Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ontario Insurance. BelairDirect?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So any experience with BelairDirect in Ontario?
Have had Intact Insurance for the last two years ($1200/yr for a 2021 m3lr) but this year they've boosted that to over $1800.
Belair has just quoted me $1200.
My son has used BelairDirect in the past but made no claims so don't really know if they're good or bad.

Great question! I do an annual CBA (Cost Benefit Analysis) with my insurance products. Being an absolute OCD tech nerd, even at my advanced age of 71, I still do this because the rates will skyrocket for no reason. We say our rates with Northbridge, jump by close to 40% without ever having filed a claim. I did some shopping around and found CAA to have the best of them all. They also seem to insure A LOT of Tesla's. So when I brought this up with my broker, the rep replied that they could provide me a policy from them. What pi$$ed m e off about my broker, what how they never even mentioned it and continued to defend Northbridge on the basis that "rates can change". Such BS!

I escalated up my rep as they were clearing interested in supporting their commission over their client. I currently pay $1,009/yr for the Tesla with a ton of "riders" for "accident forgiveness", $2M liability, etc...

I was with Belair since I first got my license. Rates have been creeping up the past couple of years. Not sure if related to 2 x non-at fault claims (rear ended) in 2014 and 2016.

Belair's pricing was really high on the Tesla for me. Don't know why other than the above. Decided to shop around and ended up switching insurers to one affiliated with my wife's employer (Johnson) because I got our insurance package (house + 2 cars) with the model y at a cheaper overall rate than Belair was with my previous car (2018 Mazda 6, which itself was cheaper than the Model Y with Belair. To the point where I almost didn't buy it).

I've learned 2 things. Loyalty means nothing to insurers. And 2, don't blindly renew year after year.

***Edit: Icing on the cake was that the new insurer provided better coverage at the lower rate. House value has gone up vs existing with Belair and we upped from $1M to $2M liability on the auto with waiver of depreciation applied to the Tesla. Shop around folks!

Reactions: akim6923 and brulaz
So any experience with BelairDirect in Ontario?
Have had Intact Insurance for the last two years ($1200/yr for a 2021 m3lr) but this year they've boosted that to over $1800.
Belair has just quoted me $1200.
My son has used BelairDirect in the past but made no claims so don't really know if they're good or bad.
Just FYI, belairdirect is owned by Intact Insurance.

If you're a member of a professional association, university alumuni, etc, TD Meloche Monnex has discounted rates. I just recently shopped around for house and auto insurance and moved to TD from Co-operators. I inquired at CAA and they had decent auto rates but was much more expensive for house.

If you are interested in renting your car out on Turo, here's a list of insurers that support this:

BelairDirect is on the list. I'm with TD and am considering switching. Unfortunately CAA is not on the list.

If you're a member of a professional association, university alumuni, etc, TD Meloche Monnex has discounted rates. I just recently shopped around for house and auto insurance and moved to TD from Co-operators. I inquired at CAA and they had decent auto rates but was much more expensive for house.
Thanks, I'll look into TD Meloche Monnex as well. I've got local Caa and Coop agents preparing quotes now. Belair refused to insure our house/cottage cause of an oil furnace (despite the above ground fibreglas tank), but their auto rates looked good.

If you are interested in renting your car out on Turo, here's a list of insurers that support this:

BelairDirect is on the list. I'm with TD and am considering switching. Unfortunately CAA is not on the list.
Thanks but not interested. Our son tried renting his car when working in Denmark. Too much trouble. All you need is one or two aholes to make the whole experience miserable.

Online TD Meloche Monnex lists a bunch engineering and geoscience associations whose members are eligible for their insurance. We're highly (over?) Educated but not in those areas. Thanks anyway!

So, turns out the BelairDirect quote included a 15% discount for also insuring your home. Without that, CAA was cheaper for the Tesla alone.

Also I substantially overestimated the Tesla part of our Intact Insurance (home+autos), and it included several significant options the others didn't. Still higher than CAA though ... I think. As was CO-OP.

Anyway, if I were ONLY looking for Tesla Insurance I would choose CAA.

Home+Auto is trickier, especially for our old place with an oil backup furnace. Belair flat out refused to insure it; CO-OP was 50% more than Intact for the home and pretty poor for the cars as well. The CAA auto broker offered a reasonable quote from a different insurance company for the home, but there were so many caveats ("ifs, ands" and "buts") that we declined.

In short, we're staying with Intact for everything. Splitting off the cars to CAA and leaving the home with Intact was an option that might have saved a small amount, but ... ugh. I was getting overwhelmed by the fine print and all the options, so decided to just let it go.

My wife is a home/Auto broker and she tells me CAA and Pembrige rates for Teslas in the GTA are very competitive. However CAA will not insure your Tesla if you bought FSD. Go figure
apparently CAA does not ask FSD question if picking Tesla, and their insurance could be purchased online. How can CAA refuse o insure the Tesla with FSD?

Attachments

• 截屏2023-08-11 下午8.49.53.png
    截屏2023-08-11 下午8.49.53.png
    192.5 KB · Views: 100
She called underwriting about an issue and they mentioned that they don't insure FSD. She had to switch out the client to a different company last minute.
I guess it's their choice. But i can tell u for sure if u call them they will not insure FSD
Not insure FSD or Not insure the Tesla at all if purchased FSD. These are totally different thing. Your 1st comments in this thread, makes confused..

Reactions: richyrich
This is what they do.
In my opinion, what happens if I insure a Tesla (without FSD) and then buy FSD later?
Should it come to my mind that since the value of my car has gone up, I must inform the insurance company (Like installing expensive rims or a stereo system)? Well some owners may and some won't.
Then what happens when I get into an accident? Well it will boil down to fine print and the type of lawyer i have.