Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Opel Ampera

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Production Opel Ampera | Spy Shots | Auto Express

car_photo_373414_7.jpg

Power for the Ampera comes from GM's Voltec system which uses a 111 kW electric drive unit mated to a 16-kWh lithium-ion battery. This allows the car to travel up to 37mph on electricity alone before a small petrol powered engine kicks in to recharge the battery.

eh? I think they mean miles.

Last edited:
Hot Ampera on way - Spy-shots reveal hotter hybrid already being tested | Auto Express

Sparks are flying at Vauxhall, and this is the reason why. Our sources tell us that the Ampera in these pictures is running on a new, higher-powered version of the company’s innovative plug-in hybrid drivetrain.

This comprises a bigger, more powerful battery and a larger petrol engine, and will feature in the flagship model when the range launches in 2012. The car – seen here in Opel guise – will get a subtle sports makeover to stand out from the standard Ampera.

GM still trotting out the line that this is an electric car...

Electric Vauxhall’s UK marathon

THE Ampera will soon be charging across the UK! In what’s being billed as a record-breaking journey, Vauxhall’s new electric family model has embarked on a 170-mile trip, in what the firm claims is the longest jaunt ever undertaken by an electric car on British roads.

I don't think so.

It annoys the halibut out of me!

Only one forum that I saw (Crave) trotted out the Vauxhall PR line with ever so slightly raised eyebrows. They questioned how it could be an EV for 170 miles when it has a 30-40 mile all electric range. This therefore made them almost infinitely better than most of the media who just regurgitated the Ampera "record breaking" pap without a single fact check; particular shame on our publicly funded broadcaster the BBC.

So this is what I posted "on the day" on Crave (would have posted it on the other sites, but as David points out by then they had blocked comments):

This "record" claim is unbelievably lame. Tesla Roadsters are driven frequently by their owners 100% electrically for distances as long or longer than this. How do I know - I own one! Just today I drove 134 miles at fast motorway speeds without any fuss. I had range left to do at least another 40 miles, So over 170 miles. Should I get back in the car, do the extra 40, and then issue a press release claiming a "record"?

Other examples:

My friend David borrowed a Tesla in London one evening at 5pm and drove it down to Lands End by 9am next day with an overnight stop at Taunton (see teslamotorsclub.com thread "A Very British Roadtrip"). Distance over 310 miles.

Tesla UK Sales Manager Gian Avignone frequently drives more than 170 miles a day in a Tesla.

Other real electric cars driven over 170 miles:

- My friend Evan drove his 1990s Citroën Berlingo electric van 180 mile roundtrip in a day.
- Team Racing Green Endurance drove twice around the M25 in their all-electric SRzero, a total distance of over 260 miles

What makes the Ampera claim even more lame is it's not a fully electric vehicle. Of that 170 miles around 30-40 miles will be electric, the rest will be done with petrol. In what way is that an "electric" distance record?

Andrew

Crave article here.

Even more sceptical than I remembered. Happy with that!

@Doug I agree, would be nice to have stats but I don't think Vauxhall (GM's) aim was objective informing of the public. It was intended to "position" the Ampera in a way that flies in the face of facts - as a long-range pure EV. I find it deceptive. Longer term this approach could very well hurt them. Which would be a shame because I think EREVs/PHEVs have an important place in the pantheon of plug-in vehicles.

I've been having a bit of an argument with Vauxhall on their Facebook page about the BS that they are trotting out.

They've also just posted a video on there where Ken Gibson from the Sun, who I know has driven the Roadster in the past, is parroting this 170 mile thing. Then they have Andrew English from the Telegraph planting scare stories about "your daughter running out of power on a dark night". Sickening.

Last edited:
If some publicity stunt like this happens again, we here at TMC should organize a Tesla caravan. That is, 2 to 5 Teslas leave from the same place as the Ampera (from a public street) and surround the Opel the entire trip including the end point. Get into as many photos as possible!

Ampera / Volt to become a parallel hybrid...

This story broke in the Telegraph, but now Auto Express is saying the same thing...

At motorway speeds, there’s a fair bit of roar from the eco-tuned Goodyear tyres and some wind noise across the unfinished body panels. But more of a problem is the poor high-speed acceleration.

To solve this, General Motors plans to unveil a mechanical direct-drive from the engine to the wheels through the existing twin-clutch gearbox.

This would reduce the energy losses of turning petrol power into electricity to drive the car at high speeds, and would also enhance overtaking performance.

The company is also considering an ‘electric-only’ button, which would allow drivers to save their battery range for use in restricted urban areas. It’s clear there’s still some way to go then, but the Ampera is on the right road.

I got this back from them, via Facebook:

Hi David, Vauxhall would like to state that there are no plans to make any mechanical or control changes to the Ampera before its launch in early 2012, and that the vehicle cannot be driven without electricity.

Last edited:
After 40 miles of electric-only running, the engine fires up to generate the electrical current required to propel the car and maintain the battery charge.

The 30-litre fuel tank gives 311 more miles of range. Economy is calculated at an incredible 175mpg.

Running on gas, I calculate 10,4 MPG. Still incredible, but....