Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ontario Climate Change Action Plan Revealed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You guys do realize that oil products do more than produce gas/oil for ICE engines? I HUGE portion of materials used in everyday life are a by products of what we extract from the ground...
Most oil is burned for transportation and emits CO2 and other pollutants.
My plastic Tupperware containers don't emit any CO2.
I'm happy to give up Tupperware (and all the other plastic stuff in my life).

On a side note - I like how Ontario is spending all this money they don't have....

Equalization payments from your big brother Alberta have stopped now, what to do, what to do. Might as well add a loan to our ever growing debt to make sure we become a "Green Leader".

No. The Ontario government can help offset some of the cost of the "carrots" by implementation of the contra action...sticks...time to start applying a minimum $250 fee to new ICE vehicle sales (once the Model 3 & the Bolt become available).

Norway is doing it right!

Please note that I am not defending our Provincial Government's (all too frequent) past spending boondoggles...I am just in favour of a proper carrot & stick approach to incentivizing EVs / dis-incentivizing ICE vehicles.

I am a bit leery about these incentives. It is just shuffling tax money. Once there is a critical mass of electric vehicles on the road, suddenly the Government will realize all the gasoline taxes they are loosing and they will shift that tax loss to the cost of electricity or annual re-registration.

The Environmental plan sounds good on paper. Though they are going to raise gas tax by 4.3c per L and natural gas by $5 per month per home. Reminded me of the Eco fee. Can call me skeptical but seems like another way to raise taxes....

The Environmental plan sounds good on paper. Though they are going to raise gas tax by 4.3c per L and natural gas by $5 per month per home. Reminded me of the Eco fee. Can call me skeptical but seems like another way to raise taxes....
They are raising taxes.
They are using the money to subsidize electric vehicles and taxing fossil fuels. That's called good public policy. Fossil fuels should be taxed as much as possible since they are destroying our environment. Stop burning fossil fuels.

I am a bit leery about these incentives. It is just shuffling tax money. Once there is a critical mass of electric vehicles on the road, suddenly the Government will realize all the gasoline taxes they are loosing and they will shift that tax loss to the cost of electricity or annual re-registration.
Yeah there was something in the news recently.........lol apparently we did too good of a job conserving hydro?

They are raising taxes.
They are using the money to subsidize electric vehicles and taxing fossil fuels. That's called good public policy. Fossil fuels should be taxed as much as possible since they are destroying our environment. Stop burning fossil fuels.

I am more concerned about the way do it. For eg, eco fee that didn't really go into recycling efforts. Where did the tire fees go, remember? They all turned into slush fund for someone blowing the money out.

You need to have it registered, plated & insured in Ontario for at least 1 year.

Anyone that have already received other incentives from other provinces cannot claims it.

You would also have to be extremely careful not to make a material misrepresentation with respect to your Ontario auto insurance application...remember that auto insurance is a contract of utmost good faith...the questions asked would easily expose an out of province applicant.

Reactions: Kenypowa
They are raising taxes.

True, but it appears that there may not be enough "stick" in this carrot and stick plan to cover off all of the carrots...I'd have also like to have seen a flat environmental tax started on the worst performing ICE vehicles (performance ICE vehicles) and on "non necessary" pick up trucks.

That's what really scares me. And the provincial Liberals have proven that they are not to be trusted when it comes to taxes and spending.
I actually don't like the plan, but as a future Model 3 owner, I'll take the money. God knows I've paid so much into their mismanagement it would be nice to get some of the money back in my pocket.

HIGHLIGHTS FROM https://www.ontario.ca/page/climate-change-action-plan

[...]

2.3 Free overnight electric vehicle charging
The province intends to establish a four-year free overnight electric vehicle-charging program for residential and multi-unit residential customers starting in 2017. Charging electric cars at night can help balance electricity system demands and potentially reduce costs associated with exporting excess electricity overnight. Ontario intends to work with utilities to transition this program to an optional enhanced time-of-day charging program. The goal would be to lower overall electricity bills for homes that charge vehicles.

Has there been any update on how this is going to work? We are only a few weeks away from 2017 ;-)

Gérard

• Funny
Reactions: mrElbe and Falkirk