Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Onboard charger needs replacing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thank you for your answer - let me know how it goes for you. I will make pictures/a video if I manage to replace it - that will make life easier for the next of us who attempt this.
I am a little afraid to wait because if only one more phase goes out, I will not be able to use it anymore. What I will do is store it for now, put it back and then go to Tesla if a recall is issued.

Reactions: dbldwn02
Thank you for your answer - let me know how it goes for you. I will make pictures/a video if I manage to replace it - that will make life easier for the next of us who attempt this.
I am a little afraid to wait because if only one more phase goes out, I will not be able to use it anymore. What I will do is store it for now, put it back and then go to Tesla if a recall is issued.
Make sure you get the correct revision AND the one that matches your "XS x-x" code. My code that's etched into the charger is XS 1-1. The one I got in the mail was a 1-2. I couldn't get the car to recognize or deploy firmware to the "1-2" My only option is to see if the seller has a 1-1 sitting around and then try again.

I'm being told by people who are experienced with this issue (not Tesla Techs) that if the configuration changes, Tesla Toolbox is needed to fix it. $100/day or $3000/yr. Your best bet is to make friends with someone who has Tesla Toolbox BEFORE you swap the charger.

I currently have the exact issue with my 2013 Tesla Model S . I almost had a small stroke when the quoted $3000.00 plus tax. Your questions mirror my questions. I hope someone gets back to us with some answers.
If you have a 2013 MS, then it is not the same. You gave either Gen1 or Gen2 OBC that can be fixed with ease. Can you post a picture of them? They are situated under the rear seat.

Reactions: dbldwn02
We'll, it worked! Back to charging at 48 amps!

The XS1-1 is the correct part. The 1-2 wouldn't take the firmware upgrade. It just faulted mid flash.

Luckily Tesla decided to give me 2021 firmware upgrade today, the same day I swapped the charger. I can't believe the timing on that! I didn't have to mess with restaging firmware, service menus, or toolbox.

I'll make a write up with some tips, tricks and gotchas.

Thanks for everyone's help!!! Couldn't have done it without yous guys!

• Informative
Reactions: GSP
Anyone have any updates? I am having the same problem - Dec 2016 Model S - P100D with 75W charger
Update for what exactly? What's a 75w charger?

If you have the half charge rate problem, it sounds like you need a new charger. $3k if Tesla does it. $500-750 if you buy one off eBay and do it yourself. If you're not experienced working around high voltage I would recommend you take it to Tesla.

Or just let it charge at half rate. Which is totally fine too.

Do I need to replace the whole onboard charger or just the fuse? Any help would be appreciated. I am ok charging at 26 amps but I would not want the whole charger to go and be stuck not being able to charge. I've seen the youtube video on how to replace the bad fuse but I just would like some insight if anybody has come across this issue and had it fixed. Thanks

you have to buy the MX service manual. It's on ebay.
Unless it was a one year stunt, you can subscribe to the service manual for free.

Currently, on Tesla Service:
Create a Tesla Account to access the following resources for free. Additional Diagnostic Software can be added to your account by purchasing a subscription.
  • Service Manual, Parts Manual, and Body Repair
  • Tooling Catalog and Wiring Diagrams
  • Service Bulletins
  • Labor Codes and Times
  • Service Mode Diagnostic Software (on the touchscreen)