Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Getting ready to place an order in February

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So me and the wife have a model 3 base we got used and decided that we are going to buy a Model y Long Range. Financing won't be an issue. But the real questions I have are what things should I be on the look out for? I keep hearing about the matrix headlights and OSS?(of which I have no idea that is). Is there any way to ensure we get some of those better features or is it luck of the draw? I'll be happy to place the order over the phone if it gets me a better chance to get certain things. We live in Corpus Christi if that affects what factory we get the car from?

Thanks guys and I know you get these questions all the time so I appreciate the help.

There was a time earlier this year when Tesla was switching over to new parts - the matrix headlights, removing the ultrasonic bumper sensors, and adding the next revision of the autopilot computer (“HW4”).

That switchover has long since happened and everything coming out of the factory right now is the same in terms of functionality and features. There’s nothing for you to do other than place an order.

Upvote 0

Pretty sure that's "USS". It's ultrasonic sensors. Those sensors were built into the front and rear bumpers for aiding the driver when the car is close to something.

Tesla removed those sensors and instead uses the cameras. Many people have said that it doesn't work as well as USS. I have USS on my car, so I can't give my own opinion... but judging based on the auto wipers that also use cameras, I'd say they're probably right.

Doesn't matter though, no new cars from Tesla have USS anymore. At least not the 3/Y. Not sure about S/X or Cybertruck.

Upvote 0
Correct but you can charge to 100% and that would be the same as charging the LR to the recommended 80%. AWD is an addition but after test driving both I didn't feel much difference.

You're right for daily trips but not for road trips. I made the same decision with my SR 3, also the delta is lower now than it was back then I believe the dual motor helps with regen too?

My only + with RWD is if you can unlock the range one day. Some posted that was possible with the SR 3. But no reports yet with Y

Upvote 0
Do you have any post related to this? AFAIK, SR 3 only had LFP batteries.
Search around and you’ll find it. LFP batteries didn’t come to ANY US Tesla until 2021. The original Standard Range (I.e. the “$35,000 Tesla”) was produced as an “off menu” option back in 2018-2019. It was a SR+ with a battery locked to 220 miles and some other stripped features.

Upvote 0
Search around and you’ll find it. LFP batteries didn’t come to ANY US Tesla until 2021. The original Standard Range (I.e. the “$35,000 Tesla”) was produced as an “off menu” option back in 2018-2019. It was a SR+ with a battery locked to 220 miles and some other stripped features.

Exactly. I am down to 180 miles now on my 3 and looked into unlocking but b/c so rare it's hard to find anyone even at TSLA to figure out/price. Most say it can't be done

The SR Y it might be an option but I'm getting an inventory LR at the same $45K price with current incentives. Charging to 100% does change the equation a bit, but not for trips

Upvote 0
I am down to 180 miles now on my 3 and looked into unlocking but b/c so rare it's hard to find anyone even at TSLA to figure out/price. Most say it can't be done

I dont work at Tesla or anything, but what exactly are you asking? If you ask Tesla about upgrading your SR to an SR+ they probably will all know what you are talking about. If you instead ask about only upgrading the range and nothing else, I only remember a couple people posting about that.

Given what I have seen about your deal hunting habits here, I suspect you are asking the later (unlock range only) instead of purchasing a sr to sr+ upgrade, but I obviously dont know this.

Upvote 0