Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Off the Beaten Path

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

SageBrush

REJECT Fascism
May 7, 2015
New Mexico
My wife says that the only reason I agree to take long(ish) car drives is the perverse joy i take in staring at maps for hours and then building my own personalized custom route planner to make final choices. I vehemently reject that characterization, although I will admit that without Superchargers everywhere, a trip has choices to make, and trade-offs to accept.

Longer charging stops at more desirable places ?
More car miles to enjoy faster charging ?
Does the charging stop play nice with hunger ?

Our upcoming trip is Albuquerque, NM to Center, CO and then back -- all in a day.
I have narrowed down my choices to either focusing my charging in Taos at 10 kW or investing in fast charging in Trinidad.

One thing I will say: these trips *do* require planning to some degree, and all those gazillions of car owners who are hesitant to drop their ICE addiction for fear of having to look at a map or taking a more laid back approach to getting somewhere at some specific time are not wrong.

More to follow, and if you see a golden route I have missed, please chime in.

P.s., Dear Tesla: Alamosa

You seem to be an "optimizer" like me... why reject your very nature? :D
You are correct, there are plenty of areas that are not (yet) well served by superchargers. I think the other DCFC infrastructure isn't that much better but I digress. It is why around here, many people in local Tesla groups state that the CHAdeMO adapter is mandatory. It's clearly not mandatory for many people, me included, but it's certainly a good tool to have in certain situations. It might make your planning easier, or offer you more interesting options.

• Funny
Reactions: SageBrush