TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

OK, even if they don't have an electric car they can at least stop idling!

Discussion in 'Electric Vehicles' started by gene, Mar 19, 2020.

1. gene

gene Supporting Member

#1 gene, Mar 19, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2020
    My 14 year old daughter was able to get her school to do a No Idling Policy meaning parents at after school pick up need to turn off engines! With her first 3 days home from school due to Corona Virus, she put together this website:

https://www.noidlingproject.com/

• Like x 6
  2. jerry33

jerry33 (S85-3/2/13 traded in) X LR: F2611##-3/27/20

It's well known that asthma problems are worse if you live on a busy street, idling in the school pickup zone creates a similar environment. However, I can see why drivers don't want to stop the engine--it might not start again.

• Like x 1
    • Funny x 1
  3. jerry33

jerry33 (S85-3/2/13 traded in) X LR: F2611##-3/27/20

• Like x 2
  4. cschock

cschock Member

Good for her! My daughter's school has this policy, and they remind parents of it fairly frequently, and still many people sit there idling. At least the Tesla ratio is rising (our Model S was the first Tesla at the school in 2013, now there are MANY S, X and 3's.

• Love x 1
  5. S'toon

S'toon Knows where his towel is

Whatever happened to kids walking to and from school like I did when I was a kid? I lived for a while in the same neighbourhood I grew up in. The kids now days take a bus.

My generation made terrible parents.

6. gene

gene Supporting Member

7. arnis

arnis Member

Well gasoline vehicles are clean(er) when they are idling and have hot aftertreatment devices.
    Diesels on the other hand are not clean when running idleas aftertreatment devices cool down and
    other processes happen during idling.

There is a different that must be noted.
    "Don't make things worse" is more important than doing anything.