Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

One Step at a Time - Gonna Place An Order - Advice Welcome

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Update! Next step completed. Still happy.

New plan UPDATED:
  1. Get my second COVID shot - I’m still paranoid DONE
  2. Schedule a Test Drive up at the Nashville, TN Showroom for sometime in April - like maybe April 1 😁 - Ended up scheduling one for today (3/25) since I was excited after getting shot. BUT ...... got rained out by a “tornado day” (not to be confused with a “snow day”) today. VERY BUMMED. 😡Rescheduled for April 8 ...... next slot in my sched. Seems a long way off ........😢 DONE! Yay! Test drive was a blast. Wife likes the car. Heard what others have called “booming” .... no prob - my CRV makes similar noise, but muffled by all the stuff in the back. Also maybe felt a little ear pressure .... maybe ..... we were both trying pretty hard to detect it ...... no prob. No buffeting. Good to go if still loving it tomorrow after excitement cool-down overnight.
  3. Spend now through Test Drive continuing to gather knowledge - DONE (man, I know more about this car now than I have about any other car I’ve ever purchased. 🧐)
  4. Place Order right after Test Drive TOMORROW!!!!! unless I hate it (nope) have lingering questions (nope) or something comes up during drive (nope). Delay delivery if schedule doesn’t work for me (but hopefully that won’t happen).
So far, been very pleased with interactions with Nashville Showroom. Responsive and helpful in scheduling and re-scheduling test drive. Very courteous and helpful with test drive and questions today.

Reactions: Jjrss and jcanoe
Order placed ........ lots of accessories, too ............. now to wait

Update! Next step completed. Still happy.

New plan UPDATED:
  1. Get my second COVID shot - I’m still paranoid DONE
  2. Schedule a Test Drive up at the Nashville, TN Showroom for sometime in April - like maybe April 1 😁 - Ended up scheduling one for today (3/25) since I was excited after getting shot. BUT ...... got rained out by a “tornado day” (not to be confused with a “snow day”) today. VERY BUMMED. 😡Rescheduled for April 8 ...... next slot in my sched. Seems a long way off ........😢 DONE! Yay! Test drive was a blast. Wife likes the car. Heard what others have called “booming” .... no prob - my CRV makes similar noise, but muffled by all the stuff in the back. Also maybe felt a little ear pressure .... maybe ..... we were both trying pretty hard to detect it ...... no prob. No buffeting. Good to go if still loving it tomorrow after excitement cool-down overnight. DONE
  3. Spend now through Test Drive continuing to gather knowledge - DONE (man, I know more about this car now than I have about any other car I’ve ever purchased. 🧐)
  4. Place Order right after Test Drive TOMORROW!!!!! unless I hate it (nope) have lingering questions (nope) or something comes up during drive (nope). Delay delivery if schedule doesn’t work for me (but hopefully that won’t happen). DONE
So far, been very pleased with interactions with Nashville Showroom. Responsive and helpful in scheduling and re-scheduling test drive. Very courteous and helpful with test drive and questions today.

Woo hoo ...... ordered my MY last night. Feeling good about the decision. Thanks for all the advice everyone ........ and the referral code @jcanoe

Reactions: msc777
Congratulations. Here are a few things to do while you wait:

As mentioned, plan your home or work charging infrastructure. Many use mobile chargers at home or work on old circuits even though they are slow.

Watch out for what non Tesla chargers are in your area or where you might travel and install and setup billing with their apps on your phone. Some places have very convenient EV parking that goes unused. You’ll need to use them periodically or it is a hassle to update the apps and billing when you need them.

Plan for any coatings, wraps or mods you want to make.

If you plan to road trip in rural areas, consider RV park plugs for the mobile adapter. Install PlugShare or similar app to find chargers.

If you get antsy, practice the online delivery checklist on a car on the lot.

Decide what to name your car. Can be as simple as “2021 Model Y”

Think about having the car delivered touchless if that is available in your area.

Last edited:
Congratulations. Here are a few things to do while you wait:

As mentioned, plan your home or work charging infrastructure. Many use mobile chargers at home or work on old circuits even though they are slow.

Watch out for what non Tesla chargers are in your area or where you might travel and install and setup billing with their apps on your phone. Some places have very convenient EV parking that goes unused. You’ll need to use them periodically or it is a hassle to update the apps and billing when you need them.

Plan for any coatings, wraps or mods you want to make.

If you plan to road trip in rural areas, consider RV park plugs for the mobile adapter. Install PlugShare or similar app to find chargers.

If you get antsy, practice the online delivery checklist on a car on the lot.

Decide what to name your car. Can be as simple as “2021 Model Y”

Think about having the car delivered touchless if that is available in your area.
I ordered mine from a Service Center. On delivery day I had an army of services guys correcting light scratches and other issues... honestly I walked away really impressed with their customer service.

If I'd received the same car with touchless delivery and all the same issues, I might have had a completely different opinion of Tesla quality and service (granted, they might go over touchless delivery cars with a finer toothed comb prior to delivery)

• Informative
Reactions: NeverGoingBack
Working through Pre-Delivery steps:
  • Delivery location: Nashville
  • Trade-In: Waiting for valuation
Ordered lots of accessories and things, many of which have already arrived. Pondering rear spoiler ...... I think I like the look of black spoiler on white car.

Landlord agreed to install 14-50 circuit/outlet for me. 🕺

Delivery estimate has evolved over past week:
  • Started as 1-10 weeks
  • Then became April 29-May 29
  • And then May 2 - June 2
  • And then May 6 - June 6
  • Currently April 29 - May 29 🧐
I’m taking that as “sometime in May, maybe”, which would actually work better for me than “right now”.

Maybe I should refresh again and see if delivery estimate gets better ..... 🤪 ........ nope, still April 29 - May 29.

Reactions: BrianBigNFun
Got the delivery appointment text and set a date/time. Now to finish payment and insurance details.

Happy with process so far. Thinking I might write up a comparison between this process and my last vehicle purchase at a Honda dealership. Might be interesting.

I really like the on-line/text interaction ...... along with an SA to contact if necessary. Spoke to my SA today, but mostly just to say “hi - I have an appointment now”. Way less fuss so far relative to Honda.

Reactions: dyau
Got the delivery appointment text and set a date/time. Now to finish payment and insurance details.

Happy with process so far. Thinking I might write up a comparison between this process and my last vehicle purchase at a Honda dealership. Might be interesting.

I really like the on-line/text interaction ...... along with an SA to contact if necessary. Spoke to my SA today, but mostly just to say “hi - I have an appointment now”. Way less fuss so far relative to Honda.

yea we are coming from a honda as well. so refreshing to know you wont have to face "the final boss" when you pick up your car who will try to sell you a bunch of bs additional services. My last guy was visibly upset at my wife and i when we turned them all down.

Reactions: NeverGoingBack
yea we are coming from a honda as well. so refreshing to know you wont have to face "the final boss" when you pick up your car who will try to sell you a bunch of bs additional services. My last guy was visibly upset at my wife and i when we turned them all down.
Yeah ..... don’t get me started ........ went in to buy an HR-V. Knew exactly what I wanted, saw one on sale in the lot, still took hours (lost count after 2) to get the job done and head home. And, I literally paid for it with my debit card ...... no kidding ........ one swipe, enter pin, paid in full. Sheesh!

And then there’s the story about my title and registration ............ like I said, don’t get me started.

Yeah ..... don’t get me started ........ went in to buy an HR-V. Knew exactly what I wanted, saw one on sale in the lot, still took hours (lost count after 2) to get the job done and head home. And, I literally paid for it with my debit card ...... no kidding ........ one swipe, enter pin, paid in full. Sheesh!

And then there’s the story about my title and registration ............ like I said, don’t get me started.
Congratulations. Came from Honda and Acura here and will not miss a single seconds of those experience. It's really fun reading your experience and excitement which is not unlike mine despite spreading from 2016 ordering M3 and taking delivery in 2018. Threads like these will benefit many new owners in the future.

Payment will be slightly interesting.

I haven’t had a bank account since I worked for Merrill Lynch way back in the 90s. Just a Cash Management Account with check-writing feature (using an associated BofA account). The Plaid site verifies my BofA credentials but tells me I have no eligible accounts. I’ve run into this before when trying to pay for things that want me to have a “proper” bank account.

Been tempted once or twice to just set up an online checking account just for this situation, but never have. Only happens once every few years.

Usually I get past this by using the routing/account numbers off my checks, and discovered I can manually do that in Plaid. But then there’s just a button that says “Pay” and I’m guessing there’s no “confirmation” step after that ...... so I’ve hesitated.

I could go the cashiers check route but nearest Merrill office where I would have to pick it up is an hour away ......... and besides, cashiers checks are so old school. It will also take a phone call and/or an email or two to set it up. Kind of a pain.

Or I could finally set up the online account and fund it before delivery day.

Or just hit Pay and see what happens. The probability I’ll reject the car is pretty low.

I’ll let y’all know what I decide.

Payment will be slightly interesting.

I haven’t had a bank account since I worked for Merrill Lynch way back in the 90s. Just a Cash Management Account with check-writing feature (using an associated BofA account). The Plaid site verifies my BofA credentials but tells me I have no eligible accounts. I’ve run into this before when trying to pay for things that want me to have a “proper” bank account.

Been tempted once or twice to just set up an online checking account just for this situation, but never have. Only happens once every few years.

Usually I get past this by using the routing/account numbers off my checks, and discovered I can manually do that in Plaid. But then there’s just a button that says “Pay” and I’m guessing there’s no “confirmation” step after that ...... so I’ve hesitated.

I could go the cashiers check route but nearest Merrill office where I would have to pick it up is an hour away ......... and besides, cashiers checks are so old school. It will also take a phone call and/or an email or two to set it up. Kind of a pain.

Or I could finally set up the online account and fund it before delivery day.

Or just hit Pay and see what happens. The probability I’ll reject the car is pretty low.

I’ll let y’all know what I decide.
You could also finance the car and then pay it off in month one. Unless you don’t want the credit hit.

Update:
  • Went ahead and made final payment using my routing & account numbers (car’s gonna have to be pretty rough for me to reject it)
  • Arranged for insurance and uploaded proof
Still enjoying doing all of this at my own pace, in the privacy of my home, on my tablet. Looking forward to delivery on Sunday. Only anxiety is from reading posts here (or as another member put it “FIA: Forum Induced Anxiety”)

SA says my car was built on 4/15/21, and that everything looks good to go.

A little puzzled that even though account says “your payment has been received”, funds have not yet left my account. Maybe they wait till I sign the loan? 🤔

Great idea ..... but I’m 150 miles from the showroom with no SCs between here and there. Nearest one to me is 50 miles in the opposite direction. I could stay overnight in Nashville but that starts to get complicated.

But ... given my rural location, the Tesla SC infrastructure was one of the key factors in persuading me to consider buying.

I’m kind of forcing myself to do the test drive anyway ..... to dial back my natural tendency to act on impulse.
That's what I did. Ordered MYLR for $100 to just get in line, then rented from Turo.com for 3 days to make sure it fits my expectations. Although I didn't need to, I charged it 3 times just to get the feeling. For me, the rental was a good idea before I make final payment.