Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Odometer historical kwh total not inclusive of vampire load?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Trip meter kWh total not inclusive of vampire load

(Apologies if this has been already mentioned, but I did quickly scanning through posts in this folder but didn't see anything pointing this out. Mods, feel free to move this to the lifetime kwh topic but I think that thread's just keeping track of people's totals so I didn't want to clutter it.)

I believe this impacts folks calculating their lifetime kwh usage based on the trip B total they're avoiding resetting.

I just confirmed my theory today when charging at a chargepoint station today. My trip A which has kwh since last charge said something in the 7kWh range. Chargepoint however indicated I pulled 11kWh and some change. It's been about a day since I last plugged in. So maybe we should factor in a 4kWh * # days since delivery to the overall kWh totals when calculating lifetime electrical consumption.

Last edited:
(Apologies if this has been already mentioned, but I did quickly scanning through posts in this folder but didn't see anything pointing this out. Mods, feel free to move this to the lifetime kwh topic but I think that thread's just keeping track of people's totals so I didn't want to clutter it.)

I believe this impacts folks calculating their lifetime kwh usage based on the trip B total they're avoiding resetting.

I just confirmed my theory today when charging at a chargepoint station today. My trip A which has kwh since last charge said something in the 7kWh range. Chargepoint however indicated I pulled 11kWh and some change. It's been about a day since I last plugged in. So maybe we should factor in a 4kWh * # days since delivery to the overall kWh totals when calculating lifetime electrical consumption.

it's not a 1:1 ratio. charging isn't 100% efficient, so you're not going to get 11kwh of charge from 11kwh of energy pulled from the socket.

it's not a 1:1 ratio. charging isn't 100% efficient, so you're not going to get 11kwh of charge from 11kwh of energy pulled from the socket.

This is true, but it also does not include vampire load. If you look at any of the trips and then leave the car unplugged for 1 or 2 days, the range will go down, but the kwh used will not go up. It is truly kwh USED, not lost.

Terminology Patrol:
"Odometer historical kwh"

The title of the thread suggests that "Odometer" and "kWh" are related. They are not. The author means "Trip Meters".

Odometer refers to mileage on the vehicle. It gets fuzzier when you do things like replace the motor, but not fuzzy regarding "miles" vs. "kWh".

Why it matters: "Tesla Model S has faulty or misleading odometer! Film at 11."

Terminology Patrol:

The title of the thread suggests that "Odometer" and "kWh" are related. They are not. The author means "Trip Meters".

Odometer refers to mileage on the vehicle. It gets fuzzier when you do things like replace the motor, but not fuzzy regarding "miles" vs. "kWh".

Sorry! Can the mods update the threat title to say "Trip meter kWh total not inclusive of vampire load"? I don't think I can edit it myself...

Terminology Patrol:

Not sure why you think the odometer is misleading. It accurately reflects kWh used on the trip meters and miles driven. Both working when the car is on. If you run the air or heat with the car off, the kWh will not change.

If you tow any modern car, the odometer does not change. You could put wear and tear on the suspension and use up the tires, but the odometer will not reflect this. Is this misleading? People tow cars behind motorhomes all the time and see this.

Yeah, but this is pretty bad either way. out of 7kWh I pulled an extra 4kWh! So some of that 4kWh was vampire and some of that was overhead of charging. I've gone through about 2MWh so far on my car and have had it for over 6 months. Assuming 3kWh (hypothetical, subtracting 1kWh from overhead that might have been from charging) vampire drain per day, that comes out to 540kWh (180 days) of vampire drain so far. Over a 25% increase if I just looked at my Trip B (lifetime) reading.

Not sure why you think the odometer is misleading. It accurately reflects kWh used on the trip meters and miles driven. Both working when the car is on. If you run the air or heat with the car off, the kWh will not change.

If you tow any modern car, the odometer does not change. You could put wear and tear on the suspension and use up the tires, but the odometer will not reflect this. Is this misleading? People tow cars behind motorhomes all the time and see this.
I think you're misunderstanding my post. My point was/is that terminology matters and "Odometer" and "kWh" are not connected. We have historical evidence that "people with publishing power" are generally stupid enough or misguided enough to publish anything to get headlines about Tesla vehicles - pro or con. So "we must be cautious" about our terminology and phrasing.

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry! Can the mods update the threat title to say "Trip meter kWh total not inclusive of vampire load"? I don't think I can edit it myself...
No worries, mrbry.

Best option is to update the title that shows in the first post and hope that the mods see your request and update the thread title to match.