Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

OEM Model S center console insert, Gen 1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

St Charles

Tesla, not TSLA!
Jun 21, 2016
Virginia
I recently ran across a brand new Gen 1 OEM center console insert in Piano black. Seller wants $700 which I believe is the original price. Given that the Gen 2 is out of stock, costs more, and doesn't look to have the same leather trim around the edges, is this a reasonable option? Or is it worth the extra $$ for the Gen 2?

To be clear, I'm interested in knowing if the build quality and design are worth the extra cost for the Gen 2. For those who have the gen 1, how has it held up? Did it live up to your expectations? Would you do it again?

I have that gen 1 console in piano black in my 85D. It looks perfectly OEM as if it came with the car, the cupholders in the front are adjustable, and it has the iPhone or micro USB dock (I don't use it because the case on my phone is too big). The only complaint I have with it is that the sliding cover over the cupholders takes a lot of force to open once you've shut it all the way, but other than that, no complaints.

Yes, I absolutely would put it in again, I definitely need a place for a drink that's not in the way of my elbow.

I have that gen 1 console in piano black in my 85D. It looks perfectly OEM as if it came with the car, the cupholders in the front are adjustable, and it has the iPhone or micro USB dock (I don't use it because the case on my phone is too big). The only complaint I have with it is that the sliding cover over the cupholders takes a lot of force to open once you've shut it all the way, but other than that, no complaints.

Yes, I absolutely would put it in again, I definitely need a place for a drink that's not in the way of my elbow.
Push down on the sliding cover as you slide it. It will unlatch as you push down.

My Gen 1 has a carbon fiber panel, and it has been totally trouble free. I had one of the very first consoles. There was a recall and mine was replaced. The original that was replaced was perfectly fine. I am not sure why there was a recall.