Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

OK, even if they don't have an electric car they can at least stop idling!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can't be too long a time. Many current ICE models shut down their engines every time their car comes to a stop. Even at a traffic light. Motor starts right back up when the throttle is pressed.

Most owners hate that "feature"

I rented a car with that once. Absolutely hated it because there was even a greater delay than an idling engine when you want to pull out into traffic. Felt dangerous and was worried about it instantly stalling. Was certainly glad to get back into my Tesla.

From start-stop (aka fossil car that stops the engine when idling), sometimes called micro-hybrid to
mild-hybrid that can actually do something electrically, like "significant" regen and assist to accelerate (including getting to minimal speed before starting the engine).

Good for her, both for the project itself and for earning her Silver Award. I'll bet she goes on to earn Gold too.

As a corollary to the school project, It would be great if drive-through lanes were made "no idling zones" too. Think how many gallons of fuel would be saved and how much less pollution there would be if everyone shut off their engine while waiting in line.

That is a good point. Here in California In-and-Out Burger can have lines with literally 100 cars! In Ventura, Ca. they have a parking lot where the lines wraps around itself like covered wagons. I am going to suggest to my daughter that she contacts In and Out's corporate offices and at least requests they put up no idling signs at the Burger joints.