Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ontario EV Charging Incentive Program

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am hoping to purchase a Tesla HPWC in preparation for my Model X, but am unsure if I need to have the X first in order to be eligible? The web page for the incentives refers to applicants that have purchased an EV. Do they ask for EV proof of purchase as part of the application?

The web page also says that the charger needs to be purchased from a Canadian source. I assume that I cannot buy off of the Tesla Canada web site? Has anyone on the Canada forum bought an HPWC and received the rebate? Would buying from Tesla Montreal or Toronto meet the "Canadian distributor" requirement?

They would base you getting the charger rebate on you getting the car rebate, so, yes, it seems you need the car for it. I don't know if there is a separate one for businesses that would be installing the chargers, as they're clearly not going to have cars for each of them.
Getting it from Tesla, as a part of the car purchase, worked for me. I was worried a bit about it, because it was clearly shipped from California, rather than gotten from the local dealer, but there were no issues with it. Back then, not sure if it's still the case, getting the HPWC with the car meant you'd get four year warranty on it, where getting it separately only gave you a one year warranty, so I preferred to have it be on the car order...

I don't know if there is a separate one for businesses that would be installing the chargers, as they're clearly not going to have cars for each of them.

It's the same. When we got our company Volt, we got the rebate for the car and then were eligible for the EVSE rebate. When I installed two more EVSE in our public parking area, we received no further rebates because we only had the one EV in the company name.

Thanks for the replies. The HPWC was supposed to be my Christmas present, but with the requirement to have purchased the X beforehand, I guess it will be at least 6 months before I can even consider it. Hopefully it won't be something I will be considering next Christmas!

I sent in my EV rebate form and my charging rebate form on the same day in late December 2013 and I got the rebates on the same day, about 6 weeks later. They won't grant you a charging system rebate until they have granted you an EV rebate, but I don't know if you have to buy the car first. You might be able to buy the HPWC now and then send in both rebate forms when you get the car. I'd suggest calling Service Ontario to ask.

Back then, the HPWC was part of the car order, but I've heard of others since then getting their HPWC from a Canadian service centre and getting the rebate.

I believe "first" was "do I have to purchase the car before I purchase the HPWC", rather than "do I have to purchase the care before sending in the rebate papers". There is a time limit, you have to apply for the rebate within a certain period from buying it. And you have to pick up the car before you can get the rebate for the car. So, you can buy the HPWC before you buy the car, as long as you are sure you will have the car delivered within the rebate window (3 months?)

Not sure how you'd get the EV rebate ahead of purchasing the car. I can see submitting at the same time (as you did) but doubt there is a way to get the EVSE rebate before you buy the car.
Sorry, I wasn't very clear. Yes, you have to get the car rebate before (or at the same time as) the EVSE rebate; I'm just not sure if the car purchase has to come before the EVSE purchase.

Sorry, I wasn't very clear. Yes, you have to get the car rebate before (or at the same time as) the EVSE rebate; I'm just not sure if the car purchase has to come before the EVSE purchase.

Since the car rebate is associated with the deliver date of the car (unless I'm missing something), I think you would indeed have to have the car first if only to receive the car rebate first. Not sure if you can buy a HPWC from Tesla before the car, and keep it in the box until you get the car, then have your electrician install it later and apply for the rebate later. The rebate is also tied to the Electrical Safety Authority Permit/Inspection process, so that would probably have to be dated after the date of the car rebate to qualify.

I purchased my HPWC about 3 weeks before I took delivery of my car so that I could get it installed ahead of time. So both the install and unit purchase were before the delivery date of my EV, and I submitted both rebates on the same day, and received the rebate for both about 6 weeks later with no issue.

New Ontario EV Incentive Rules??!!

Trolling forums and websites I found this disturbing news that the NEW rebate for Tesla is $3000 instead of $8500? (A non-significant difference of $5500 in cost for the vehicle) and takes effect February 10th, 2016 - I placed my order for a 70D on November 27th, 2015 (ironically, also the day of the price increase for Tesla! Pressed send before it took effect the next day - whew!) - However, I want to make sure that I'm still getting the $8500 towards the price of the car (otherwise, in all likelihood, I would NOT have seriously considered it as it is quite expensive already even before all the options....)...anyone else in the same boat and want to get this resolved with the Ontario Liberal Government ASAP?

Trolling forums and websites I found this disturbing news that the NEW rebate for Tesla is $3000 instead of $8500? (A non-significant difference of $5500 in cost for the vehicle) and takes effect February 10th, 2016 - I placed my order for a 70D on November 27th, 2015 (ironically, also the day of the price increase for Tesla! Pressed send before it took effect the next day - whew!) - However, I want to make sure that I'm still getting the $8500 towards the price of the car (otherwise, in all likelihood, I would NOT have seriously considered it as it is quite expensive already even before all the options....)...anyone else in the same boat and want to get this resolved with the Ontario Liberal Government ASAP?
See question 6 here: Modernized EVIP - Frequently Asked Questions. You should be able to get the $8500 rebate.

There's an active thread about the new EV incentive program here: Ontario EV incentives upped to $14K... and decreased to $3k for Tesla.

And welcome to the forum!