Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ontario to Burns

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone made this drive yet in very cold weather? We plan to drive this on 1/2 and looks like the weather will be very cold (~20F) and we will have a car load + 2000ft of elevation gain. LR MY. Best alternative is adding many hours to our drive from Boise to Bend.

Has anyone made this drive yet in very cold weather? We plan to drive this on 1/2 and looks like the weather will be very cold (~20F) and we will have a car load + 2000ft of elevation gain. LR MY. Best alternative is adding many hours to our drive from Boise to Bend.
It's 132 miles. You'll be fine in any long range car. To be absolutely safe in poor weather, I would charge to double the rated miles + 1 rated mile for every 100 ft of elevation gain. So 132*2 + 2000/100 = 284 rated miles.

That's just a rule of thumb but should do the trick as long as there aren't hurricane force winds or over a foot of slush on the road (and as long as you aren't towing or using a bike rack or whatever).

Additionally you can try driving conservatively to start the leg, i.e. speed limit or even 5mph under. After 25-50 miles you should get a feel for your energy consumption and hopefully realize that you are going to make it easily and can therefore speed up to a more traditional 5mph over the speed limit.

It's 132 miles. You'll be fine in any long range car. To be absolutely safe in poor weather, I would charge to double the rated miles + 1 rated mile for every 100 ft of elevation gain. So 132*2 + 2000/100 = 284 rated miles.

That's just a rule of thumb but should do the trick as long as there aren't hurricane force winds or over a foot of slush on the road (and as long as you aren't towing or using a bike rack or whatever).

Additionally you can try driving conservatively to start the leg, i.e. speed limit or even 5mph under. After 25-50 miles you should get a feel for your energy consumption and hopefully realize that you are going to make it easily and can therefore speed up to a more traditional 5mph over the speed limit.
Thanks. We do have a bike rack and I’ll check the wind forecast. Any write ups / tips on what to do if you are en route and realize you are screwed and not going to make it?

Thanks. We do have a bike rack and I’ll check the wind forecast. Any write ups / tips on what to do if you are en route and realize you are screwed and not going to make it?

Start by going slow, evaluating energy consumption and speed up if you have extra energy as you get closer to your destination.

If you realize you’re screwed mid-route, slow down dramatically and evaluate your options. Turn around, charge and try again? Find an alternate charging station? www.PlugShare.com is great for that.

It depends on bike rack style and number of bikes, speeds, winds, temperature, etc, but I’ve seen -30% range at highway speeds with the model S. 130 miles should be relatively easy, even under those conditions. I’ve done 110+ miles in my 235 mi 70D at -5F (but started from an unheated garage). Forecast is for a slight easterly wind, so that’s a positive. Start slow, 5-10 mph under speed limit, you can always speed up later. Once the miles are driven, you can never get them back, so always a good idea to be conservative starting out. Charge to 95-100% in Ontario and then leave immediately while the battery is still warm. Don’t allow the car to cold soak overnight, charge immediately when arriving since this is when the battery is the warmest and will charge the fastest. Don’t worry about leaving the batteries at 100% when cold, degradation essentially stops at low temperatures.

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H
We do have a bike rack
Well the bike rack is a huge wildcard and none of us can help you with that (unless there's someone here with the exact same bike rack with the exact same bikes mounted the exact same way). If possible, you should try to get a feel for the energy usage with the bikes and bike rack on a previous leg of your trip. That way you will have a better idea what to expect once you get to the difficult leg.

This shouldn't be much trouble. A couple of points on it.

Don't just leave Ontario when the car says ready to depart. It's going on the more normal default conditions, not knowing about the cold and bike rack. Charge to at least 90% as @ReddyLeaf mentioned.

The bike rack is extra drag, but what people are reporting about the huge losses were real highway speed situations. You won't be going 75-80 mph on highway 20. It will be more like 60-65 mph, so a lot less drag.

(Side note: It is blowing my everloving mind that people are still questioning this route, even now that Ontario AND Burns have Superchargers. It's only 7 miles longer than Boise to Twin Falls, which people wouldn't even bat an eye at. This shouldn't even be a question anymore. Boise to Winnemucca is a problem, but not Ontario to Burns.)

Thanks all for the guidance on this.

Here’s the verdict. Temp ranged from 9-14 degrees in the trip and very little wind (<5mph). Charged to 99% in Ontario and on departure the estimate was arrival in Burns at 24%. I drove 5 under the speed limit until I reached Vale and the estimate had adjusted to 35% on arrival which was great to see so I bumped it up to match the speed limit (65) until I hit the first climb outside of Vale and the range estimate dropped to 22% as I was going uphill. I backed it off and went 5 under for about 15 miles and I was back at 35% estimate. I stayed 5 under for the remainder of the drive to Burns. I did that to see exactly how much I could conserve by staying under the limit, not because I was worried about range. I arrived in Burns with 37% battery left. I charged to 80% in Burns and drove 75-80 the entire way home to Bend, arriving with 12% left. Great trip, and appreciate everyone’s advice!