Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Off topic: Carwash strategy

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The curse begins. I now have a car that I care about for the first time in 10 years. And with that comes carwashes. I have two issues that I'm wondering if anyone has some tips for.

1. Wheels. Automatic carwashes never get the rims clean of the brake dust. The best way I've found is to wash the rims by hand at a spray wash station and then go through the auto Carwash. Is there a better way?

2. I'd really like to avoid the auto Carwash altogether. They recycle the water and it's not ideal for paint and metal. On the other hand, I don't have the time to hand wash my car once a week. What are you guys doing out there? Is there a wax I can spray on after the auto Carwash that will help protect the paint? I've seen the no rinse car wash solution. I'll probably try this spring but that won't help me over the winter.

I feel like this is just the nature of the beast but I figured I'd put it out there and see if there are any good options I'm missing.

The curse begins. I now have a car that I care about for the first time in 10 years. And with that comes carwashes. I have two issues that I'm wondering if anyone has some tips for.

1. Wheels. Automatic carwashes never get the rims clean of the brake dust. The best way I've found is to wash the rims by hand at a spray wash station and then go through the auto Carwash. Is there a better way?

2. I'd really like to avoid the auto Carwash altogether. They recycle the water and it's not ideal for paint and metal. On the other hand, I don't have the time to hand wash my car once a week. What are you guys doing out there? Is there a wax I can spray on after the auto Carwash that will help protect the paint? I've seen the no rinse car wash solution. I'll probably try this spring but that won't help me over the winter.

I feel like this is just the nature of the beast but I figured I'd put it out there and see if there are any good options I'm missing.

You're asking for a bible debate here, since everyone has their own opinions on this... but here I go:

I use automatic car washes. I have a membership to one and hit it twice per week. I have mine hand-waxed usually quarterly with Collinite 845, which is popular in the aircraft and marine industries. It looks brand new after that. Some people are big on touchless washes, but I'm not. Especially here in Chicago, they will not get the car clean. They're probably good in Florida or California, but the grime from our roads here is much worse than a touchless can clean.

Why I don't like waterless/no rinse solutions: They require wiping down the car with a rag. Just like a cheaper touch auto wash, pollutants can be on the surface of the rag (or microfiber), and when you spray the car and rub, it will scratch the paint. Most (high end) auto touch washes use a special type of material that will not allow pollutants or dirt to stick to them, and they also spin periodically to flick it off.

With you being in Chicago, I recommend Fuller's. I use their auto washes for regular cleanings, and use their "fast wax" with my Collinite wax that I bring in to them, and my car looks great after 2 years and 50k miles. I am also pretty sure they do not recycle the water, and if they do, it is heavily filtered.

• Helpful
Reactions: Dre78
....... On the other hand, I don't have the time to hand wash my car once a week....

Yes you do. You just choose the spend the half an hour doing something else. It's all about priorities. I just finished washing my car in the garage using Optimum No Rinse with 2 buckets and 4 microfibre towels, as it is -4 celsius outside this morning. Some other TMC members convinced me to get the stuff and give it a go; and it works awesome!

You are just in the habit of not doing it; you are now a Tesla owner; change the routine. Love your car and it will love you back.

No rinse wash versus hose and bucket

Reactions: shellderp
@ahkahn was very correct - this is as controversial a question as you could ask!

I’m that guy who washes often & just hates to see a car dirty when it could look so nice. That said, I live in the CA desert and it’s usually just a coat of dust or sand that needs to be dealt with. It’s rarely truly “dirty”. I can do a two bucket method, do wheels, tires, & everything in about an hour - and I’m pretty meticulous.

You’d never catch me at a car wash..... at least not in my car.

If I lived in a place where the car actually got dirty (like snow in the winter with road salt) I’d probably get a paint protective film - for the simple reason that it would be much much easier to wash clean. You still need to do the wash routine, but for sure it would be easier.

If you feel any specific questions, please feel free to ask me. Welcome to the club!

Never ever go to anything but a touch free automatic that does not recycle their water.

Carwashes are only as good as their managers.

Our small town has four, only one I can always count on to have all fluids available. The rest are pathetic affairs, one particularly has wheel brushes that position wrongly over doors and took the clearcoat of a friends door. The others are just not manned enough so on weekends they develop faults or run out of fluids, once I had to finish the job by hand with foam on car.

My driveway routine every six months (step 2 monthly):
1. Rinse (whole house salt/resin water softener purifier).
2. Dual pail bucket with coconut oil based shampoo, always start from top of car, always rinse the wash mitts in the water before immersing in shampoo again and proceeding to next surface. Wheels are last. California water blade then Turkish cotton towels.
3. Claybar, followed by swirl/scratch finder flashlight inspection and repair.
4. Synthetic wax.
5. Carnauba wax.
6. Obligatory sitdown and mutual admiration session, while it lasts, as I know the derrière is a dirt magnet by design.

Reactions: NoirMS
You're asking for a bible debate here, since everyone has their own opinions on this... but here I go:

I use automatic car washes. I have a membership to one and hit it twice per week. I have mine hand-waxed usually quarterly with Collinite 845, which is popular in the aircraft and marine industries. It looks brand new after that. Some people are big on touchless washes, but I'm not. Especially here in Chicago, they will not get the car clean. They're probably good in Florida or California, but the grime from our roads here is much worse than a touchless can clean.

Why I don't like waterless/no rinse solutions: They require wiping down the car with a rag. Just like a cheaper touch auto wash, pollutants can be on the surface of the rag (or microfiber), and when you spray the car and rub, it will scratch the paint. Most (high end) auto touch washes use a special type of material that will not allow pollutants or dirt to stick to them, and they also spin periodically to flick it off.

With you being in Chicago, I recommend Fuller's. I use their auto washes for regular cleanings, and use their "fast wax" with my Collinite wax that I bring in to them, and my car looks great after 2 years and 50k miles. I am also pretty sure they do not recycle the water, and if they do, it is heavily filtered.

I totally agree on Chicago road grime and touchless washes.

Unfortunately they all recycle water and they don't filter. We're basically spraying salt water on our cars in the winter.

Yes you do. You just choose the spend the half an hour doing something else. It's all about priorities. I just finished washing my car in the garage using Optimum No Rinse with 2 buckets and 4 microfibre towels, as it is -4 celsius outside this morning. Some other TMC members convinced me to get the stuff and give it a go; and it works awesome!

You are just in the habit of not doing it; you are now a Tesla owner; change the routine. Love your car and it will love you back.

No rinse wash versus hose and bucket

No chance man. I have 2 little kids and soon a third. I'll never get the time.

Check out Ammo Frothe. The guy is a genius and his products are top notch. I use the Frothe (no water needed) once a week for my wife’s Escalade and my Model S. Both cars are black (I’m an idiot I know) but washing with Frothe and putting a little protection spray (I forget the name) has the cars always looking great.
I have a 4 year old and 9 month old so I do everything in the garage when the family goes to sleep. Throw on some tunes, wash the cars, vacuum, wipe down interiors...pretty therapeutic to be honest.

Reactions: dark cloud
Check out Ammo Frothe. The guy is a genius and his products are top notch. I use the Frothe (no water needed) once a week for my wife’s Escalade and my Model S. Both cars are black (I’m an idiot I know) but washing with Frothe and putting a little protection spray (I forget the name) has the cars always looking great.
I have a 4 year old and 9 month old so I do everything in the garage when the family goes to sleep. Throw on some tunes, wash the cars, vacuum, wipe down interiors...pretty therapeutic to be honest.

I am getting used to living with a black Tesla here in the PNW. Today I took it to a self service car wash (touchless) and when it dried, there was still so much dust on it I couldn't believe it. I probably need to improve my car washing skills, I feel terrible.

What is this ammo frothe thing?

twice a month, in my garage...
4 gal of water, 2 buckets...
my only weapons are...
Screenshot_20190310-075008_Amazon Shopping.jpg
Screenshot_20190310-075031_Amazon Shopping.jpg

I don't trust any of the automatic car wash companies in my area, a Boston suburb. Hand washing from top to bottom, one section at a time with wheels last is my method. A brush and brake dust remover spray does a great job on the wheels. I like shiny black tires so use Tire Shine or a similar product to enhance the wheels. To eliminate water spots, you must dry the vehicle with a microfiber, chamois, or the Absorber towel. Glass cleaner and a few paper towels are needed for the windows. It takes 60-90 minutes to do a good job.
Fortunately, my MS rarely sees winter salt on the roads, but when it does, I visit an automatic car wash feeling the salt is a greater evil than the auto-wash. I opt for an under carriage wash to clean the battery case area and wheel wells. Some may feel this is a waste, but for $2 more it gives me peace of mind.

Reactions: demotrek
FYI guys, hand washing in Chicago during the winter is virtually impossible. If I lived in SoCal or in the desert, it would definitely be a touchless and/or hand wash...

No. I used to think that also and did touchless once. It's a matter of how much you want to do. You are fooling yourself if you think Fuller's isn't scratching your car as much as a thoughtful hand wash. Do you have a garage at your residence? Attached garage rarely sustained under 32F, but always thoroughly dry the car in winter. Takes less than 25 minutes, including drying. Leaf blower helps get the rear. Otherwise letting it sit salty dirty for a week not a big deal.

I am getting used to living with a black Tesla here in the PNW. Today I took it to a self service car wash (touchless) and when it dried, there was still so much dust on it I couldn't believe it. I probably need to improve my car washing skills, I feel terrible.

What is this ammo frothe thing?

I think touchless washes are garbage. They typically use recycled water and they don’t clean the car very well.
Here’s the link to Ammo Frothe: HOSELESS LIFT KIT $125 | AMMO AUTO CARE INC.
(Watch the video to see how it works)
I also bought the Ammo Hydrate and put that on incase there are any streaks (plus it helps protect then paint). You could probably just buy the sprayer and Frothe. I would buy these towels (I did because it’s better to have more towels...you don’t want to swipe more than once on a clean side) Eurow Microfiber Premium 16in x... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0031B4YU2?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

Hope this helps. Cheers

• Informative
Reactions: darxsys and Gjawhar
I'm going to say something that will wipe away all the karma I have in Tesla community, but: I wash at whatever brush wash I find along the road and don't give a damn about scratches to the paint.
The car will get old anyway, I will get old anyway. I will have lines on my face, my car will have scratches on its paint.

I wouldn’t mind a car wash if I had a white or silver car. Black or any dark color with 2x weekly (or any amount) brush car washes just ruins the car (especially for a car enthusiast). I personally love walking out to my car and admiring it. That being said, it’s your car and everyone’s situation is different...a car wash is certainly convenient. If you use a car wash that much you should have it waxed a few times a year imo.

I'm going to say something that will wipe away all the karma I have in Tesla community, but: I wash at whatever brush wash I find along the road and don't give a damn about scratches to the paint.
The car will get old anyway, I will get old anyway. I will have lines on my face, my car will have scratches on its paint.

We use a Touch type car wash. It is of the latest greatest technology though. No brushes, sino, what looks like strips of microfibre cloths on a wheel. Does an outstanding jobs including rims and tires which are blackened on exit. Car looks like it came out of the showroom every time. Under carriage spray. Really complete. 40 bucks a month unlimited. We go about twice a week (we make a point of making out a bit when we are in there...I’m 57...not dead).

Once a year we take the car to a detailed and he power buffs the entire car. If there were any micro scratches from the car wash they are gone after he is done. Car is 4 years old. Looks brand new.