Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ohio to Florida 1000 Mile Trip w/o Supercharger

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A definite step-up to my typical RV Park stay: Loretta Lynn Ranch (mid-way between Nashville and Jackson TN) had two story cabins with TVs, kitchen (with toaster, microwave, coffeemaker), shower, toilet, sink, a down-stairs Queen size bed with Linens and upstairs queen-size bed.
Oh, and 50 Amp charging outside my door.
Pricier, but worth it.

Thanks for your comprehensive response.

My wife and I have reached that point in life where "roughing it" is not on our list of things to do. What I would be looking for is a substitute for a hotel with a charger. So an overnight stay at a place like the Loretta Lynn Ranch with a 50 amp outlet outside would fit the bill. I know that a few of the KOA Kabins have linens and bathrooms, but it sounds like none have 50 amp outlets. Another issue would be whether these cabin accommodations can be rented for a single night or require a minimum stay of two or more days.

dmetcalf did the sleeping in the MS another step-up when he went camping with his two sons: He used a fully engaged tent at the rear of his plugged-in MS, and had the AC running to chill the inside of the car AND the tent (some assembly is required).
I really think this is GENIUS!
Maybe next trip?

David is our club's intrepid pacesetter. He and his son Adam were the first to break the 400 mile mark on a single charge. David has skills that we mere mortals don't have. :wink:

Thanks again.

Larry

I know that a few of the KOA Kabins have linens and bathrooms, but it sounds like none have 50 amp outlets. Another issue would be whether these cabin accommodations can be rented for a single night or require a minimum stay of two or more days.

Larry,
Sorry if I wasn't clear, ALL KOAs (and RV Parks) have 50 Amp, NEMA 14-50 outlets for Charging your MS.
RV Parks have lots of electrical capabilities, NOT all stations in a Park are 50A, some stations are only 30A, some stations have BOTH 50A and 30A.
The RV Park want to accommodate you, just let them know your requirement is for a 50 Amp Plug.
The rest is easy.
(The 110V outlet I had mentioned is INSIDE the Kabin, for your cell phone or laptop or to recharge your camera).

Sometimes they have Kabins, sometimes they have Lodges (might be able to sleep up to 10), sometime the KOA might have Kabooses, train cars (I don't know what is inside one, but would be willing to try it sometime.)

At all locations, I stayed only one night, except South Point/Yemassee, where I stayed two nights.

ALL my charging for my 3,000 mile trip was @ RV Parks with four exceptions:
**Marietta, GA Service Center. I called ahead and even though the crew was very busy, they allowed me to charge for about 6 hours or so (I have single charger).
**Charlotte, NC. I charged overnight @ outside a Whole Foods, used the J1772 adaptor, spent the night @ my friend's house.
**Burlington, NC. I charged twice at the Supercharger there, once headed East, once headed West.
**Near Forrest City, AR @ Village Creek State Park. I charged at a 14-50 outlet (they had at least six outlets.

Okay, I did stop at a Cracker Barrel in TN, but only got about an hour's charge @ a Blink station, J1772.
Kinda slow compared to a 14-50 outlet, so I moved on.
BUT one never knows, as it might work in a pinch.

Please tell David 'hi' and thanks for his advice and insight.
He is one of those individuals who probably will not take "NO" as the final answer, and we ALL benefit by his willingness to stretch the envelope a little bit further.

Larry,
Sorry if I wasn't clear, ALL KOAs (and RV Parks) have 50 Amp, NEMA 14-50 outlets for Charging your MS.
RV Parks have lots of electrical capabilities, NOT all stations in a Park are 50A, some stations are only 30A, some stations have BOTH 50A and 30A.
The RV Park want to accommodate you, just let them know your requirement is for a 50 Amp Plug.
The rest is easy.
(The 110V outlet I had mentioned is INSIDE the Kabin, for your cell phone or laptop or to recharge your camera).

Thanks. Yes, I know all KOA have 50 amp outlets. What I was specifically wondering about is do any of the Kabins have 50 amp outlets outside adjacent to the Kabin?

I suppose that if they don't and if a campsite is available it might be possible to charge there. However, I wouldn't want to pay for the Kabin and a campsite.

Larry

Thanks. Yes, I know all KOA have 50 amp outlets. What I was specifically wondering about is do any of the Kabins have 50 amp outlets outside adjacent to the Kabin?

I suppose that if they don't and if a campsite is available it might be possible to charge there. However, I wouldn't want to pay for the Kabin and a campsite.

Larry

Perhaps I understand.

You will be charged for the Kabin.
You MAY be charged additionally for charging the car, about $10 or so.
Sometimes they do, most times they don't charge extra if you are in a Kabin (depends on the local operator).

In Metter, GA, car was outside my Room.
In Charleston, SC, car was across road/path from Kabin
In Loretta Lynn's Ranch, in Hurricane Mills, TN car was right outside the cabin.

Other locations car was charging in a station, Kabin was not right adjacent, so I had to schlep my stuff (two or so trips) to get to the Kabin.