Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Open Charger Port without unlocking?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Opening the charge port and unlocking the charge port are two different things.

^ What he said. U can open the port door, but the charging port itself has another actual lock which u can disengage when you have a charging cable attached to the car. An example of unlocking the port is when you are using a supercharger cable with a broken unlock button. You can still use the charger but you will have to use your phone app to unlock the actual charging port to release the charging cable.

Speaking of charge ports, mine just failed on me last night. The charge port opens, but the locking mechanism inside the port is stuck in the locked position which means I can't insert the charging cable. I kept hearing a machine "whirring" sound as if it's trying to bring the lock down but to no avail. Has this happened to anyone? I have an appointment with them today after arguing over the phone since the lady wanted to originally schedule me for the 28th.... I'm guessing it will have to stay with the service until they order the part. If that's the case, I'd rather keep the car and just manually unlock the port to charge my car at home.

^ What he said. U can open the port door, but the charging port itself has another actual lock which u can disengage when you have a charging cable attached to the car. An example of unlocking the port is when you are using a supercharger cable with a broken unlock button. You can still use the charger but you will have to use your phone app to unlock the actual charging port to release the charging cable.

Speaking of charge ports, mine just failed on me last night. The charge port opens, but the locking mechanism inside the port is stuck in the locked position which means I can't insert the charging cable. I kept hearing a machine "whirring" sound as if it's trying to bring the lock down but to no avail. Has this happened to anyone? I have an appointment with them today after arguing over the phone since the lady wanted to originally schedule me for the 28th.... I'm guessing it will have to stay with the service until they order the part. If that's the case, I'd rather keep the car and just manually unlock the port to charge my car at home.

Many months ago someone had posted how to disengage the connector lock from inside the trunk. Caution was advised due to the proximity to the high amperage cables. You can try searching or asking on one of the more general forums.

Many months ago someone had posted how to disengage the connector lock from inside the trunk. Caution was advised due to the proximity to the high amperage cables. You can try searching or asking on one of the more general forums.

This is basically how I"ve been charging my car since the SC wanted me to leave the car with them for a "few days" even tho they had the part in-house. I told them I'll reschedule and just take the car to the SC on a more convenient date for me.

For those who might have this issue in the future, they said they would have to replace the charge port but it is an item they should have in-house and should only take a few hours to install. It also cannot be done by a ranger.