Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

OK, even if they don't have an electric car they can at least stop idling!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My 14 year old daughter was able to get her school to do a No Idling Policy meaning parents at after school pick up need to turn off engines! With her first 3 days home from school due to Corona Virus, she put together this website:

https://www.noidlingproject.com/

Good for her! My daughter's school has this policy, and they remind parents of it fairly frequently, and still many people sit there idling. At least the Tesla ratio is rising (our Model S was the first Tesla at the school in 2013, now there are MANY S, X and 3's.

• Love
Reactions: gene
Whatever happened to kids walking to and from school like I did when I was a kid? I lived for a while in the same neighbourhood I grew up in. The kids now days take a bus.

My generation made terrible parents.

Well gasoline vehicles are clean(er) when they are idling and have hot aftertreatment devices.
Diesels on the other hand are not clean when running idleas aftertreatment devices cool down and
other processes happen during idling.

There is a different that must be noted.
"Don't make things worse" is more important than doing anything.

Well gasoline vehicles are clean(er) when they are idling and have hot aftertreatment devices.
Diesels on the other hand are not clean when running idleas aftertreatment devices cool down and
other processes happen during idling.

There is a different that must be noted.
"Don't make things worse" is more important than doing anything.

How long can gas cars idle before it really is cleaner to shut them off?

In some places this just isn't an option. I'd like to see someone sit in their car with the AC turned off, with over 100F outside and not die.
Without AC? Do you have an AC device while walking outside in 100F?
If not, how is the car different? Did you know you can open the windows WHILE driving. Making vehicle pretty much "outside", sometimes with wind, sometimes with natural draft.
Also I was in Cancun a week ago. No problem to be there without AC and in a car. Even with closed windows (running fan).

• Funny
Reactions: cucubits
Whatever happened to kids walking to and from school like I did when I was a kid
The media has scared parents so badly that the believe their kids will be snatched the moment they step outside. I don't believe the percentage of bad guys is greater today than it was fifty years ago. The difference is that every child related crime gets aired for as many clicks/views as it can.

Reactions: F14Scott
What is "cleaner". CO2 is not dirty. Soot, NOx, HC, those can be called "dirt".
Switching off will result in less CO2 but more everything else.
So the question is...?

Above you say that idling is better than shutting off briefly and turning on for gas cars due to keeping up the temp. My question is, how long can a vehicle idle and be “cleaner” due to keeping the temp up than if you just shut it off? Certainly an hour of idling is not better than just turning off the vehicle.

This is one of the reasons most airports encourage only hybrids or EVs in their waiting lines. Leaving gassers constantly idiling or starting and stopping every time they move up causes tremendous condensed pollution. Most all the Taxi's in SoCal have switched to Prius.

I believe no profound research has been done on that.
It's definitely at least 10-15 seconds of idling. But it can be even few minutes, depending how fast will
catalytic converter, lambda sensor(s) cool down. Also depends on ambient temp and wind.

My 14 year old daughter was able to get her school to do a No Idling Policy meaning parents at after school pick up need to turn off engines! With her first 3 days home from school due to Corona Virus, she put together this website:

https://www.noidlingproject.com/
Good for her, both for the project itself and for earning her Silver Award. I'll bet she goes on to earn Gold too.

As a corollary to the school project, It would be great if drive-through lanes were made "no idling zones" too. Think how many gallons of fuel would be saved and how much less pollution there would be if everyone shut off their engine while waiting in line.