Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Has anyone installed Gen 3 Wall Connector in Ontario (Canada)?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Moving to a new house, and need a new way to charge my Model 3 (2022). I asked an electrician in Burlington, Ontario about installing a Tesla Wall Connector and he said that it was not possible with Generation 3. He said, it had been possible with Generation 2. Just wondering if anyone in the GTA has faced the same issue.

My other options would be a universal charger like Grizzle,(through IVY Eco Home Charge $1000. rebate program) or using the Tesla connector by adding a dryer type socket in the garage.
Full disclosure- I really don't know anything about this stuff!

I asked an electrician in Burlington, Ontario about installing a Tesla Wall Connector and he said that it was not possible with Generation 3. He said, it had been possible with Generation 2.

Im not in Canada, but this answer from your electrician makes no sense. "not possible to install" a generation 3 wall connector, but "possible" to install a generation 2 wall connector in the same place isnt a thing I have heard of, in any country in the world.

Its definitely possible that a home would not have enough electrical capacity, but then that would be for either one of those products.

You probably need to look for a different electrician.

Moving to a new house, and need a new way to charge my Model 3 (2022). I asked an electrician in Burlington, Ontario about installing a Tesla Wall Connector and he said that it was not possible with Generation 3. He said, it had been possible with Generation 2. Just wondering if anyone in the GTA has faced the same issue.

My other options would be a universal charger like Grizzle,(through IVY Eco Home Charge $1000. rebate program) or using the Tesla connector by adding a dryer type socket in the garage.
Full disclosure- I really don't know anything about this stuff!
Something got lost in the translation. This doesn’t make sense. Maybe give us more information about your new house, things that you told the electrician?

Im not in Canada, but this answer from your electrician makes no sense. "not possible to install" a generation 3 wall connector, but "possible" to install a generation 2 wall connector in the same place isnt a thing I have heard of, in any country in the world.

Its definitely possible that a home would not have enough electrical capacity, but then that would be for either one of those products.

You probably need to look for a different electrician.
I found an electrician, on the Tesla recommended list, and used by two members of this forum who will install the Gen 3 Tesla wall connector for me. He said that ESA in Ontario has recently approved this (and even two months ago it was not possible). The electrician will set the wall connector to 32 AMP which I understand is fine for my Model 3 and works with my 100 AMP panel. The work is guaranteed for life as long as it is NOT TAMPERED WITH. So I am happy!

"not possible to install" a generation 3 wall connector, but "possible" to install a generation 2 wall connector in the same place isnt a thing I have heard of
He said that ESA in Ontario has recently approved this (and even two months ago it was not possible).
Just to clarify: Some Canadian inspectors interpreted the Canadian Electrical Code in a way that didn't allow the gen. 3 connector because the current limit isn't set via a physical change (switches, jumpers, etc. instead of a software/non-volatile memory setting), whereas the current limit on the gen. 2 is set physically with switches.

I was worried about this (along with other reasons), so I chose to install a NEMA 14-50 outlet and use the Mobile Connector. I forgot to ask the inspector if he would have allowed a properly provisioned gen. 3 wall connector.

Last edited:
Just to clarify: Some Canadian inspectors interpreted the Canadian Electrical Code in a way that didn't allow the gen. 3 connector because the current limit isn't set via a physical change (switches, jumpers, etc. instead of a software/non-volatile memory setting), whereas the current limit on the gen. 2 is set physically with switches.

I was worried about this (along with other reasons), so I chose to install a NEMA 14-50 outlet and use the Mobile Connector. I forgot to ask the inspector if he would have allowed a properly provisioned gen. 3 wall connector.
Exactly! Any regrets with the Mobile Connector? I'm still on the fence between the mobile and the wall, especially since the mobile connector came with my Model 3 RWD last year. It would therefore be less expensive because only the outlet would need to be installed. Nonetheless, I am happy to have found an electrician who has given me the option to do either.

Yeah it’s not that ESA would not allow the install of Gen 3’s they specifically did not allow load sharing. There are hundreds if not thousands of Gen 3 wall connectors installed throughout Ontario without issue. The ESA has/had prehistoric rules that interfered with Gen 3 load sharing since it’s setup via software, whereas with Gen1/2 it was configured using dip switches under the faceplate.

Reactions: Smytty and 03DSG
Any regrets with the Mobile Connector?
No regrets. I'm happy with it. I did the full installation myself (as the home owner) and had it inspected and approved by an Ontario Electrical Safety Authority inspector.

A benefit is that the outlet is available for other uses for things that require 240V, such as electric welders.

Drawbacks are that the Mobile Connector is limited to 32A maximum whereas the Wall Connector can do 48A, and the Mobile Connector only has a 6 metre cable whereas the Wall connector gives an extra 1.3 meters at 7.3 meters long. Neither of these was a problem for me. Like you, I got a mobile connector with the car but I bought a second one for a more or less permanent installation and keep the other in the car.

I installed a GFCI breaker but was surprised that the inspector said it wasn't required because the outlet was inside my garage, not outside. He suggested that I could save some money by using a regular breaker and returning or selling the expensive GFCI one. I decided to keep the GFCI just for the additional safety, especially if the outlet is used with things other than the Mobile Connector, and also because I'm wary that it may indeed be required.

Last edited:
Yeah it’s not that ESA would not allow the install of Gen 3’s they specifically did not allow load sharing.
No, it's not just a load sharing issue. It's the fact that even with only one Wall Connector, its maximum current setting can be changed remotely through software instead of having to open the unit and change it physically. Something in the electrical code implies that this is not allowed.

According to what @Macchina has previously posted, as told by an electrician, this may no longer be the case.

Hunh. One of the reasons I ended up using the existing drier circuit (24A cont) in our 100A panel is that adding another (especially 32A) circuit could potentially overload the panel. And I didn't want to upgrade our electrical service to 200A.

This likely varies by dwelling and is based on load calculations. Perhaps you have central-air and an electric stove, but the OP has a gas stove and ceiling fans.

• Informative
Reactions: brulaz
I'm still on the fence between the mobile and the wall, especially since the mobile connector came with my Model 3 RWD last year.

While a 14-50 and mobile connector can do the job, a hardwired wall connector is objectively better. If it's in the budget, get the wall connector... you won't regret it.
  • Less points of failure (lower quality receptacles catch fire when used for high amperage continuous loads like an EV)
  • Actually costs the same when factoring a high quality receptacle plus GFCI breaker (although it sounds like Ontario doesn't require the GFCI and you already have the mobile connector).
  • More future proof (the wall connector can put out 48A while the mobile is limited to 32A)... although your current vehicle is limited to 32A.
  • Adds value to your home... all of North American EVs will use the NACS connector in the near future, so a hardwired charger is good to have.
  • You're going to pay for the installation either way... since that cost is fixed, it'll be a better value to end up with a wall connector instead of just a 14-50.
  • You can keep the mobile connector in your trunk for emergencies.

No, it's not just a load sharing issue. It's the fact that even with only one Wall Connector, its maximum current setting can be changed remotely through software instead of having to open the unit and change it physically. Something in the electrical code implies that this is not allowed.

According to what @Macchina has previously posted, as told by an electrician, this may no longer be the case.
Your electrician has given you incorrect information. Like I said, there are hundreds/thousands of certified Gen 3 installs done already. If what your electrician told you was true then none of those installs could have happened.

Reactions: mrElbe and 03DSG
Get the G3 WC. It is truly the best and the smartest. Chances are your electrician is not savvy in a software setup, but it is honestly PHD (Press Here Dummy), simple. Also Tesla has a support team specifically to walk you through the setup. I live in an apartment building and had mine installed in my designated parking spot - LOVE IT. We have three M3's in the building now and they are using the public (paid) Flo chargers in the garage so I'm feeling quite lucky.

Depending on the size of circuit you give it, you may have nothing to do, it you go with a 60 amp breaker. Just plug n' play versus "plug n' prey". Best of luck.

Reactions: KevinT3141
Like I said, there are hundreds/thousands of certified Gen 3 installs done already. If what your electrician told you was true then none of those installs could have happened.
And as I said:
Some Canadian inspectors interpreted the Canadian Electrical Code in a way that didn't allow the gen. 3 connector
Note the words Some and interpreted.

Referring to Ontario Electrical Safety Code bulletin 86.1.5 regarding electrical vehicle charging systems:

Section 4 discusses an adjustable EVSE, like the Tesla Wall Connector:

Question 1
Is it permitted to base the rating of EVSE on the adjustable field settings, which may
include software, commissioning apps, dip switches, rotary dials, etc, that are part of the
equipment, for the purposes of maximum circuit loading? (Rules 86-302, 86-304, and
86-306)
Answer 1
Yes, adjustable amperage settings which include commissioning apps, software, dip
switches, rotary dials, etc, are permitted on fixed-in-place* equipment only, provided the
manufacturer’s instructions are followed, and the following conditions are met;
  • A permanent legible marking (see Diagram B3) in accordance to Rule 2-100 is
    posted on or adjacent to the EVSE when set below the nameplate maximum
    rating with the minimum information shown in the example, and
  • Access to the adjusting means is restricted.
Restricted access shall prevent the user from gaining access to the adjusting means
and shall be accomplished by at least one of the following:
  • A cover or door that requires the use of a tool to access the adjustments,
  • Unique password protected commissioning apps,
  • Software that has a unique password for that site to the adjusting means, or
  • The manufacturer can prove restricted access
Note the part that reads:
Restricted access shall prevent the user from gaining access to the adjusting means

An inspector could reason that if the user bought the Wall Connector and provided it to the installer, the user would have access to the password (provided with the unit) and be able to gain access to the adjusting means, which might be interpreted as not permitted. On the other hand, if the installer bought the Wall Connector on the customer's behalf, and installed and provisioned it but did not provide the customer with the password, it could be interpreted as permitted.

Last edited:
Reactions: Macchina
A user could also change the dip switches in a different EVSE to increase the amperage.
Sure; and also with the Tesla Gen. 2 Wall Connector. However, the OESC bulletin I referred to states that
A cover or door that requires the use of a tool to access the adjustments
is considered to be restricting user access, thus is acceptable.

Some people just like the feeling of being on fire.
And the ESA likes to try to prevent people from having that feeling.

• Informative
Reactions: father_of_6
I bypassed that whole ESA headache by adding a 14-50, 50a rated plug to my Gen 3 WC, and plugging it into an electrician-installed 50a circuit. Then it’s just a matter of plugging in the WC, programming it, and away you go. Just like a toaster, or dryer, or stove…

Bonus:
IMG_1420.jpeg
when I move, I unplug the WC, and the house is still EV-ready.

Reactions: Macchina