Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

on Valuing Alternative Energy

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

SageBrush

REJECT Fascism
May 7, 2015
New Mexico
RMI takes a look at the different accounting practices used today in estimating the utility of an alternative energy project
Not All Renewables Are Created Equal: Quantifying the Emissions Benefits of Institutional Renewable Energy Purchasing Options - Rocky Mountain Institute

I take the article as a somewhat veiled criticism of renewable energy certificates (REC), but that is probably because of my skepticism towards them in the first place. It strikes me as fairly obvious that removal of a kWh from the grid that would have been produced from coal is considerably more worthwhile than removing a kWh generated from NG, let along hydro or even nuclear.

Once the current misery of US government is wiped clean and a more rational approach to climate change can be considered, I hope these issues are dealt with at a regulatory level by requiring that clean energy production be given precedence in use and that the most polluting sources be curtailed first rather than the current practice of curtailing the most expensive sources first.