Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

One Thing a Tesla Can't Do

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

wdolson

Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2015
Clark Co, WA
At least I don't think it's possible...

Jump start an ICE. I'm getting my old car ready to sell. It's been sitting for a couple of months as a whole bunch of life stuff seemed to happen at once just after getting my Model S. I found the battery was so flat the other day the dome lights wouldn't come on. I jump started it with my SO's Impreza. It had to run a while to charge up the Buick's battery enough to start the car.

As I was doing all this I looked at my Tesla in the garage and thought of the irony that the S has more battery power than any car in the world, but I can't use it to get the Buick started.

I know the Tesla has a 12V battery, but I don't think it's a high current system. I believe it's only used for keeping the electronics running.

I got there in the end anyway.

I highly recommend portable jump starters such as this one, https://www.amazon.com/GOOLOO-Portable-Starter-GP37-Battery/dp/B017LIE842. Lithium Ion and not lead acid. I know it looks too small and light to do a good job but they really work. I have one for both of my cars although I'm not certain the refreshed S has good access to the 12V battery anymore. I haven't had a jumper cable in 5-6 years.

Reactions: googlepeakoil
Interesting, but I'll probably pass. This is the first time I've needed to jump start a car in years and I already have the cables.

Good to know that sort of thing is out there if I ever do feel the need to have jump start capability.