Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Old guy driving

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
few random things I've realized as a new Tesla MY owner of age
1) I read the manual -- I never read manuals in my other cars
2) in the braking and hold I have I have put my foot on the floor vs. a brake pedal in a reg. car otherwise I hold my foot in the air and my achilles hurts
3) there are a lot of really smart people on the motor club board and they are very helpful -- unlike twitter
4) the car is really really fast and a porsche pulling along side at the light knows it
5) the left steering button to change songs is really nice (back to #1)
6) I think the fart thing is pretty funny -- but my wife probably doesn't
7) the app picture on my iphone changing to match the car is pretty cool
8) the charging port automatically closing after charging is thoughtful
9) the magnets on the visor catch is very thoughtful
10)

2) in the braking and hold I have I have put my foot on the floor vs. a brake pedal in a reg. car
otherwise I hold my foot in the air and my Achilles hurts.
When using AutoPilot I don't know where to put my right foot:
- I try putting on the floor but in case I need to use the brakes I don't feel comfortable this way.
- I prefer keeping my right foot above the accelerator pedal without touching it. But after a while I get tired.
- So now I keep my right feet above the accelerator and I just put the side of my right foot to touch the side of the brake pedal.

Reactions: house9 and same
as someone that fits in this topic, I am trying to be careful and still enjoy the car. Instead of peeling out when I enter onto a roadway, I enter the road slowly and then floor it. Helps that the steering just needs to be fairly straight at that point. Still puts a smile on my face. I have noticed that on my last car, the wipers worked with a flick of the right stalk. Now, I just keep turning off TACC accidentally. More driver re-training is required. After driving standards for many years, I have not yet adjusted to how strong the regen is. I'm expecting to coast more. Yes I can tune down the regen, but at my age it's probably safer to have a stronger regen and re-train the driver.

as someone that fits in this topic, I am trying to be careful and still enjoy the car. Instead of peeling out when I enter onto a roadway, I enter the road slowly and then floor it. Helps that the steering just needs to be fairly straight at that point. Still puts a smile on my face. I have noticed that on my last car, the wipers worked with a flick of the right stalk. Now, I just keep turning off TACC accidentally. More driver re-training is required. After driving standards for many years, I have not yet adjusted to how strong the regen is. I'm expecting to coast more. Yes I can tune down the regen, but at my age it's probably safer to have a stronger regen and re-train the driver.

I think the regen breaking is better than me :) plus it reminds me of when I was little on bumper cars at Six Flags.

• Funny
Reactions: IdaBish
few random things I've realized as a new Tesla MY owner of age
1) I read the manual -- I never read manuals in my other cars
2) in the braking and hold I have I have put my foot on the floor vs. a brake pedal in a reg. car otherwise I hold my foot in the air and my achilles hurts
3) there are a lot of really smart people on the motor club board and they are very helpful -- unlike twitter
4) the car is really really fast and a porsche pulling along side at the light knows it
5) the left steering button to change songs is really nice (back to #1)
6) I think the fart thing is pretty funny -- but my wife probably doesn't
7) the app picture on my iphone changing to match the car is pretty cool
8) the charging port automatically closing after charging is thoughtful
9) the magnets on the visor catch is very thoughtful
10)
I can totally identify with you. I got my model X almost three years ago. I printed the entire manual three months before delivery so I could study it. I was 78 years old. Got pretty good as using most features of the vehicle. After a while, you fall in to patterns of using the features that you like. I love the self drive and use it all the time. Now my lease is ending and I have order in for model Y. I will print the manual again. This time I will have a bit of a leg up Because of my time with the X. Enjoy your car!

ok last one #12 -- I find it cool coming out of the grocery store and popping the frunk....and putting in the groceries. People looking around like wtf...keep in mind I'm not from CA. I then start thinking is it time to get my oil changed? and then slam myself in the head.

The frunk is super fragile since it is made out of aluminum. I am going avoid using that cargo space and use the rear hatch instead. I wonder why Tesla did not decide to put the honeycomb foam guard underneath the hood like they did for the Model 3.

The frunk is super fragile since it is made out of aluminum. I am going avoid using that cargo space and use the rear hatch instead. I wonder why Tesla did not decide to put the honeycomb foam guard underneath the hood like they did for the Model 3.

agreed I don't use it much (pretty much shelter in place)....and I read you need to be super careful when closing and use two hands on opposite sides of the middle.

I also really like the auto wipers. Passing a truck on a rainy day and getting the spray from the truck on the windshield, I love that the wiper speed up without any intervention.
I am glad I didn't have this car when I was 18 or 20. Probably wouldn't have made it to 21. However, Teslas are one of the safest cars on the road, so maybe I would have made it to 21, but not the car.

Reactions: same
, I enter the road slowly and then floor it .

This is a holdover. Leave that old way behind. The traction control is so good that you can floor it and THEN make the turn. I like to do this while making a turn from a stop sign in wet conditions. The effect is.... that you slowly complete the turn, and as soon as you straighten out, YOU’RE OFF!

But remember, it’s only really mind blowing if you smack the accelerator pedal to the floor first thing, and keep it there.

Reactions: same
I smoked a Camaro ZL1 yesterday. Ya gotta love 100% horsepower and torque instantly.. We were at a stop light. Speed limit was 45. took me only seconds to hit 45 but it took him a bit longer!

I actually kept up with a motorcycle today!!! I could never do that in my old modded up '92 Laser AWD Turbo. It was SWEET!

The fart is awesome! I put it on when I took my dad for a drive, he got a good giggle out of it. My mom, well she ordered her car on 6/6 and got a VIN a couple days ago. I put the sounds on before she realized it. We backed out of their garage and she pulled up to the sign and signaled, and completely lost it. We were laffing so hard we were crying! I still want to find a way to make that a permanent signal sound and not have to reset it every time I get back in the car...

Last edited:
I also really like the auto wipers. Passing a truck on a rainy day and getting the spray from the truck on the windshield, I love that the wiper speed up without any intervention.
I am glad I didn't have this car when I was 18 or 20. Probably wouldn't have made it to 21. However, Teslas are one of the safest cars on the road, so maybe I would have made it to 21, but not the car.
Understand that those wipers weren't always that way. When I got my Model 3, the automatic wipers were unusable. They either didn't register the rain at all or went crazy for no reason. One time, I parked under a tree and the sun was filter through the leaves onto the car. The wipers went haywire, going so fast I thought they were going to fly off the car.