TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

OEM Model S center console insert, Gen 1

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by St Charles, Nov 4, 2016.

1. St Charles

St Charles Member

I recently ran across a brand new Gen 1 OEM center console insert in Piano black. Seller wants $700 which I believe is the original price. Given that the Gen 2 is out of stock, costs more, and doesn't look to have the same leather trim around the edges, is this a reasonable option? Or is it worth the extra $$ for the Gen 2?

To be clear, I'm interested in knowing if the build quality and design are worth the extra cost for the Gen 2. For those who have the gen 1, how has it held up? Did it live up to your expectations? Would you do it again?

2. SomeJoe7777

SomeJoe7777 Marginally-Known Member

I have that gen 1 console in piano black in my 85D. It looks perfectly OEM as if it came with the car, the cupholders in the front are adjustable, and it has the iPhone or micro USB dock (I don't use it because the case on my phone is too big). The only complaint I have with it is that the sliding cover over the cupholders takes a lot of force to open once you've shut it all the way, but other than that, no complaints.

Yes, I absolutely would put it in again, I definitely need a place for a drink that's not in the way of my elbow.

3. gnelson

gnelson Member

Push down on the sliding cover as you slide it. It will unlatch as you push down.

My Gen 1 has a carbon fiber panel, and it has been totally trouble free. I had one of the very first consoles. There was a recall and mine was replaced. The original that was replaced was perfectly fine. I am not sure why there was a recall.

4. SomeJoe7777

SomeJoe7777 Marginally-Known Member

I've tried that, and it lessens the force somewhat, but it still takes some umph to unlatch it.