Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Off topic galore

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
RIP
1653592133292.png

I was commenting on the underlying discussion, not on your factual correction. Getting back to the ATH is, IMO, a given. I don't know of anyone who would sell there unless the execution of Tesla takes a major turn for the worse. Which I think is about as likely as Bill Gates ever being a likeable guy.

Coolness. I have trouble telling if 'you' means me or people in general. :)

I do tend to divide things into fractions though...
City X is halfway to destination , Y is half again, Z is 30 minutes away...

Reactions: UltradoomY
The keycard is in a largeish plastic case tucked under the sunvisor when you pickup the car. Although the screen choices are set to “Lock on walkaway”, the car only locks by holding the keycard next to the B pillar. This helps first time renters from leaving the key in the car.
Walkaway only works with a fob or paired phone. Key card is short range NFC.
The car performs lane keeping and following safely but will run stop signs and stop lights.

Yah, rentals don't have FSD.

This was kinda disgusting to visualize about the focus on efficiency meat production worldwide. I've mostly moved to a completely veg-at-home-meat-outside diet with Beyond and Impossible meats at home. Lost a good chunk of weight in the process.

When I quit eating meat in 1967 I thought about eating fake meat. I eventually decided that if I ate fake meat I'd never lose the craving for meat and I'd always know that I was eating an imitation, rather than the real thing. So I switched to plant-based proteins. (And I continued to eat dairy.)

Within a few years I no longer craved meat. After a few more, meat began to be repulsive. I recommend beans, which are delicious, nutritious, and healthful, rather than fake meats, which are problematic from a health standpoint, and are less efficient than actual plants, due to the intensive processing needed.

Boy howdy are things going to get weird.

"However, Nokia CEO, Pekka Lundmark, claims that by 2030, a lot of people will put down their smartphones. He claims “many devices will be implanted directly into our bodies.”

Nokia CEO Pekka Lundmark believes that smartphones could become obsolete in the coming decade. Speaking on a panel at the World Economic Forum in Davos, Lundmark said that commercial use of 6G will begin in 2030 and by that time, smartphones “will not be the most common interface.”"

Can't imagine what the blowback to all of this is going to look like as all of this stuff continues to move forward and integrated into societal life.

• Informative
This was kinda disgusting to visualize about the focus on efficiency meat production worldwide. I've mostly moved to a completely veg-at-home-meat-outside diet with Beyond and Impossible meats at home. Lost a good chunk of weight in the process.

There are new developments in enclosed spaces farming using LED lighting: much more efficient use of space and energy, also no need for weed killers, pesticides. Keywords: "container vertical farming" lilke

Are we forgetting how much smaller, cheaper and faster a dry electrode line is than those gigantic, expensive and inefficient drying kilns?
No, why?
Question (you gave a like to) was regarding cell energy density.
When talking about 4680, dry electrode:
Doesn't dry electrode also allow for better chemistries? Maxwell hinted at improved energy densities. I was expecting near/above 300Wh/kg already with the 4680 cells.
Has this slide become obsolete?

I could have more directly addressed oven power in this reply, but contraflow can recapture a lot of energy so it would be total guesswork on my part.
Yes, dry. No ovens, no solvent recovery, cells were delayed due to calendering roller denting.
Not sure what the argument is (over vehicle life, cells are better than gas), but a lot of the complaint is regarding mining, not drying (solvent is captured and reused).
How much CO2 is emitted by manufacturing batteries?

No, why?
Question (you gave a like to) was regarding cell energy density.

I could have more directly addressed oven power in this reply, but contraflow can recapture a lot of energy so it would be total guesswork on my part.
Given we're OT anyway...my questions are mostly about:
- the various contributions to cost reduction;
-what developments re most likely to make expansion faster;
- how all those interact to increase operating efficiency;
-how to reduce need for scarce, expensive and/or 'dirty' processes;
-how much warranty and maintenance is eliminated from these changes;
-how much factory space is eliminated?, how many robots eliminated?, ditto labor?.
I do not know enough to begin to think about how to optimize these things.
Several people are seeing to be disappointed about relatively modest weight reduction for 4680 Model Y, somehow I suspect we've too little data to know anything definitive.
So, my question for you was intended to trigger your thoughts on all that, which I did in a ham-fisted way.

Frankly it seems to me that the combination of 4680, structural pack, mega-castings together yield perhaps close to, say, 30% vehicle production cost reduction. That seems outrageous until we see how small the production lines seem to be. I also think little of this is evident right now due to the factory stoppages, parts shortages etc.

So, Mongo, am I consuming too much kool-aid? Am I thinking clearly?

Given we're OT anyway...my questions are mostly about:
- the various contributions to cost reduction;
-what developments re most likely to make expansion faster;
- how all those interact to increase operating efficiency;
-how to reduce need for scarce, expensive and/or 'dirty' processes;
-how much warranty and maintenance is eliminated from these changes;
-how much factory space is eliminated?, how many robots eliminated?, ditto labor?.
I do not know enough to begin to think about how to optimize these things.
Several people are seeing to be disappointed about relatively modest weight reduction for 4680 Model Y, somehow I suspect we've too little data to know anything definitive.
So, my question for you was intended to trigger your thoughts on all that, which I did in a ham-fisted way.

Frankly it seems to me that the combination of 4680, structural pack, mega-castings together yield perhaps close to, say, 30% vehicle production cost reduction. That seems outrageous until we see how small the production lines seem to be. I also think little of this is evident right now due to the factory stoppages, parts shortages etc.

So, Mongo, am I consuming too much kool-aid? Am I thinking clearly?
You sound rational to me.

It seems to me the biggest impact is on capEx. One casting adds: a gigapress, 3ish robots, and a CNC to remove flash/ feeds/ runners. Raw materials are ingots and oil
It removes: stamping dies, 300 robots, a lot of assembly jigs/ cells/floor space, racks and volume needed for stampings. Raw materials: roll stock, welding wire, welding tips. There is also human labor involved with racking(& unracking?) stampings. Plus setup, tuning, maintenance.
With dual castings, it removes about 600 of the 1000 robots.

Structural pack allows a lot of interior preassembly which shifts floors space from main line to sub line. New material flow uses third dinension to maximize ground area utilization.

4680 increases active/total cell volume ratio and electrical efficiency. Also reduces needed cell linear speed/ unit counts. DBE removes ovens and solvent system (lots of CapEx).

Not sure if it's 30% reduction to the end product, but definitely could be at least that to the equipment cost of a factory build.

Norway's Labour government introduces a 25% tax on EVs starting next year

The value added tax will be for cars costing 500.000 NOK ($50.300) or more. But only on the above 500k part of the car price.

The Model 3 costs from NOK 409.990 to 534.990

The Model Y costs from NOK 559.000 to 599.000

The S and X models cost even more but Tesla do not list prices for now.

So a car costing ie. 600.000 will get VAT for the 100.000 of the price above 500.000. Taxes then will be 25.000 and the total price of the car including taxes will be 625.000 NOK.

The original plan was even worse with VAT on the whole price and then a refund for the below 500k part. The refund would have to be negotiated each year making it easy to cut down. While the VAT above 500k is a new law so it will be effective until actively changed.

Source: – Et skritt nærmere målet

• Informative
If there was any sense to the idea of mixing systems it would have been done. It's not because they are competing for the same scarce resource.
Examples of what you claim isn't being done have been posted. What you say isn't happening litterally is. This is the same attitude you exhibited when you claimed robotic hands were impossible even though they exist.
I am happy to drop the topic, but my information was sourced from YouTube videos featuring a small number of farms (/trials) who were actually deploying solar.
Exactly.

Reactions: MC3OZ
A really awesome app