Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Opening the trunk with some button ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On my M3, 2023, There is a button on the trunk to close it. Once it's close, the button is no accessible anymore.
Is there a button to open the trunk instead of using the app OR open the car door then touch the "trunk open" icon on the screen ?
Most of the time, we open the trunk first to put stuff in there (groceries, bags, etc...) before entering the car. And this is quite a pretty quick operation. Just unlock the car using the remote key then manually pop the trunk up or push a button at the trunk (exterior) to open it.
On Tesla M3, I could not find something similar.
Kind of weird having to enter the car, open the trunk, go put things in it, close the trunk then enter the car again to drive.
This has been an annoyance to me since day 1.

You dont have this button thats detailed in the manual?

===============================

Rear Trunk​

Opening​

To open the rear trunk, ensure Model 3 is in Park, then do one of the following:
  • Approach the trunk with your phone key in your front pocket (see Hands-Free Trunk).
  • Touch the associated Open button on the touchscreen.
  • Touch the rear trunk button on the mobile app.
  • Press the switch located under the rear trunk's exterior handle (a valid key must be detected).
CAUTION
Before opening the rear trunk in an enclosed area (such as a garage), ensure the opening height of the rear trunk is properly adjusted to avoid low-hanging ceilings or objects (see Adjusting Opening Height of Powered Trunk).
Model 3 must be unlocked or detect a key before you can use the switch to open the rear trunk.
Rear of vehicle with zoombox showing detail of the switch on the rear trunk exterior handle

Press the switch located under the rear trunk's exterior handle (a valid key must be detected).
THANKS SO MUCH. This method works great, like on any other cars that I owned.
Took me 8 months to know this, 3 months to know how to get water spray on the windshield.
No wonder why most ladies do not want to drive a Tesla even if their husbands bought it for them.
My wife can drive this M3, but she does not know how to control other obvious things.
I had a friend, her husband bought her a Tesla (costing 100K at that time), she did not want it because it's too complicate to learn.
Her husband bought her a Mercedes, and he drive the Tesla instead.

Before opening the rear trunk in an enclosed area (such as a garage), ensure the opening height of the rear trunk is properly adjusted to avoid low-hanging ceilings or objects
I put a tape mark on the garage floor behinh the car. Each time I park the car in the garage, I put in REVERSE just to see this tape mark is seen and lined up with the back of the car, then put the car in PARK. This way, the trunk has room to move all the way up without touching the garage door.

Took me 8 months to know this, 3 months to know how to get water spray on the windshield.
No wonder why most ladies do not want to drive a Tesla even if their husbands bought it for them.
My wife can drive this M3, but she does not know how to control other obvious things.
I had a friend, her husband bought her a Tesla (costing 100K at that time), she did not want it because it's too complicate to learn.
You may not mean it this way, but this post sounds incredibly sexist. This has nothing to do with "most ladies" or anything like that.

Also, both of those things (how to get the water spray on the windshield, and where the button on the trunk is) are both clearly spelled out in the manual online manual (which is also available in the car). It should be the first place you look for something like "does this car have a windshield spray?" or "how do I open the trunk?".

Reactions: Mrdrbot23
Is this your first car? I have owned much older cars, also have used more modern Mercedes and BMW, all of them have the exterior trunk release in generally the same area (between the two rear license plate lights). I found it immediately intuitive and didn't even have to consult the manual to find it.

For example it's in the same area on the E-Class (right between the two license plate lights, heck even the button looks almost exactly the same):
2019_mercedes_benz_e_class_trunk.jpg

If this confuses you, I don't see how the Mercedes would be any better.

You may not mean it this way, but this post sounds incredibly sexist. This has nothing to do with "most ladies" or anything like that.

Also, both of those things (how to get the water spray on the windshield, and where the button on the trunk is) are both clearly spelled out in the manual online manual (which is also available in the car). It should be the first place you look for something like "does this car have a windshield spray?" or "how do I open the trunk?".

I wish I could give this comment more than one like. My eyes rolled so hard when I read that "most ladies" comment I was worried that they'd stay that way. As a woman, I read manuals and figure things out and fix them just as often as my male partner in my household. Comments like this grind my gears (ha) - encountering any of these "most ladies" and the men who view them that way would infuriate me and I'd want nothing to do with them. The majority of my female friends are just as smart and capable and don't wilt when confronted with something unfamiliar. They learn and adapt no less than men.

I apologize for my statement that mentions "most ladies". I did not mean to offend ladies. I have seen many ladies driving Tesla. Some people I know (relatives, friends) are ladies who are reluctant to buy, drive Tesla cars. My wife does not like "controls" done on the screen. She can drive it only when necessary. The next EV I plan to buy for my wife will be one that have typical buttons for AC/heater, radio, MP3 player, etc... Tesla is too complicate for her.
Reading manuals is my weakness even in my life time career (as a firmware developer as I believe software has to be user friendly, like Windows, Android) etc...). I only read manual when I absolutely need it. For example: how to locate and remove the spare tire of my Kia minivan to replace a flat tire on the road.
For Tesla, I learned most of the stuffs from youtube and some from this forum. Much better to see how things are done.
Forums and youtube are great sources of information for me to learn for many decades.
For example:
a) audio/video capturing / editing and mastering,
b) how to use advanced features of my professional Yamaha keyboards,
c) how to do certain handyman works (plumbing, electrical, flooring, etc...). I installed the Wall Connector myself (complying with electrical code) for charging my Tesla up to 40A, although my M3 is limited to 32A. Thanks to youtube videos.

• Disagree
Reactions: icy1007

PLUS both of those features are carry overs from ICE cars. It seems OP is the one that's uncomfortable with Technology

It seems OP is the one that's uncomfortable with Technology
Sorry, I have been a high tech guru (design and write software code in my entire career until I retire). As Tesla minimize the number of familiar buttons, I was led to believe that opening the trunk with the screen or with the app is the norm ( like setting AC / heater, turn ON/OFF head lights although it's already automatic, etc...)
There are still lots of Tesla high tech stuff that I do not quite understand due to lack of disclosure from Tesla.
Will post some questions on these later.

Sorry, I have been a high tech guru (design and write software code in my entire career until I retire). As Tesla minimize the number of familiar buttons, I was led to believe that opening the trunk with the screen or with the app is the norm ( like setting AC / heater, turn ON/OFF head lights although it's already automatic, etc...)
There are still lots of Tesla high tech stuff that I do not quite understand due to lack of disclosure from Tesla.
Will post some questions on these later.
Tesla doesn't need to disclose it since every other car works the same. MANY brands have a trunk release in that spot and MANY brands have the windshield washer fluid there. You didn't ask a question; you stated it as a design flaw.

Reactions: icy1007