Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Oh boy, there is going to be some learning curve for model 3 owners

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Don't touch charge handles plugged into others' cars.
In addition, I make it a habit to not touch the charge handles of cables even plugged into my car when charging. Just a safety thing thinking about 100KW and more sometimes flowing in there at superchargers. That's a thousand 100 watt light bulbs. Enough to light a city block kind of power. Even at home plenty of power to kill. I always stop charging on the screen if it isn't already stopped before touching the cable.

• Funny
Reactions: FlatSix911
My S acts the way you are discussing here - even if the key isn't anywhere in sight, I can unlock the charge port door with the button on the charger handle. My X does not act the same way. My X needs to be unlocked or the charge port door will not open. I often have to use my phone in the garage so that I can plug the X in, and never have to do so for the S.

Maybe it's a specific issue for my car, but I know @K-MTG also has an X so that could be the source of his claim as well.

My S and X behave the same way as @ohmman indicated his does. They are parked next to each other in our garage and if I press the button on the HPWC handle, both S and X charge ports open only if I have the X key near (or it’s unlocked). If the X isn’t unlocked, only the S charge port opens. The S opens even if the car is locked, the X does not.

I can't get the charge port to EVER open from the cable plug on my model 3. Locked or unlocked. I know it isn't a problem with the cable because it opens the model S every time. Have to open the charge door from the screen inside the model 3. Something for my next service visit...

I can confirm that on two different HPWC's that the button on the handle does not open the charging port. The car is unlocked. No need to use the screen inside the M3. Tapping the charging port door opens it. The button on the handle of the included UMC with my M3 does open the charging port. They must have changed the frequency of the RF signal, and the Model 3 isn't recognizing the old frequency. Hopefully this can be fixed with a software update so the M3 will recognize the older charging connectors' buttons.

I can confirm that on two different HPWC's that the button on the handle does not open the charging port. The car is unlocked. No need to use the screen inside the M3. Tapping the charging port door opens it. The button on the handle of the included UMC with my M3 does open the charging port. They must have changed the frequency of the RF signal, and the Model 3 isn't recognizing the old frequency. Hopefully this can be fixed with a software update so the M3 will recognize the older charging connectors' buttons.

Do you know which version of the HPWC you tried? My HPWC handle button opens the Model 3 charge port, but I found that it has to be in close proximity to the charge port unlike in my X or S (in those, I can be several fee away and it works fine). But I have to be very close to the charge port on the 3 for it to open it (an inch or two away).

I have the 24' HPWC P/N 1050067-01-E

• Informative
Reactions: ℬête Noire
I have to be very close to the charge port on the 3 for it to open it (an inch or two away).

That is the trick I was missing. I was holding the end 12" back, you know, so the door doesn't swing open and hit the connector. But you are correct, even 6" back is no good. I have to be within 2" of the upper left corner of the door, then it works. Of course, tapping the door always works too. Thanks!