Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

3.5 year MYLR update 179.7k miles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Love my Y it changed my 3.5 hour commute into something manageable. I drive from south NJ to NYC midtown M-F 4am to noon shift. 190 miles or so a day depending on road closures/errands.
Tires every 60-70k
AC compressor heat pump service
Holding up well. I do have to charge upwards of 100 especially in the winter 🥶 I time the charge though by adjusting amps so it finishes at 2am and usually isn’t quite done charging when I depart.
On the weekends it gets a break with 50% charge limit.
Charges to 270 on a good day. I estimate85% degredation and 60kwh usable from the 75 pack.

View attachment 1030395View attachment 1030396View attachment 1030397View attachment 1030398
Pretty car color! Just picked up my Y last week; (ultra red.) Curious … you get PPF? My understanding is most don’t, and may be cause I’m a new owner and LOVE the way the paint looks; cost relates to $7500 Fed discount though so …

Also see you’re using Stats App for Tesla. Cool app and useful long term? Trying free trial. Ow and looks cool, though wife is concerned about security.

Isn't it cheaper to move closer to work, or find a job closer to home? I never could understand these huge commutes. I did 50 minutes each way for a year, and that was enough
Sometimes it's not about cost.
For 20 years I drove 120 miles a day so that I could live in a mountain community and not in the city.
I'd sure have liked doing it in a Tesla but back then Elon was not available.

{I estimate85% degradation}

Just a thought: I wonder if 85% degradation in 3.5 yrs (granted with almost 180K miles) is mainly due to a lot of Supercharging on highways? i.e. if 180K miles after 3.5yrs of charging mostly at home then the battery degradation would be much less.

Any battery Engineers out there who could shed some lights on this subject?

Thanks
OP isn't supercharging, and there have been studies done that indicate that a lot of supercharging isn't as bad for the batteries as originally thought.

Reactions: Johnny Vector
Can U share the links of those studies? Greatly appreciated
Enjoy yours
Is Google not available in Philly? :cool:

This was good to see. I recently transitioned (well 8 months ago) to a job in Boston. Since the daughter graduates high school this year, I decided to commute back and forth from Boston to Philly. Was hesitant at first to use the MYLR but it's been super convenient and easy I might add (knock on wood). Do that every week. I have seen the usual reduction in range that comes with winter and I had to transition to work/supercharging more but it's holding up ok so far. Worst stretch for me is always if I need to use GWB 😬

Reactions: Johnny Vector
Is Google not available in Philly? :cool:

NO hahahahaha...
I don't believe everything that I read on internet. My back ground is engineering so I trust empirical data and reviews from true customers than info from internet which could be true or just advertisement. Same thing about medicine studies, right or wrong I only read medical studies from New England Medical journals or from highly reputable journals. Does not mean that I trust everything they say, final decision is still me, including taking Covid vaccines or not. Where I retired from, we fired a few scientists who said "I heard from Internet" (no lies)

BTW, thanks for your link. I really enjoy this Forum because Y pros give me empirical data.

Enjoy yours.

Reactions: EatsShoots
NO hahahahaha...
I don't believe everything that I read on internet. My back ground is engineering so I trust empirical data and reviews from true customers than info from internet which could be true or just advertisement. Same thing about medicine studies, right or wrong I only read medical studies from New England Medical journals or from highly reputable journals. Does not mean that I trust everything they say, final decision is still me, including taking Covid vaccines or not. Where I retired from, we fired a few scientists who said "I heard from Internet" (no lies)

BTW, thanks for your link. I really enjoy this Forum because Y pros give me empirical data.

Enjoy yours.
Me, too, re. data. i think that study is referring to the data discussed here:

1711655377728.png

Love my Y it changed my 3.5 hour commute into something manageable. I drive from south NJ to NYC midtown M-F 4am to noon shift. 190 miles or so a day depending on road closures/errands.
Tires every 60-70k
AC compressor heat pump service
Holding up well. I do have to charge upwards of 100 especially in the winter 🥶 I time the charge though by adjusting amps so it finishes at 2am and usually isn’t quite done charging when I depart.
On the weekends it gets a break with 50% charge limit.
Charges to 270 on a good day. I estimate85% degredation and 60kwh usable from the 75 pack.

View attachment 1030395View attachment 1030396View attachment 1030397View attachment 1030398
Holy crap on a cracker - I sincerely hope you are paid very well for those 18-ish hours per week you send sitting and driving. Like REALLY well. That's like suicide levels of commute for me.

Me, too, re. data. i think that study is referring to the data discussed here:

View attachment 1033084
I could be very wrong about this above chart
(1) it displays the degradation of battery due to frequency of fast charging (i.e. 10 times a week vs 2 times a week at SUPERCHARGE stations)
(2) I am looking for the degradation of battery due to the use of SUPERCHARGE stations (very fast) vs. charging at home (48A max)

Thanks

This is nice, I commute 95kms one way or roughly 118 miles round trip 3 times a week in my M3 and am already saving a lot of money and getting more smiles per hour (my previous car was a V8 Sedan :D). Must say I do think I should have gone for a MY, don't get me wrong, the longer range and the driving dynamics plus acceleration is all that I like over MY but MY would have been more comfortable for sure. Oh well may be I should upgrade to MYP if I get a good price :)

Impressive!
- 190 miles per day for 3.5hrs roundtrip total commute. That's my understanding.
- I assume you have not changed brakes since it's mostly highway driving. Confirm?
- At highway speeds with an 85% usable battery means you have to supercharge on the way or charge at work. No way you can make the 190miles. Except if you do start with 100% and you return home with 5%.... and you check your speed on the highway....that's some diligent piloting! But what do you mean "upwards of 100"?
- Someone asked about taking the train. Give it a try: it will be 6hrs commute (if you can find a train at 3am) and more expensive than driving your own car (that is useful input for those debating the congestion pricing logic)

Thanks for sharing.

Impressive!
- 190 miles per day for 3.5hrs roundtrip total commute. That's my understanding.
- I assume you have not changed brakes since it's mostly highway driving. Confirm?
- At highway speeds with an 85% usable battery means you have to supercharge on the way or charge at work. No way you can make the 190miles. Except if you do start with 100% and you return home with 5%.... and you check your speed on the highway....that's some diligent piloting! But what do you mean "upwards of 100"?
- Someone asked about taking the train. Give it a try: it will be 6hrs commute (if you can find a train at 3am) and more expensive than driving your own car (that is useful input for those debating the congestion pricing logic)

Thanks for sharing.
Yeap... early hrs Amtrak from NYC to WIL DE is very cheap. Round trip ~4:30 AM NYC to ~7:00 AM WIL and ~6:30AM WIL to ~ 8:00AM NYC could be had for $35-$45 roundtrip. Been there done that, several times

Holy crap on a cracker - I sincerely hope you are paid very well for those 18-ish hours per week you send sitting and driving. Like REALLY well. That's like suicide levels of commute for me.
I was thinking the same. 3-1/2 hrs each day for 5 days per week comes out to 16.5 hrs/week or 858 hrs / year. This is equivalent to 107 work days (using an 8 hr work day) of just driving.
That is insanity to me.
My round trip commute to work is 1 hr per day for 4 days per week. And most of that is highway with little traffic.
Glad to hear the Y is doing well after that many miles.