of battery, etc. None of us expect range miles to be accurate. BUT odometer miles should be literal. Actual. Trusted.

I’ve done a few tests. It’s definitely NOT a tire size issue, nor km/mi issue. It’s simple - it’s wrong. I drove 30 miles and it said I drove 70. My range miles and odometer miles were eerily similar.

This is unacceptable.

Upvote 0
I’ve had a similar issue and I’m concerned that I have no idea how long it’s been inaccurate.

To define terms, I think of two types of miles - range miles and odometer miles. We all know that range miles vary according to temperature, speed, number of features turned on, age of battery, etc. None of us expect range miles to be accurate. BUT odometer miles should be literal. Actual. Trusted.

I’ve done a few tests. It’s definitely NOT a tire size issue, nor km/mi issue. It’s simple - it’s wrong. I drove 30 miles and it said I drove 70. My range miles and odometer miles were eerily similar.

This is unacceptable.
I'd say notify Tesla in the app.

It doesn't necessarily mean the internal odometer is wrong. It could be a weird display issue. They've had double conversion problems before.

But also, I just want to double-check that distances you mentioned are measured using the travel distance, and not a quick Google Maps because Google Maps show distances as the crow flies until you actually calculate the travel. I'm not saying that's the reason you're seeing a difference just that the numbers might not be 30 v 70, instead being closer to some power of the 1.609 kilometer v miles conversion.

You could also have a bad odometer, of course.

Last edited:
Upvote 0