Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

One of my best upgrades

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
To folks with the SUMA mirrors, I noticed there’s a metal tab on the OEM mirrors, that is not on the SUMA mirrors (see pictures below). Does anyone know what the metal tab on the OEM mirror does?

Is the OEM in the picture from a 2021 Y? Perhaps the extra contact is related to auto dimming. (AFIK The Suma mirrors do not have auto dimming yet.)

I love my aspherical mirrors in my Golf TDI. One of my most favorite mods - and added safety! Think I’ll be getting my a set of these here shortly after the holidays.

That extra metal tab... blinker connection even through we don’t have one?... yet?

Where does that metal tab ‘connect’ inside the housing? Does it lead into a housing/clip as a pressure mechanism to hold it in place or perhaps to a wiring harness for the elusive blinkers?

Is the OEM in the picture from a 2021 Y? Perhaps the extra contact is related to auto dimming. (AFIK The Suma mirrors do not have auto dimming yet.)
Unfortunately no, it’s a 2020 September build. I checked the online Fische and there’s no information there either. For some reason they do not even show the mirror itself, just the housing assembly.

I did get an email from the SUMA folks assuring me that the metal tab is not required, so I went ahead and mounted them up. They went on easily and after a bit of adjustment, sight lines seem to be very good. I’ll take her for a drive later to verify the added view angles.

• Helpful
Reactions: jmb12 and meh_
Hi there. I just got these in the mail for my model Y but I am very worried about the installation. It seems you have to stick a screwdriver and pray the other the original mirror off and I am worried I will break it.
My Package came with no instructions at all.

For those who have done it, is it pretty straightforward? I really don’t want have a very expensive repair here. I could only find one very poorly done video with bad lighting by summa showing how to do this and it did not Inspire a lot of confidence. In my experience, experienced mechanics make things look easy that for normal people are easy to screw up and break.

Thank you for your feedback.

I received my SUMA mirrors, installed them in about 10 minutes total - and have not been happier.

Best $200 I have spent on improving the safety of a Tesla MY.

VISIBILITY IS NOW AMAZING, and should have been this way from the factory.
It'd be great if they could do that. Unfortunately, in some states (e.g. MD) convex mirrors aren't allowed on the driver's side. Not that there is any enforcement for those of us who use aftermarket mirrors, but an OEM may have an issue.