Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Only 12A on NEMA 10-30 outlet

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm surprised to hear that... so continuously plugging in and unplugging my Tesla mobile connector on this brand-new NEMA 10-30 outlet, when I'm over at my parents' place, will damage the outlet after a couple dozen times of doing so?
True. The 240V, 30 amp receptacles such as the 10-30, 14-30 are designed for use with electric clothes dryers. The clothes dryer is home appliance that is rarely unplugged once installed unless service is required, moving or replacement.

I'm surprised to hear that... so continuously plugging in and unplugging my Tesla mobile connector on this brand-new NEMA 10-30 outlet, when I'm over at my parents' place, will damage the outlet after a couple dozen times of doing so?
“A couple dozen times” might be a slight exaggeration but yes, a typical 10-30 outlet is not designed to be regularly plugged and unplugged. Most people change out their clothes dryers every decade or so.

Reactions: Rocky_H
Hi there,

I received a Tesla mobile connector with my Model Y and purchased the NEMA 10-30 adapter to plug into the dryer outlet at my parents' house when I'm there, often taking care of my mom. I'm not an electric engineering expert, but was expecting just below 30A from a NEMA 10-30 outlet - but as you can see from this screenshot, the most I'm getting is 12A - meaning that instead of the 5 or 6 kW of power I'm only getting about 2 or 3.

Any ideas as to what could be happening here? Could this be an issue with the mobile connector, or with the circuits at my parents' house? For context, the weather's been in the 50s (Fahrenheit) so not exceedingly cold.

I'd appreciate your ideas/inputs and apologize if I'm missing something fairly basic here. Happy new year to you all!
Why not purchase a Gen 3 HPWC at your parents house assuming their current breaker box can support a 48 amp charging rate?

Sounds like the dryer is being used regularly so a separate circuit for a charger is needed.

Or invest in a $100 commercial grade receptacle that was designed to be used at an RV park or similar regular plug/unplug use. Twist lock or pin and sleeve plugs/receptacles are designed for safe and secure plugging/unplugging at higher amperages and voltages. But at a significantly higher cost.

Or, get a dryer buddy and a plug in EVSE that you leave plugged in.

Reactions: Rocky_H
Consider leaving a Tesla Mobile Connector permanently plugged in at your parent's home. If adding a new charging circuit is not something you want to do then consider a smart switch that would enable you to share the dryer outlet.

Consider leaving a Tesla Mobile Connector permanently plugged in at your parent's home. If adding a new charging circuit is not something you want to do then consider a smart switch that would enable you to share the dryer outlet.
This will only work if his parents don’t use the dryer.

It’s a dryer/range outlet. You don’t unplug those items.

The solution depends what you want to spend. You can not spend $250 for a second mobile connector and not spend $350 on a dryer buddy and hope your plug lasts and replacement(s) and electrician fees don’t add up to more than $600 over the years and you have to deal with constant unplugging the dryer and plugging in the mobile connector and vice versa every time you get there. Or you spend the $600 and you only have to plug in your car.

This will only work if his parents don’t use the dryer.
That's where a Y cable or Dryer Buddy would help. I could see a scenario where he has a wall connector at home, and leaves a mobile connector at his parent's house. If he goes on a long trip where he thinks he might need the MC, then he can unplug it and toss it in his frunk.

For this kind of occasional use, I think simply telling his parents not to use the dryer while he's charging would be sufficient.

Reactions: dafish
That's where a Y cable or Dryer Buddy would help. I could see a scenario where he has a wall connector at home, and leaves a mobile connector at his parent's house. If he goes on a long trip where he thinks he might need the MC, then he can unplug it and toss it in his frunk.

For this kind of occasional use, I think simply telling his parents not to use the dryer while he's charging would be sufficient.
Yes, the cost of replacement would be the Y cable and not the outlet. If you are really concerned about the outlet, you could get the shortest possible 10-30 extension cord and just unplug from that to save wear on the outlet.

Yes, the cost of replacement would be the Y cable and not the outlet. If you are really concerned about the outlet, you could get the shortest possible 10-30 extension cord and just unplug from that to save wear on the outlet.
Then you'd just be wearing out the more expensive Y cable or extension cord. Not really an improvement. If you're going to plug and unplug all the time, best to just plan on replacing the outlet when when/if it wears out, especially if you can do the replacment yourself.

Edit: I guess the Y-adapter DOES cut the number number of plug/unplug cycles in half (you only unplug the MC, not the dryer).

Last edited:
Then you'd just be wearing out the more expensive Y cable or extension cord. Not really an improvement. If you're going to plug and unplug all the time, best to just plan on replacing the outlet when when/if it wears out, especially if you can do the replacment yourself.

Edit: I guess the Y-adapter DOES cut the number number of plug/unplug cycles in half (you only unplug the MC, not the dryer).
And cost for having an electrician come out to swap the outlet is a lot more than the Y cable. Depends on if you are a DIY electrician or not. And with extension cords/splitters, I’d think they would be designed to be more durable since they aren’t permanent.