Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

3.5 year MYLR update 179.7k miles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Quick math using average prices for NY-NJ region over last few years (from Bureau of Labor Services)

180k miles at 30mpg using midgrade gas = $24,000
51500kwh charging at home with 15% overhead loss = $12-13,000

Net saving of $10k+
It depends on the car. I also have a long commute, it's 120 miles round trip and takes 1 hr 15 minutes in the morning and 2+ hrs on the way home. I used to practice law in NYC, so getting home at 5:00 most days is a major improvement.

Anyway, the gas savings depend on the car. I currently commute with a 2017 Prius Prime that has 318k miles. Our 2007 Prius has 517k miles. We have a vacation home we visit weekly, so 1k/week on the car. The Prius Prime gets over 60 mpg on the way home from work, when it has no charge.

I also have a MYP, but bought it when prices were higher. I don't want to risk destroying the battery in two years and being out of warranty, so I'm driving it 17k/yr until I'm out of the 8 year warranty. It would cost almost 30k/yr based on what I paid, if it needed a battery soon after the warranty runs out.

My tires are also pretty shot at 16k miles according to the place I got it inspected and at 2k for tires, this would be an expensive car to commute with. The Prius tires are good for 80k+ miles and are around $600 total to replace.

It depends on the car. I also have a long commute, it's 120 miles round trip and takes 1 hr 15 minutes in the morning and 2+ hrs on the way home. I used to practice law in NYC, so getting home at 5:00 most days is a major improvement.

Anyway, the gas savings depend on the car. I currently commute with a 2017 Prius Prime that has 318k miles. Our 2007 Prius has 517k miles. We have a vacation home we visit weekly, so 1k/week on the car. The Prius Prime gets over 60 mpg on the way home from work, when it has no charge.

I also have a MYP, but bought it when prices were higher. I don't want to risk destroying the battery in two years and being out of warranty, so I'm driving it 17k/yr until I'm out of the 8 year warranty. It would cost almost 30k/yr based on what I paid, if it needed a battery soon after the warranty runs out.

My tires are also pretty shot at 16k miles according to the place I got it inspected and at 2k for tires, this would be an expensive car to commute with. The Prius tires are good for 80k+ miles and are around $600 total to replace.
I use for baseline comparison a car that a person might otherwise purchase. For a 3/Y that would be an Audi with supercharged V6 or BMW with turbocharged I6 (which is what I indeed came from).

Other more efficient cars arent in same league of performance.

I too travel to NYC from NJ but likely not as often. My question for you is: since you have 179k+ miles and should have gone through several tires, which brand of tires have you decided is the best for the commute? I'm sure you have experienced the myriad of road construction projects on NYC roads and all kinds of weather which demands a good brand of tire. I'm sure you have found a pretty good tire for your needs.