Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vendor Open Source DIY Model 3 Console Wrap Template

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I missed taking a photo of the cameras...

Overall, pretty good. I would like to redo the window trim maybe, but if it holds up well, i wont bother with it. Doing the mirrors were surprisingly easy; I thought i was going to have a more difficult time.

I didn’t realize until after i washed my car that i actually missed a pretty obvious spot on the mirror when it folds. I may try to peel the wrap back up in that spot, or plasti dip it as a simple touch up.

I didn’t use any of the duplicates so i might resell the kit on the black market. :p

Attachments

• 661BA82F-A026-4F51-AEC4-C550FE269E80.jpeg
    661BA82F-A026-4F51-AEC4-C550FE269E80.jpeg
    311.9 KB · Views: 155
  • F9F23766-26EA-4C31-B219-DD2B93455A15.jpeg
    F9F23766-26EA-4C31-B219-DD2B93455A15.jpeg
    595.9 KB · Views: 121
  • 5CA7B793-B555-4BB7-9EDA-440623B76323.jpeg
    5CA7B793-B555-4BB7-9EDA-440623B76323.jpeg
    405.1 KB · Views: 118
Hi Kenriko,

I got your chrome delete kit. Awesome packaging btw. I’ve been obsessively watching the install videos, before I give it a shot.

How important is the heat gun? Do you think a hair dryer would work? Or do you strongly recommend an actual heat gun?

Hi Kenriko,
How important is the heat gun? Do you think a hair dryer would work? Or do you strongly recommend an actual heat gun?

Hair dryer works well. The vinyl quickly warms up and easy to manipulate with a hair dryer. Although i’m sure a heat gun is more efficient, i used the “girlfriend heat gun” for the whole project and i was thankful i had it available.

That's actually something I'm waiting to see how many people actually need the duplicates.
I don't think many people will need all three but I could be wrong.

Maybe just double incase someone wants to try again, but i feel like the vinyl is so forgiving, you can reapply until it’s just right. I found the mirrors quite fun.

Hi Kenriko,

I got your chrome delete kit. Awesome packaging btw. I’ve been obsessively watching the install videos, before I give it a shot.

For optimal adhesion It needs to get to around 180 degrees, many hair dryers can't get that hot. However it should be able to get it hot enough to conform to most of the curves. Maybe it won't last as long but how much of a difference is hard to quantify between say 160 degrees and 180.

An actual heat gun is ~$20 on Amazon / Home Depot / Lowes etc.. you don't need the fancy ~$100 professional Dewalt ones that I buy unless you're doing this stuff all the time.

Reactions: tylerthehuman
For optimal adhesion It needs to get to around 180 degrees, many hair dryers can't get that hot. However it should be able to get it hot enough to conform to most of the curves. Maybe it won't last as long but how much of a difference is hard to quantify between say 160 degrees and 180.

An actual heat gun is ~$20 on Amazon / Home Depot / Lowes etc.. you don't need the fancy ~$100 professional Dewalt ones that I buy unless you're doing this stuff all the time.

Most of the basic ones I see in Home Depot/Lowes wouldn't allow to set temperature close to 180/200, the temp will mostly be very high I think.

Anyways, got my package of Matrix Black yesterday evening. Very nicely and thoroughly packaged, another solid win over Jimmy the postal guy :)

@R1Fast I'm waiting to see your install! :cool: same for you @tylerthehuman :)

Just finished the kit and a fresh wipe with EcH2O but it's too dark to get pics tonight that would reflect how awesome it looks. I spent way more time than I should have but I wanted perfection.

Overall I'd say 6-10 difficulty w/mirrors being a 7.5 (they were much easier than I thought they were going to be). It actually went flawless til Passenger T4. The gasket on the top back is so tight to the chrome I ended up cutting through the film in a couple spots pushing the overlap between the trim/gasket but was able to mostly recover.... though it's not flawless like the driver side.

I also found the backing paper was a good tool to help shimmy the film into tight spaces. It helps in keep its form and keep from getting stuck but can still be pulled away even with little room to maneuver.

@Kenriko you did a phenomenal job with the kit and the videos, thanks for being so thorough. I was actually a little worried about how the Matrix would turn out but I'm glad I took the chance because it looks %$&$# amazing.

Anyway sorry to be a tease...Ill post some better pics in the a.m.

20190818_204944.jpg

Last edited:
Just finished the kit and a fresh wipe with EcH2O but it's too dark to get pics tonight that would reflect how awesome it looks. I spent way more time than I should have but I wanted perfection.

Overall I'd say 6-10 difficulty w/mirrors being a 7.5 (they were much easier than I thought they were going to be). It actually went flawless til Passenger T4. The gasket on the top back is so tight to the chrome I ended up cutting through the film in a couple spots pushing the overlap between the trim/gasket but was able to mostly recover.... though it's not flawless like the driver side.

I also found the backing paper was a good tool to help shimmy the film into tight spaces. It helps in keep its form and keep from getting stuck but can still be pulled away even with little room to maneuver.

@Kenriko you did a phenomenal job with the kit and the videos, thanks for being so thorough. I was actually a little worried about how the Matrix would turn out but I'm glad I took the chance because it looks %$&$# amazing.

Anyway sorry to be a tease...Ill post some better pics in the a.m.

View attachment 443658

Now you’re gonna need to drive to some fancy spot to take Instagram worthy pics

Now you’re gonna need to drive to some fancy spot to take Instagram worthy pics

Ha! You are reading my mind... that's the first stop in the morning on the way to work. :D

Hey BTW, I know you're trying to avoid doing emblems for copyright reasons, but do you happen to know where I can find a DWG/CDR template? Strangely having a hard time finding one on Google.

Anyway the emblems need to go (i.e. match). Do you sell matrix by the foot? LOL.

Ha! You are reading my mind... that's the first stop in the morning on the way to work. :D

Hey BTW, I know you're trying to avoid doing emblems for copyright reasons, but do you happen to know where I can find a DWG/CDR template? Strangely having a hard time finding one on Google.

Anyway the emblems need to go (i.e. match). Do you sell matrix by the foot? LOL.

Go to brands of the world and search for Tesla. You’ll find the vector logo there.

The route I recommend for the logos is actually buying extras from the Service Center painting them black and then installing them where the old ones were. To remove the ones on there you use fishing line after it’s been parked in the sun for a while then use GooGone to remove any extra adhesive.