Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wireless Charging Not Good

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Resist

Mar 24, 2019
California
I've never been able to get my iPhone 13 mini to charge very often on the left spot in my 2023 Model Y Performance. And sometimes it doesn't work on the right side either. I've tried taking the case off and it doesn't help. I really wish Tesla had left holes in the pad for cables to fit through to charge with because their wireless phone charging pad is terrible.

I've never been able to get my iPhone 13 mini to charge very often on the left spot in my 2023 Model Y Performance. And sometimes it doesn't work on the right side either. I've tried taking the case off and it doesn't help. I really wish Tesla had left holes in the pad for cables to fit through to charge with because their wireless phone charging pad is terrible.
something is wrong with your phone, the only issues there are with Tesla wireless charging is, case too thick, wont penetrate and if your phone is too large, the magnetic coil does not line up perfectly, iPhone pro max models
grab a family or friend iPhone and test, if their iPhone 14 pro or 15 pro fails to charge on either side with the case off, something is wrong with your wireless charger, take into the tesla in for service

something is wrong with your phone, the only issues there are with Tesla wireless charging is, case too thick, wont penetrate and if your phone is too large, the magnetic coil does not line up perfectly, iPhone pro max models
grab a family or friend iPhone and test, if their iPhone 14 pro or 15 pro fails to charge on either side with the case off, something is wrong with your wireless charger, take into the tesla in for service
Nothing is wrong with my phone and it's too big, I have even held it in the center of the pad and it wouldn't charge mostly on the left pad. And as I said I took the case off, even though it's a thin Apple leather case. I think it's just a weak wireless charging pad, Tesla should have done better.

They should add magnets for perfect alignment since it’s part of the Qi2 charging standard now and not just iPhones with MagSafe.
This is really the way… it’s the only option to ensure reliable fast charging across a range of devices.

Charging pads that don’t have alignment mechanisms are necessarily going to be a compromise because of varying phone form factors.

My iPhone 13 Pro charges reasonably well on the Model 3/Y pads but I suspect that’s because it’s like the reference for a “normal” size phone. Many more reports of problems, unsurprisingly, with the “max” or “mini” variants.

My iPhone 13 Pro charges reasonably well on the Model 3/Y pads but I suspect that’s because it’s like the reference for a “normal” size phone. Many more reports of problems, unsurprisingly, with the “max” or “mini” variants.
Yet in my case, as I have said, even when I hold my phone in the sweet spot on the pad it's still not charging. This is mostly for the left pad because I can just place my phone in the right side and it starts to charge. I think I have to take it to a service center for them to look at. But I hate having warranty work done because I've always gotten my cars back with scratches somewhere, even from Tesla.

Yet in my case, as I have said, even when I hold my phone in the sweet spot on the pad it's still not charging. This is mostly for the left pad because I can just place my phone in the right side and it starts to charge. I think I have to take it to a service center for them to look at. But I hate having warranty work done because I've always gotten my cars back with scratches somewhere, even from Tesla.
Have you tried someone elses phone? There is no issue charging normal sized android and iphones on Teslas. Yes, they could have higher charging wattage and be able to charge large phones, but its what we have.

My iPhone 12 Pro charged with no issue. I switched out to a 15 Pro and it won’t charge at all. There’s numerous other threads here with people having the same issue. The wireless charging pad is hit or miss depending on what phone you have. As others have said, without magnets to align the phone and charging pad it’s just luck of the draw if your phone will charge or not.

I have a 13 mini, and 3D printed a small spacer to lift the phone up. Charges every single time now. still gets hot, but adds a decent amount each drive.
As I said I held my 13 mini up so it would be right over the charging pad and it still wouldn't charge with the Apple leather case. So I took the case off and sometimes it would and sometimes it wouldn't charge. But I can set the phone on the right pad and 9 times out of 10 it charges.