Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Old Leather Steering Wheel Available?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey, I'm considering replacing my 2015 steering wheel that has the nice leather, but was informed that part #1005297-00-E has that new funky pleather covering and the old leather covered wheel is no longer available. Is this the correct part number for the old leather wheel? Thanks!

I test drove a Model 3 with the "funky pleather covering" about two weeks ago.

While my heinie couldn't feel the difference between the leather covering of my next-gen S seats and the vegan leather of the new 3 seats (overall, however, the 3 seats were narrower than the S seats, resulting in an uncomfortable seat for my extra width), my hands could feel the difference on the wheel. The vegan wheel is slightly grippier than the leather wheel on my 2015 S, but didn't feel quite as high quality of a material.

Since Tesla has gone all-in on the vegan leather, your best bet would be from a wrecked/parts S of the correct year.

I don't know if the wheel can be swapped without some kind of software re-program.

Odd thing to do, what is wrong with your current wheel that it need replacing? I changed mine out a while back but that was part of the DIY heated wheel conversion.

And you can find wheels online at many scrap yards that are in new'ish condition.
Both of these companies are reputable for getting replacement parts for Teslas from totaled/scrapped cars. Call or message them, as the online listings aren't always current stock levels.