Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Official Picture thread for bagged Model 3's. Show us your frunks and trunks!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Something different from most setups

20220729_130510.jpg

20221012_232517.jpg

20221012_233108.jpg

Hey guys, all your cars look sick!

Quick question. I think I’m about to jump on air suspension for my model Y but had an important question that nobody can really answer (from vendors and individuals).

Sensamo. Worst case scenario, type of guy, what happens if by chance, your airbags, all pop, and your car goes all the way down to the floor. How will you ever raise your car to get a jack under the hair or to get it towed? I’m pretty sure that is a very low likelihood, but what if it does? Also, I see that most of the struts have threaded bodies. Is it possible to put the setting so high that when your car ait’s out to zero that the car will still be a drivable height ?

All 4 bags going at the same time - you're more likely to win the lottery than for that to happen to you. You can put a valve between your tank and manifold to keep the system pressurized, But you can set the strut height to a decent height on the Y and keep it driveable - just with no air it will ride like a VW beetle with no suspension LOL

Quick question. I think I’m about to jump on air suspension for my model Y but had an important question that nobody can really answer (from vendors and individuals).

Sensamo. Worst case scenario, type of guy, what happens if by chance, your airbags, all pop, and your car goes all the way down to the floor. How will you ever raise your car to get a jack under the hair or to get it towed? I’m pretty sure that is a very low likelihood, but what if it does? Also, I see that most of the struts have threaded bodies. Is it possible to put the setting so high that when your car ait’s out to zero that the car will still be a drivable height ?
Ideally you should also keep a patch kit with you. That's what we do for our clients. A couple of PTC unions and extra airline in the event there is a breach in the system between the manifold and the bag itself. Sadly that's one of the major risks you take with air. I always keep some contingencies in the car. One such contingency, if going on a longer distance drive from home, would be a air bag jack that you can tie into your tank or compressor if needed. That way if you need to jack up the car you can do so and install your patch kit. In regards to protecting other areas of the system I would say a dual compressor setup is great because it will be rare that both compressors die. If you have a manifold or some other issue then installing valves in between the mani and each corner is strongly advised, with PTC's, so that you can tie directly into the system and manually inflate it with an external compressor or at the gas station etc... Just gotta make sure you have air line and a PTC Schrader valve. All those things can be packaged together if you connect with the right reseller of air suspension that is detail oriented. They can give you a comprehensive package.

@jpy1980 Do you want your air suspension to put the car on the ground when aired out? If not, I imagine you could setup your shock lengths / bump stops to avoid it entirely. I think that's how OEM air suspension is normally done, where "slam to the ground while parked" isn't usually a feature. :)

Disclaimer: I have no experience with aftermarket air suspension. I don't know what range of adjustment the shock bodies usually have, if any. Nor do I know how feasible it would be to install longer bump stops if needed.

Of course if you're going with air so you can slam it on demand, this advice doesn't apply. However if you're just seeking the smoother ride that can come with a good air suspension then this might be feasible.

Reactions: jpy1980