Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Ok, Google" in the car would be beyond fantastic

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
"Hey Siri" works as well. Long delay before the mic (through Tesla) works though.

Yep, thats how I do it now in the Model 3. You have to turn on Hey Siri on your phone (which I had off before) but it works ok.

"Hey siri" (pause), Read me my last text messages" or "what football games are on tonight" or anything else you would do with long press of the steering wheel button to access it. It works ok, and the audio is through the car speakers, and fits my requirement of not touching the phone while I drive.

On my BMWs I put my phone in the center console (armrest) so that I can not access it easily while I drive, but I do use voice commands as above. I have the wireless charging pad from nomad in my model 3, so put my phone there in this car. I can reach it when I drive (I have long arms, lol) but I wont do anything that requires me to physically touch the phone. Its a personal requirement of mine (made when I was teaching my child how to drive, and I said "we dont touch phones while driving in the car". I made a point of never touching it after that conversation and that was 2009 or so.

What you can do without touching the phone has vastly improved since then, however. I dont miss much not being able to touch it since I dont use facebook, or waze. I DO however, now drive a car with a big Q$%%# touchscreen so its like I am touching my phone all over again... lmao.

"Hey Siri" works as well. Long delay before the mic (through Tesla) works though.

"Hey siri" long delay is really long. And that assumes your radio isn't blasting preventing it from hearing you. It works so much better triggering it from the phone. Mutes radio, works instantly and is not listening for "hey siri" from the phone mic.