Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Has anyone installed Gen 3 Wall Connector in Ontario (Canada)?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I bypassed that whole ESA headache by adding a 14-50, 50a rated plug to my Gen 3 WC, and plugging it into an electrician-installed 50a circuit. Then it’s just a matter of plugging in the WC, programming it, and away you go. Just like a toaster, or dryer, or stove…

Bonus:View attachment 991866 when I move, I unplug the WC, and the house is still EV-ready.
Hilarious that your solution to picky Canadian rules is to violate another rule. Whatevs, it'll work.

I bypassed that whole ESA headache by adding a 14-50, 50a rated plug to my Gen 3 WC, and plugging it into an electrician-installed 50a circuit. Then it’s just a matter of plugging in the WC, programming it, and away you go. Just like a toaster, or dryer, or stove…

Bonus: when I move, I unplug the WC, and the house is still EV-ready.

Yeesh...not compliant for several reasons.

You can also take the WC with you if it is hardwired, and house will still be EV ready.

And as I said:

Note the words Some and interpreted.

Referring to Ontario Electrical Safety Code bulletin 86.1.5 regarding electrical vehicle charging systems:

Section 4 discusses an adjustable EVSE, like the Tesla Wall Connector:

Note the part that reads:
Restricted access shall prevent the user from gaining access to the adjusting means

An inspector could reason that if the user bought the Wall Connector and provided it to the installer, the user would have access to the password (provided with the unit) and be able to gain access to the adjusting means, which might be interpreted as not permitted. On the other hand, if the installer bought the Wall Connector on the customer's behalf, and installed and provisioned it but did not provide the customer with the password, it could be interpreted as permitted.
Again, however your installer/inspector ’interpreted’ it is incorrect. They made a bad call based on not understanding what they were reading. Since the ESA has been certifying Gen 3 installs for years now, there is very clear precedence that anyone who interpreted the same way as your installer/inspector did was wrong.

This is just misinformation at this point. There is nothing stopping Gen 3 WCs from being installed/certified no matter which party bought the unit. An ESA inspector saying this can’t be certified while the ESA has been certifying installs already is just someone who didn’t bother to check into what they ‘think’ they know.